The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

I'm a Uni of Kent Student - Ask Me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
For background I have applied for higher Student Finance but I don't know if I will be able to receive it ( I will know in 6 weeks) because my home situation is complicated.

The student accommodation I want to apply for is an en suite but I don't know if I would be digging my own grave at this point.

So... would I be an idiot if i applied for an en suite before knowing if I am accepted for the full amount of student finance?

Hi there!

I was in a similar situation when I applied for my accommodation a few years back. When applying for accommodation, you are able to rank your choices based on preference. If you are interested in an en-suite, you can put them higher in the ranks, and then select some cheaper options below that. If you are offered the en-suite room but cannot afford it, you can decline it and you'll be given a choice of accommodation you ranked lowered if there is availability.

I stayed and Turing and had friends living in Keynes and Park Wood. All of the accommodation is really nice, so no matter which one you pick, you are going to have a blast! Good luck :smile:

- Nathan
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by hcoxy03
This might be a bit niche but how do you enrol into the Moodle modules, it keeps asking for an enrolment key as I try to enrol for the “Prepare for Law” module but not once have I been shown a key? Any help?

Hi @hcoxy03,

Really sorry for the delay!
Did you manage to solve this issue or do you still require some help?
Let me know and I will look into this ASAP if needed :smile:

On another note - law is a great course here at KLS, it was a great choice! :smile: You will really enjoy it.
I'm a current 3rd year law student, so if you'd like to ask any questions or get some advice, feel free to DM us or post on this thread:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7060166

- Agnes
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hi @hcoxy03,

Really sorry for the delay!
Did you manage to solve this issue or do you still require some help?
Let me know and I will look into this ASAP if needed :smile:

On another note - law is a great course here at KLS, it was a great choice! :smile: You will really enjoy it.
I'm a current 3rd year law student, so if you'd like to ask any questions or get some advice, feel free to DM us or post on this thread:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7060166

- Agnes

Yes.
My Student Finance and accommodation has been sorted out.

Thanks for the responses though!! 😁👍
Original post by Anonymous
Yes.
My Student Finance and accommodation has been sorted out.

Thanks for the responses though!! 😁👍

Amazing, glad to hear! :smile:
We can't wait to welcome you in Sept!

- Agnes
Hi, I just wanted to know about part-time jobs--I recently received an email from the university about job offerings for f&b staff.
I do want to get a part-time job but I'm not really comfortable with jumping on to the only option I have right now.
Do you know what it's like working part-time inside the campus, and do you know whether it's popular(so I should sign up soon)?
Also, do you feel there are enough part-time jobs outside of the campus that I can apply to after I get there without any rush?
Thanks!
Original post by yuyuh06
Hi, I just wanted to know about part-time jobs--I recently received an email from the university about job offerings for f&b staff.
I do want to get a part-time job but I'm not really comfortable with jumping on to the only option I have right now.
Do you know what it's like working part-time inside the campus, and do you know whether it's popular(so I should sign up soon)?
Also, do you feel there are enough part-time jobs outside of the campus that I can apply to after I get there without any rush?
Thanks!

Hello!
There are many jobs within both university and in the city center that you can apply for! There are some jobs that have you working for the student union, on the marketing team or even for the CO-OP located within the campus! But there are also many jobs in the local city center (which campus has a direct bus too). Working within the university is often popular as it's local, flexible and pays reasonably well! You'll often get emails about job opportunities within campus so be sure to look for those regularly! But if you're scared about rushing there are many jobs outside of campus all year round!
Any further questions don't hesitate to ask!
- Dale
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hello!
There are many jobs within both university and in the city center that you can apply for! There are some jobs that have you working for the student union, on the marketing team or even for the CO-OP located within the campus! But there are also many jobs in the local city center (which campus has a direct bus too). Working within the university is often popular as it's local, flexible and pays reasonably well! You'll often get emails about job opportunities within campus so be sure to look for those regularly! But if you're scared about rushing there are many jobs outside of campus all year round!
Any further questions don't hesitate to ask!
- Dale

Thanks a lot, helped me very much!
Hi,
What do you think about the flex catering package? Are there a lot of people using it?
I'm thinking about whether I should get it to cut down cooking time, but also the one-year scheme is holding me back...
Hello! This maybe not a question you were expecting but it’s been on my mind for ages. If you get a 1 day exclusion in Year 7 will it affect my future into trying to get into the Kent University or Sixth Form?
is the uni close to the town/city so it's easy to go out?
Original post by alrightyyy
Hello! This maybe not a question you were expecting but it’s been on my mind for ages. If you get a 1 day exclusion in Year 7 will it affect my future into trying to get into the Kent University or Sixth Form?

