The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I bulls.h.i.t all the time :wink:
Reply 21
It's a lot different with philosophers and other artsy students I think because it really doesn't matter what you know...in some ways, that makes it a lot worse because you don't know how you've done at the end.
Reply 22
shiny
I bulls.h.i.t all the time :wink:

That's because you are at oxford.
Reply 23
MadNatSci
If you don't know it and you guess, you'll look far more stupid than if you just admit you don't know. Someone was once interviewed by our then-chaplain (who is a damn good physicist) for engineering and tried to tell him how MRI worked; despite getting clear hints that he was going completely wrong ("Are you sure?") he carried on making up crap confidently and assuredly. Once he'd finished Keith smiled at him and said, "Well, that's interesting because when I wrote the patent for MRI, that isn't how it worked."

roflmfao

I love that!

A.
Reply 24
Strawberries...
Let me guess you are applying to read economics?

They asked me to do the same thing, but i only wrote down 3 topics i'm interested in: Development of the Asian Tigers and japan
the stability of the oil markets
multinational activity

and i have applied to bath, bristol, manchester, cambridge, ucl and nottigham. i got an offer from bristol, manchester and nottingham.

when is your interview?
what college did you apply to ?

good luck! :smile: :smile:

I have applied at Q ueens you? Have you got an offer for L100 at Nottingham? you are SOOO lucky... well.. you must have so amazing grades and PS :P
Reply 25
missgalaxy
I have 2.

Me one interview with 2 doctors as well :smile:
Reply 26
irisng
What've you applied for again, Freddy? - think you applied to King's didn't you?

yep, economics at King's

Helenia
Saying no too many times will get you minus points. But bull:smile::smile::smile::smile:ting when you really don't know the answer will also do that. I said "I'm sorry, I don't know" at least twice in my interview - it was fine, they just encouraged me to think about it differently, and at one point had to give me clues!

okay then, that's sorted, i have to "i don't know"s and then that's it lol, i'll try and keep to that one.

and about BS'ing, well i'll try not to do that, though sometimes, i found in my mock interview, i do loose track at times and my mind goes semi-blank and somehow only the not-so-important answers comes to mind :frown:

MadNatSci
If you don't know it and you guess, you'll look far more stupid than if you just admit you don't know. Someone was once interviewed by our then-chaplain (who is a damn good physicist) for engineering and tried to tell him how MRI worked; despite getting clear hints that he was going completely wrong ("Are you sure?") he carried on making up crap confidently and assuredly. Once he'd finished Keith smiled at him and said, "Well, that's interesting because when I wrote the patent for MRI, that isn't how it worked."

are you from Sidney Sussex? i heard that at their open day, one of the member of staff there said exactly that.
Freddy C

are you from Sidney Sussex? i heard that at their open day, one of the member of staff there said exactly that.

Yep, that was Keith:smile: It's our favourite story so we make him tell it lots :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending