The Student Room Group

Ruined life

I am 19 years old and i have done nothing of worth with my life at all. i am ashamed of myself, but what's the point in trying to change now? it's too late. most of my young life is gone and i can't turn the clock back now. i feel like i'm being judged no matter what i do. i live with parents still and i have had been feeling like this for the last few months. i haven't had a job in the last 2 years and life has been horrible. i feel so hopeless, everyone else has done well in life except me it seems. i just don't know what is left for me now. i am single and will never get a gf in my situation. i want the motivation but depression keeps pulling me down and no medication or therapy is going to change this. i wish it wasn't like this. i just wish i could turn the clock back and change what happened in my personal past life that could have saved me from becoming the emotional wreck i've become. i don't know what else to say, i just needed to vent in the hope i'd hear some encouraging words.
Original post by Anonymous
I am 19 years old and i have done nothing of worth with my life at all. i am ashamed of myself, but what's the point in trying to change now? it's too late. most of my young life is gone and i can't turn the clock back now. i feel like i'm being judged no matter what i do. i live with parents still and i have had been feeling like this for the last few months. i haven't had a job in the last 2 years and life has been horrible. i feel so hopeless, everyone else has done well in life except me it seems. i just don't know what is left for me now. i am single and will never get a gf in my situation. i want the motivation but depression keeps pulling me down and no medication or therapy is going to change this. i wish it wasn't like this. i just wish i could turn the clock back and change what happened in my personal past life that could have saved me from becoming the emotional wreck i've become. i don't know what else to say, i just needed to vent in the hope i'd hear some encouraging words.

Most of your young life? You’re 19 and you’ve got plenty of time to find some goals and ambitions.
Reply 2
Original post by Fermion.
Most of your young life? You’re 19 and you’ve got plenty of time to find some goals and ambitions.

I’m not young anymore
I’m not young anymore

Yes you are? You’re 19 not 29.
Reply 4
Have you actually tried medication or therapy?
I’m not young anymore

Dude, I'm 22 and I've genuinely wasted my life so far as well. I would give anything to be 19 again. It's almost not even a problem at your age. Maybe if you were 30 or so where it would actually be a wasted youth. You've still got basically 10 years of youth left. Do not let a second go by starting from now where you're not trying to change. You do not want to get to 30 and regret it.
Ok first and foremost, you ARE young. You literally have more than 40 years of work until you retire lol I'm in my mid twenties would I be classed as ancient to you? 😜

This sort of age you can't help but compare yourself to your peers and what their accomplishing. Focus on yourself and your own journey. Are you living with your parents? Now would be a great time to save money to ensure you are financially secure. Getting a job is a matter of persistence and companies prefer hiring youngsters like yourself as they don't have to pay as much as the older staff. Are you passionate about a certain degree/course? Then work hard to achieve the grades you need.

The world is your oyster and there are opportunities everywhere. Good luck!!

You’re just 19 - your entire life is still in front of you! If you’re not at uni, maybe look into apprenticeships, degree apprenticeships and work experience to give your CV a boost and help you decide your career goals. If you’re in the position where you maybe haven’t done well in your GCSEs/A levels, maybe look into retaking them so you’ve at least got passés in English and maths. Please don’t hesitate to ask if you need any support or advice and don’t give up!!! :smile:
Original post by Fermion.
Probably my best chance to tell you about a success story; hopefully that'll help. My brother was the same a couple years ago, at 20 had nothing to his name. Single, virgin, clapped and unemployed.

He was influenced by the wrong people and quickly became very depressed. At which point he had a choice to make, make do with his current self and live life miserable, or clap back.

The first change I noticed in him was determination. Whether or not he was going to achieve something, he would write it down and make sure to have a look at it everyday. He had a list of what he wanted to achieve long-term and short-term. Whenever he felt useless he would open up the list and stare at it for a good time. You could see by his stance and his glance how much he wanted to change. The determination was there, the motivation and discipline not so much.

The 2nd thing I found noticeable was him actively trying to motivate himself, there was one quote he had printed and blue tacked against the wall. Something along the lines of "the best time to do it was yesterday, the next best time is now." Everytime he would want to shy away from what he should be doing to improve himself he would have a look at that quote and switch to his game face. Music was also something he adopted. I'm not sure what he listened to but it seemed to get him real fired up. He slowly began doing things step by step. Not everyday was a success. I could see the pain his face whenever he went a day without something productive. But he made sure to attempt something each day. And when he was successful he treated himself.

Slowly he began to form a routine. He would plan the next day before he slept exactly what time he would wake up, and what he would do during the hours in-between till he slept. For someone who did a single push up a day to doing an entire workout routine a day it was some feat.

He spent time researching, working out, doing online courses, meditating, revising , and for every successful activity he would allocate half an hour to entertainment.

Hope this helps man. One thing he told me is that the only thing limiting him was his mind. Once he broke out of the prison of his mind he was free to accomplish whatever he wanted.

I used to see this guy as nothing short of lazy and genuinely can't see why no one else could fix up like he did
Reply 9
19 is young :lol:
You have your whole life ahead of you! Plenty of time to set goals for yourself.
19 is not old, you're still a teenager. How is your life ruined? How is most of your young life gone? Your still very young. You've got your whole life ahead of you. I wish I was 19 but I'm in my late twenties, how old do you think I feel? I'll be 30 in a few years 😩 everyone would like to go back in time and change something but it's not possible. You can't change what's happened but you can make your future better. Stop thinking of what others have done, there isn't a race or set age to do something. Everyone is different and will do things at different ages or not at all, it doesn't matter, no ones life is the same as someone else's. Live your life, be happy.

(btw I'm still living with my mum and I don't have a job either but I've nearly finished my masters degree. I started uni later than most people, I wish I'd started at a younger age but things didn't work out, I got there eventually. Most people my age are ahead of me, they have careers, a family of their own but not me. I'm still in education and single, never had a relationship and don't think I ever will. I never in a million years thought I'd get into uni but I did. It took me longer than others my age but I got there in the end so I'm hoping the rest will fall into place when it's meant to.)
Original post by LovelyMrFox
19 is young :lol:
You have your whole life ahead of you! Plenty of time to set goals for yourself.

This is so true. I am not young I am in my early 60s and most of my life I have been unable to work due to health problems which have become more so as I get older. Sometimes I think I have wasted my life. But then I tell myself not to be hard on myself. I am a good person and I know I am intelligent and I have a wonderful husband who loves me a lot. Please count your blessings and don't give up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending