The Student Room Group

Can someone please explain like I'm an idiot how to get a first job

Hi I'm 16 trying to get a job but I don't understand anything about the whole job search, application and interview process I'm autistic so that might have something to do with it so could someone explain step by step how your supposed to get a job
Original post by Anxious_addy
Hi I'm 16 trying to get a job but I don't understand anything about the whole job search, application and interview process I'm autistic so that might have something to do with it so could someone explain step by step how your supposed to get a job

Step one: Create a CV. Include GCSE's (if you've done them), any volunteering or extracurriculars or an about me section. There's plenty of templates online so you can see what they are meant to look like and your school may assist you in writing this

Step 2: Find jobs you want to apply to. Strongly recommend indeed.

Step 3: Look at the job application process for the jobs you've found and organise what they are asking for.

Step 4: Most jobs require you to submit your CV and a cover letter. so this step is all about writing your cover letter. It should be written as an actual letter with your address and the companies address. If you know the hiring manager address it to their name. If not i generally go for "to whom it may concern" or "dear hiring manager" or "dear company name". Here you expand on things in your CV. Why are you a good candidate and why should they hire you. Also why do you want to work there. Do some research on the company and include that in your CV. "I want to work here because you are an ethical company who has strong community values" etc. Again there are templates and examples on line

Step 5: Wait. Just wait till you hear back. If you haven't heard back in a week or two id either email or phone politely just to enquire.

Step 6a: If you get an intimation to an online assessment: This is generally a collection of questions and they are normally situational judgements. What would you do in certain situations. There are different styles of this and if you want to become familiar with them, there are practice tests online.

Step 6b: If you get an invitation to an assessment centre: Similar to the online stuff often but generally tend to be in a group. Make sure you contribute. If you feel nervous, shy or dont have an idea then I recommend being the leader of sorts. Don't be overpowering or try tot take control but be the timekeeper. If you see people trying to contribute but not be listened to, speak up for them. My favourite phrase is "i think we should do this ... because of this .... but i am happy to go with the majority". Shows you have ideas but are still a team player.

Step 6c: If you get invited to an interview: This may be a phone call, zoom/teams or in person. If online make sure you are in a quiet calm place. There are plenty of mock questions online to give you an idea but every company will do this differently. I recommend having a few answers for common questions such as "what is your greatest weakness and why" what is your greatest strength and why". Be honest but not too critical. if you can't think f anything ask friends, family and teachers. It is likely that they will ask you why you want to work for them so make sure you've done some research. They may also ask you if you have any questions. Try to have at least one prepared!

Step 7a: You got the job: Wo! Congrats. If they ask for any information (e.g. national insurance number) give that to them promptly. You may have trial shifts, training etc but that will be dependant on the company and they will give you information closer to the ime.

Step 7b: You didn't get the job. Thank them, ask for feedback, ask them to keep your application for further consideration and move on to the next job.

To reduce stress pick an interview outfit and wear that to every interview so you dont need to stress. (I go for a smart blouse, blazer, black trousers and black shoes).

If you can't find any jobs print your CV off and go into shops and hand it in

Alternatively, you can post looking for a job on facebook. I have gotten jobs with 2 different pet sitting companies by doing this.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions. Good luck!
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by flamingolover
Step one: Create a CV. Include GCSE's (if you've done them), any volunteering or extracurriculars or an about me section. There's plenty of templates online so you can see what they are meant to look like and your school may assist you in writing this

Step 2: Find jobs you want to apply to. Strongly recommend indeed.

Step 3: Look at the job application process for the jobs you've found and organise what they are asking for.

Step 4: Most jobs require you to submit your CV and a cover letter. so this step is all about writing your cover letter. It should be written as an actual letter with your address and the companies address. If you know the hiring manager address it to their name. If not i generally go for "to whom it may concern" or "dear hiring manager" or "dear company name". Here you expand on things in your CV. Why are you a good candidate and why should they hire you. Also why do you want to work there. Do some research on the company and include that in your CV. "I want to work here because you are an ethical company who has strong community values" etc. Again there are templates and examples on line

Step 5: Wait. Just wait till you hear back. If you haven't heard back in a week or two id either email or phone politely just to enquire.

