The Student Room Group

Surpassed grade predictions, should I reapply next year to better unis?

Hey, I surpassed my grade predictions and got triple A, when all I needed was ABB. What I want to know is whether it would be worth it to drop out of the process altogether - i.e. ask to be released from my firm choice (Royal Holloway for Psychology) and reapply next year to better universities? If I did that, could I still apply to a couple of the same universities I originally turned down when I got offers (I was sure I wouldn't get the grades)? And on the off-chance this is a huge mistake, could I reapply to Royal Holloway again? It's a real pain for me, because I haven't visited many uni's at all. Help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes you could u could do a gap year or work for a year.
Reply 2
AAA- you shouldn't be going to Royal Holloway.
Reply 3
AAA will get you into the top unis providing the rest of your application is up to scratch, I'd talk to your head of sixth form/college about it, they'll know how strong your entire application is and be able to give you some sound advice.
Royal Holloway is a FANTASTIC university for Psychology, with top research facilities etc.
Unless you feel sure you want to take a gap year, you shouldn't pass the opportunity to go there! Plus the Founders building is breathtaking, the nicest I've seen at any university ever :P
Reply 5
Right, the rest of my application is very strong and if I decide after a year that I do want to go to Royal Holloway, then my re-application will be even stronger with work experience and travel and what not. Thanks for your advice guys! Now. That phonecall monday morning to Royal Holloway wont be fun but oh well.
Reply 6
Nariel
Right, the rest of my application is very strong and if I decide after a year that I do want to go to Royal Holloway, then my re-application will be even stronger with work experience and travel and what not. Thanks for your advice guys! Now. That phonecall monday morning to Royal Holloway wont be fun but oh well.

What a waste of time. You've already got into a top university, and you're thinking of faffing around for a year just for the chance of going somewhere even 'better'. Seems you're just not ready for uni yet :rolleyes:.
Reply 7
Inside
AAA- you shouldn't be going to Royal Holloway.
Why not? It's a perfectly good university.

To the OP: AAA guarantees nothing. You might do "better" by re-applying; then again you might not. RHUL might not be interested in a re-application; then again, they might. What you have to decide is whether you like the course and the uni you have, and whether the risk that you might end up with something you like a lot less is worth taking.
Reply 8
Minerva
To the OP: AAA guarantees nothing. You might do "better" by re-applying; then again you might not. RHUL might not be interested in a re-application; then again, they might. What you have to decide is whether you like the course and the uni you have, and whether the risk that you might end up with something you like a lot less is worth taking.

Definitely.
As a psychology applicant, I have realised that often what subjects you take can be more important than grades.

Do you take any science subjects? Even Geography or Psychology?

Top unis for Psychology are keen to get more science orientated students...
Oh.. i just found out on your profile you take Psychology, Biology and Philosophy (plus AS Chemistry).

I think you have a really good chance of getting into an even better uni! Biology is really useful. Consider unis such as UCL, Bristol and Warwick :smile:
Reply 11
wait what uni do you want to apply to

and yeah if you dont want to go to holloway then take a gap have fun and enjoy all the unconditionals your going to get from pretty much any uni you want !
mdhey89
What a waste of time. You've already got into a top university, and you're thinking of faffing around for a year just for the chance of going somewhere even 'better'. Seems you're just not ready for uni yet :rolleyes:.

Shut up you idiot! Making a uni decision is supposed to be thought out and if the OP sees fit at trying to get the best he/she can get out of higher education then it is very commendable.
i took a gap year this year and re applied to get into a better uni as i exceeded what i thought i would get and honestly its the best decision of my life!.. as soon as you start thinking that you could go somewhere better its the end of the road for that uni that yaer as you'de just end up going and wondering what "could have been" for the rest of ure time there (Well thats how i saw it).. take the chance and im sure u wont regret it :smile:
RHUL is a v. good university; but, you should reapply if you don't feel like it is the right university for you.
My thoughts: just be happy with getting good grades, and consider the fact that your education should not be dictated my university rankings, rather, on your finding a course you enjoy and working to get your degree regardless- because what's going to be different? The fact you can say I'm at a 'top university'? But oh yeah, that's what's really inportant :rolleyes: :end of my thoughts...
If you liked it enough to pick it as your firm, what's the problem? I needed BBBB and got AAAA, and I'm certainly not thinking of reapplying to get into say a top 5 uni, (I'm going to a top 15 uni) even though I definitely could. It's because reputation isn't everything. I'd much rather go to a uni I liked and take a course that I liked that was say, #20, than go to the best uni in the country for a course that didn't suit me.

Unless you really have doubts about the RHUL course, and you only chose there because you thought it was 'in your league' - then yeah, maybe consider it. It just seems a bit pointless...it's not like your firm is Lincoln uni or anything :p:
CrazyBeautiful
My thoughts: just be happy with getting good grades, and consider the fact that your education should not be dictated my university rankings, rather, on your finding a course you enjoy and working to get your degree regardless- because what's going to be different? The fact you can say I'm at a 'top university'? But oh yeah, that's what's really inportant :rolleyes: :end of my thoughts...

lol
take a year out and see what your options are, oh and congrats on the grades, you should be celebrating not worrying :smile:
Reply 19
mdhey89

I don't think work experience is 'faffing around' as you put it, and if I can go somewhere better then why the heck not? And obviously I'm not ready for uni yet if I'm spending a year figuring stuff out am I? Your comments are hardly insightful.

Latest

Trending

Trending