The Student Room Group

General/speculatave covering letters

Afternoon,

I've decided to hand in a CV to every shop I would be willing to work for. I don't want to just hand in a CV with no covering letter. Saying that I don't want to spend all day writing individual letters for each company. I've been trying to write a general letter where I can just change the company name and a few other details so far I've come up with ...

Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is Xxx Xxx and I have a desire to develop a career in retail. I am writing to ask if (Insert company name) have any vacancies or will have in the near future.

As you can see from my enclosed CV, I have a wide range of skills built up through my varied work experiences which include team work, customer service, stock control and cash handling.

I am looking for a fresh challenge in a customer based environment. I am available to start as soon as required. If you do have any vacancies please contact me at your convenience.

Thank you for taking the time to deal with my request and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours faithfully
Xxx Xxx

What do you think?
Your name is at the bottom of the letter and the top of the CV - you don't need to open with it as well.

You should also try to find a real name to address the letter too, not just Sir/Madam.

On a more subjective note, I wouldn't say 'desire' it's a bit ott, I'd go for something more professional - trying to develop, developing, working to develop etc.

Do you have any vacancies, or anticipate vacancies in the near future - it's obvious you are writing to ask.
Reply 2
Thanks!

I will take my name out the opening line.

As for the sir/madam, I feel that is sufficient so I'll be leaving that in.

I will change the desire bit, maybe it is a bit ott. I am trying to develop my retail carer, I think that sounds a bit better.
I dont mean to sound defeatist but alot of retailers have a specific recruitment policy, so CV blanketing wont neccesarily work, I know it wouldnt work where I work. You need to go in there and ask for application forms or ask them their recruitment policy (ideally ask/phone their HR manager). Also is this your first job?

Latest

Trending

Trending