The Student Room Group

Hours!

i am beginning y13 in september and have started a new job this July, I currently work up to 30hrs per week

Mon - Off
Tue - Off
Wed - 6-10
Thur - 6-10
Fri - 6-10
Sat 6-10
Sun 3-9

I was thinking of approaching my boss with the following in the last week of Aug

Mon - Off
Tues - 6-10
Wed - Off
Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun - 6-10

I really only want to work up to 31 hours per week
What do you think -is it manageable
Reply 1
i am beginning y13 in september and have started a new job this July, I currently work up to 30hrs per week

Mon - Off
Tue - Off
Wed - 6-10
Thur - 6-10
Fri - 6-10
Sat 6-10
Sun 3-9

I was thinking of approaching my boss with the following in the last week of Aug

Mon - Off
Tues - 6-10
Wed - Off
Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun - 6-10

I really only want to work up to 21 hours per week
What do you think -is it manageable
Reply 2
this is not going to help you but what your job?
Reply 3
I am a kitchen porter and a dessert chef - when working as a KP I can be working through to 12am
Reply 4
31 hours working as well as a-levels? I know I wouldn't have had the time to work that much as well as make a proper go of my exams.
Reply 5
What do you suggest I do - That's why i'll have mon and wed off to do work at home as well as daytime during weekends
Reply 6
SORRY! i ONLY MEANT 21 HOURS.
I'll have mon and wed off to do work at home as well as the daytime during the weekend
I did 13 hours a week over two days when I was still at school.

To be honest, I'd say something in the region of about 15 hours a week is probably manageable
Reply 8
Scotsman1988
I did 13 hours a week over two days when I was still at school

Where did you work and how did you get the job? Everywhere I've looked they've not wanted somebody working such few hours.
Reply 9
i did 13 hours at KFC for year 12 but it was hard even though it was friday and saturday as it meant i had only sunday to do work over the weekend but had other days in the week.
Original post by T&#334
Where did you work and how did you get the job? Everywhere I've looked they've not wanted somebody working such few hours.

Tesco - they tend to employ lots of people on small contracts like this.
If you are excellent with your time management, it is doable.

During my A-Levels I worked 13 hours at a local supermarket and 13 hours in a local pub (till 1am on thursday and sunday nights. x.x)

equally, another girl on my course did nights 4 nights a week at another supermarket.

If you're prepared to really make the time you've got work - Use your free periods to work instead of muck around with friends, and work your ass off at home, it can work.

HOWEVER, please do not try and work yourself this hard over exams. You'll burn out. You'll almost definiatly need to reduce your hours for the 2-3 months approaching exam month, and the few weeks over exams.
If I was you, I would reconsider working Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday nights. I think you might get a bit fed up working four nights in a row, especially at the weekend when you might want to go out with your friends.

In Year 13, I worked between 13 and 15 hours per week, which was manageable for me. I wouldn't really reccommend working much more than this, because you will need time for work and for relaxing too!
Reply 13
I have to work in order to help support my family
Reply 14
Through my a levels I worked monday 5pm-12am, tuesday 5pm-12am, saturday 5pm-1am, and sat + sun 9am-3pm...that's with two jobs.
I stopped everything during my A level revsion and exams (for different reasons though) I think I would have been a lot more stressed out to be working during exams. When I worked through my AS levels to try and swap shifts and change hours was just hassle...
I did around 20 hours a week throughout my A levels, I also did overtime during my A2 exams, good times
Reply 16
I'll only be working 6 hours a week when i go back to uni.

Personally i wouldn't have worked that much during my A-levels but if you think you can manage then go for it, and if you're finding that it's too much after a couple of months then i'm sure your boss would understand and maybe cut your hours down again

Latest

Trending

Trending