Step 6: If you get an intimation to an online assessment: This is generally a collection of questions and they are normally situational judgements. What would you do in certain situations. There are different styles of this and if you want to become familiar with them, there are practice tests online.

Step 7: If you get an invitation to an assessment centre: Similar to the online stuff often but generally tend to be in a group. Make sure you contribute. If you feel nervous, shy or dont have an idea then I recommend being the leader of sorts. Don't be overpowering or try tot take control but be the timekeeper. If you see people trying to contribute but not be listened to, speak up for them. My favourite phrase is "i think we should do this ... because of this .... but i am happy to go with the majority". Shows you have ideas but are still a team player.

Step 8: If you get invited to an interview: This may be a phone call, zoom/teams or in person. If online make sure you are in a quiet calm place. There are plenty of mock questions online to give you an idea but every company will do this differently. I recommend having a few answers for common questions such as "what is your greatest weakness and why" what is your greatest strength and why". Be honest but not too critical. if you can't think f anything ask friends, family and teachers. It is likely that they will ask you why you want to work for them so make sure you've done some research. They may also ask you if you have any questions. Try to have at least one prepared!

Step 9: You got the job: Wo! Congrats. If they ask for any information (e.g. national insurance number) give that to them promptly. You may have trial shifts, training etc but that will be dependant on the company and they will give you information closer to the ime.

Step 9b: You didn't get the job. Thank them, ask for feedback, ask them to keep your application for further consideration and move on to the next job.

To reduce stress pick an interview outfit and wear that to every interview so you dont need to stress. (I go for a smart blouse, blazer, black trousers and black shoes).

If you can't find any jobs print your CV off and go into shops and hand it in

Alternatively, you can post looking for a job on facebook. I have gotten jobs with 2 different pet sitting companies by doing this.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions. Good luck!

i dont think they mean corporate jobs with this long application process.
the post it in part-time and temp employment

what kind of job? like a holiday job? or a full time career kind of thing?
if you are looking for casual work like waitering, working in a shop, doing work at events then have a look round your neighborhood for places hiring, and sign up to temp agencies in ur city
Reply 4

Do a online profile for places like retailers etc Via there own website....
Follow all the instructions online and after you have completed your profile then you start searching for Jobs in your local areas and apply for them, now if you are successful with that part you'll be given a online assessment to complete and hopefully afterwards again if you are successful you'll be invited to a in-store interview with the manager and then await news about whether you are offered a job.
Don't give up if unsuccessful with anywhere as keep trying until you get a job offer okay.
You are fine with being 16 as most places wouldn't take you under that age and just remember that most big retailers ( especially supermarkets) will have restrictions on what you can do until you are 18 but otherwise you are fine for applying.

Majority of retailers will only take applications online only, wee local shops might take a written note from you and may ask you to call back for a chat.
Original post by steamedclams

I’ve had all of those situations happen for retail jobs at 16! I broke it down fully so they had multiple options. They haven’t all happened for the same job. But I did an assessment centre for 2 jobs, interviews for most and an online assessment centre questionnaire thing for 2. I just fully broke it down to steps cause that’s what they asked for!
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by steamedclams

i think the step-by-step takes into account both corporate + part time jobs. i work in a fast food restaurant, and i still applied on Indeed, wore smart clothes to the interview and submitted a cover letter. no harm in being professional!
Original post by aloevera4
i think the step-by-step takes into account both corporate + part time jobs. i work in a fast food restaurant, and i still applied on Indeed, wore smart clothes to the interview and submitted a cover letter. no harm in being professional!

I’ve never actually applied to a corporate job but yes I thought I’d cover everything!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending