The Student Room Group

need help cant afford travel cost!!

hi im going to be studying at keele university, the problem is the cost of travelling. i got the rail card but still it will cost £8.50 a day. on top of that i need to get a bus from the stoke train station which costs £2 if i get a plus bus with the railcard. so it will cost £10.50 a day, £52.50 a week and £210 a month. This is quite alot of money for me, is there any help with funding for travel cost i can get and is there a cheaper ticket i can get which i can reduce the cost of the train and bus journey. i cannot live there due to reasons. I dont want to end up not going keele cos of travel problems, i know yiou are going to say so why go there in first place, however i had no other choice. Laso i applied for students loan however i was going to use that on sumthing else. any ideas please thank you.

thank you for your help
Reply 1
coach? might be cheaper
Reply 2
Why the hell are you commuting then?
Reply 3
Get a job? £50 a week sounds about right, for just one days worth of work.
Reply 4
dr junior
hi im going to be studying at keele university, the problem is the cost of travelling. i got the rail card but still it will cost £8.50 a day. on top of that i need to get a bus from the stoke train station which costs £2 if i get a plus bus with the railcard. so it will cost £10.50 a day, £52.50 a week and £210 a month. This is quite alot of money for me, is there any help with funding for travel cost i can get and is there a cheaper ticket i can get which i can reduce the cost of the train and bus journey. i cannot live there due to reasons. I dont want to end up not going keele cos of travel problems, i know yiou are going to say so why go there in first place, however i had no other choice. Laso i applied for students loan however i was going to use that on sumthing else. any ideas please thank you.

thank you for your help

What's this something else?

Any chance to get a student account that comes with an interest free overdraft?

Have you talked to financial advisers from your university? They helped me get some funding as well.

Do you even have to go to uni every day of the week? I only ended up going there 3 days a week, and I know someone who only went 2 days a week.
Um this is what you're meant to be using the loan on unless you're using it for something else vital to uni? I can't see you'd be using all on something else uni related ...

Go to your travel centre - talk to one of the people there and see what kind of passes you can get.

The uni should have a bursary fund but if you're spending your loan on something non uni related then they're unlikely to help you out.
Reply 6
You might be able to get a weekly ticket on the train, or even a monthly one - which should work out cheaper than paying every day. Just to let you know, you can't use your railcard before 10:00am on some services so you need to make sure of this before deciding to pay every day.

Keele uni may be grants and funding for their students so this is well worth looking into as well. There should be some information on their website, under the student services section or something.

As said before, your loan could be used to buffer the costs and a part time job could help as well. weekend work is better, if you can get something on a sunday it may pay time and a half too.
Reply 7
ty all i think got very good advice wat i will do is first ask about how many days a week ill travel and then ask for financial help. like many stated maybe i mite not go everyday. And the railcard is a bit stupid cost its intendd for 16-21 or adults on full time course, dont they expect them to start uni at 9 am. anyway ty all i will do all this tommorw.
dr junior
ty all i think got very good advice wat i will do is first ask about how many days a week ill travel and then ask for financial help. like many stated maybe i mite not go everyday. And the railcard is a bit stupid cost its intendd for 16-21 or adults on full time course, dont they expect them to start uni at 9 am. anyway ty all i will do all this tommorw.

But you have financial help. It's called a student loan... And this is what you're supposed to spend it on.
Reply 9
lol can the admin delete this thread as its now pointless
You didn't tell us what you need to spend all your loan on :p: ... is it something really private?
Reply 11
lol i thought u only get a few hundered pounds in loan so im pretty well sorted now becuase u can get more than 1 grand after doing sum research:eek: . ty all :borat: Lol this got to be the worsest thread ever!!!!!
Reply 12
That ammount of money is probably less than you would spend per month on rent if you were living close, I'm sure this won't be much of a problem for you

Latest

Trending

Trending