Hi!

No, it won't affect your application. As long as you meet the university's requirements for the course you'd like to study :smile:

Let us known if you have any more questions and best of luck!

Tracy
UKC Rep
Original post by StudentRep Medway
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I'm a current student at the University of Kent and wanted to share my experience to help anyone looking to study at Kent :smile: I know these are tricky and uncertain times and I want to offer some reassurance and support so that you feel you can still make an informed decision on your university offers.

Also, if you're more interested in what the campus and accommodation is like, you can do virtual tours of our Canterbury and Medway campuses!
Virtual Tours

Ask me anything about Kent :biggrin:

Hi I need some information please regarding interview procedures
Hi, I got offer from Kent and Swansea to study msc computer science which one to choose?
Reply 113
hi! i have a few questions regarding the Woolf College Accommodation. 1- are the flats only-male and only-female? 2- is it possible to request to be in the same flat as your friends? 3- what do the names of Woolf College stands for? e.g. Woolf College freshwater, Woolf College Bell thank you in advance for your response
Original post by hazielnut
hi! i have a few questions regarding the Woolf College Accommodation. 1- are the flats only-male and only-female? 2- is it possible to request to be in the same flat as your friends? 3- what do the names of Woolf College stands for? e.g. Woolf College freshwater, Woolf College Bell thank you in advance for your response

Hey!

1. The flats are mixed sex, but you can sometimes request to be in male/female only
2. I think you can request this, it's just not guaranteed - It's best to contact [email protected] ASAP for any requests for either this or your 1st question (especially as the term is starting soon)! :smile:
3. The names of Woolf college are all to do with Virginia Woolf, so things to do with her work (freshwater), family (Vanessa Bell - her sister) .etc :biggrin:

Hope this helps!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 7 months ago)
What is the difference between Student Representative and Student Ambassador? What offers a more chance in networking? Are they paid plaid jobs? Can I do both?
Original post by CalmCalamity
What is the difference between Student Representative and Student Ambassador? What offers a more chance in networking? Are they paid plaid jobs? Can I do both?

Hi @CalmCalamity ,

Luckily I have both jobs so can outline below what they are and their benefits... (also you can do both!)

Student Ambassador

Activities for this role mainly include: talking to prospective students on open days/applicant days, giving campus tours and there are some other roles which come up throughout the year such as applicant calling for your School. This involves calling applicants who have received offers to study at the university, inviting them to open days and answering any questions they might have

You can also do outreach work which. This varies a lot but most often involved going to a school to help deliver events, talk about university or assisting in their learning. One role I currently have involves going to a school once a week to help students boost their confidence with reading, this role is called a reading support and if you have any questions or want me to talk more about this I would be happy to (I just wanted to cover some other things to help answer your question)

This is also a paid role (minimum wage unless you do outreach work which is paid a bit more). See here for more information: https://www.kent.ac.uk/ambassadors/band-structure (note that ambassadors are Band A and any outreach work is band B

Usually with this role, you get e-mails about work opportunities (first come first serve), you apply for them then get accepted. After you do the event you then claim your hours

There is a lot more information which can be found here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/ambassadors

Student Representative (student rep)

In this role you are involved leasing with staff and students to ensure students feel heard

You can get involved in organising events and holding events to better student experience amongst your course

The reps are part of Kent Union (the student union at Kent) so they hold a lot of events to help with your employability and provide networking oppurtunities

This is not a paid role but the union do hold events to celebrate student reps!

More information can be found here: https://kentunion.co.uk/student-voice/student-reps

At the welcome fair (during freshers week) there is usually a stand with Kent Union where you can talk to them about becoming a rep and what that involves.

Finally, both roles are designed to fit around you. So with student ambassador you can select which roles you take up and work. With a student rep role you must go to the 3 meetings held (which happen over the academic year - this is a minimum requirement) but after this you can take up roles as you see fit. The commitment to each role is down to you but you do get more out of them if you are able to commit more.

If you have any more questions please let us know.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Note - the reps you see on student room are different to Student representatives mentioned above (at least in the case of Kent university)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending