The Student Room Group

Got poor grade in AS.. what to do now?

I got e (english lang),u,u,u (Business,psychology, theology)

I thought I'd done very well in my psychology exam but i got a U! I had written the correct star studies to all the questions and a supporting study in the 18 mark question. I was expecting a minimum of a C!

english lang at our school is appauling, so I didn't know what I was expecting.

(ocr) Business - I thought I'd get a D atleast. Done well on the first exam (hamster's hilton). done terrible on the 2nd one and done well on the last exam (CLN.)

Theology is forced upon us in our college.

Anyway, I wanted to know what my options are. My last option is to retake the year. I'm thinking of doing english lang as A2, and business and psychology AS exams in january and move all the A2 exams to june.
Then I would be pledging myself to do atleast 8 hours of study a week.

Anyone help me out here?

Scroll to see replies

shazada.pathan
I got e (english lang),u,u,u (Business,psychology, theology)

I thought I'd done very well in my psychology exam but i got a U! I had written the correct star studies to all the questions and a supporting study in the 18 mark question. I was expecting a minimum of a C!

english lang at our school is appauling, so I didn't know what I was expecting.

(ocr) Business - I thought I'd get a D atleast. Done well on the first exam (hamster's hilton). done terrible on the 2nd one and done well on the last exam (CLN.)

Theology is forced upon us in our college.

Anyway, I wanted to know what my options are. My last option is to retake the year. I'm thinking of doing english lang as A2, and business and psychology AS exams in january and move all the A2 exams to june.
Then I would be pledging myself to do atleast 8 hours of study a week.

Anyone help me out here?

Don't bother starting A2 and then resitting certain AS modules in January and June, I'd completely start again if I were you. This would give you a better chance of actually passing, since you'll already know the content of your courses....
Yes, from what you have said it sounds like you would be better off starting Year 12, and AS levels again completely.
It will ensure you get better grades as you will be recapping the content in class and should automatically get better grades.
You won't have the added stress of sitting A2's at the same time as well, which will mean your grades should be higher.
Reply 3
You should start AS again. This will benefit you in your 2nd year aswel. If you can get good grades in your 1st year it will help to a better grade in your 2nd year and a better uni. Just remember to stick to your revision plans!!!
Reply 4
Retake the whole year, it is unfeasible for you to do A2.
I don't mind being stressed out. If I put in the effort for the next 10 months by putting in atleast 8hours study a week, I'll be saving myself 12months.

I REALLY don't want to do year12 again. Especially psychology. I felt I answered every single question to a very good standard and I was absolutely shocked to see I got a U. I even checked after the exam had finished and I had written the correct studies to the questions.
Reply 6
Hmm. I really think you should do year 12 again. That's just me though.

Good luck.

Bye.
Reply 7
I don't care if you really don't wanna retake year 12 (no offence) but your school/college would be absolutely stupid to let you move onto A2 with those grades. I know at my college you have to get atleast a C overall in AS to continue to A2. I'm sure there's something in place at your school/college too, if not then there should be.

You're willing to put in 8 hours study a week? Really? We were recommended 12 hours a week and that was when we weren't resitting anything. You cannot resit four exams aswell as doing A2 stuff. I'm sorry but it just isn't realistic. You'd be hindering all your chances if you were to do so, in my opinion.

You failed, deal with the consequences. I don't see there being any choice here whatsoever :/
Reply 8
don't restart just be realistic when your applying to uni's i.e the ex-polys.
I want to start it at another sixth form/college. Our sixth form is really negative about things and it's been the most demotivating year of my life.

I want to get my papers remarked. Especially psychology because I even checked the answers after the exam and I should've got atleast a C.

paddy: what do you mean by ex-polys?
Reply 10
Just redo the year.
You seem to be trying to justify doing badly; you can't blame it on your school. Even if the English Lang department is crap that doesn't explain why you got an E if you put the effort on. Theology being compulsory also doesn't explain why you did so badly. You need to take responsibility for your grades.

Redo the year. No matter how hard you work you're not going to do as well as you could if you retook the year, and you predicted grades are going to be low. Order your scripts back, go through them with your teachers and work out exactly where you went wrong.
Retake the whole year.
You'll just do badly trying to cram all the AS modules in January, and all A2 in June.
Plus 8 hours a week is kind of pathetic. We were advised to spend a minimum of one hour studying outside the classroom for every hour we spent in it... so, essentially around 24 hours studying a week on top of classes...:yep:
Reply 13
op -CHANGE your school and redo the year. Otherwise you will end up with bad A2 RESULTS too. You will end up losing two years instead of one.

good luck
So everyone thinks I should retake the year. Lets see how it goes....
Reply 15
I got a D in chem, D in bio, C in physics and B in geog!!!
i wanted to do pharmacy but my predicted grades are goin to be very low, is it best to do redo the year 12 again at another 6form or to carry on with A2 and resis modules in bio and chem?
would uni's know that i have resat year 12 again....and would it become a disadvantage to my application next year?? if i do resis year 12 again i will def have to do bio and chem as thats the requiremnt for pharm.
HELP!! what shud i do??/..........i am more worried about not get offers from uni's after having done year 12 again!!
Reply 16
PJ90
I got a D in chem, D in bio, C in physics and B in geog!!!
i wanted to do pharmacy but my predicted grades are goin to be very low, is it best to do redo the year 12 again at another 6form or to carry on with A2 and resis modules in bio and chem?
would uni's know that i have resat year 12 again....and would it become a disadvantage to my application next year?? if i do resis year 12 again i will def have to do bio and chem as thats the requiremnt for pharm.
HELP!! what shud i do??/..........i am more worried about not get offers from uni's after having done year 12 again!!

Univ need good kids. So redoing yr for good grades is not a crime. You can be honest in your PS and say you goofed off first time around. :biggrin:
Reply 17
As many have said, retake the year; you can't feasibly do A2 and get anything worth having when getting EUUU at AS, because the stress would kill you... you'd need to retake almost every exam :p: And 8 hours a week?! My school makes us do 5 hours of classwork and 5 hours of homework per week per subject (20 hours of classes, 20 hours of homework), but I suppose that might be a bit excessive... whatever, if you wanted to move straight onto A2 you'd need to do a hell of a lot more than 8 hours per week.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 18
I would re-take the year, and think about retaking it at a different college.
But if I had got good grades in A2, along with 2 subjects in AS the same year, that would surely be a good point to mention to unis. That, and the fact that I wouldn't have to do another 12 months of A-levels, especially with the new syllabus and A*'s, is what's motivating me to continue to A2, somehow...

Latest