The Student Room Group

Implant and weight gain

Do people really gain a lot of weight on the implant, like a couple stone? I’ve read so many different things where people say they do, and then they don’t. On a lot of article it’s believed to have said that it’s not a side effect. But when I spoke to my doctor they said that a lot of people have been complaining about huge weight gain since the implant?
Original post by Jones448
Do people really gain a lot of weight on the implant, like a couple stone? I’ve read so many different things where people say they do, and then they don’t. On a lot of article it’s believed to have said that it’s not a side effect. But when I spoke to my doctor they said that a lot of people have been complaining about huge weight gain since the implant?

This is the thing with some hormonal contraceptives, they affect everyone differently. You really won't know whether you'll gain weight or not until you try it and find out. You can try it and if you find that you're experiencing a few side effects and you don't like it, you can try a different contraceptive instead. It can take a bit of trial and error.
Original post by Jones448

Increased appetite is a side effect of contraception, that in turn would obviously lead to weight gain. Weight gain isn’t a side effect. Just make sure you’re eating healthily if you do see a change in appetite!
Hey!
My lifestyle is very active (gym 5x a week, climbing and swimming) and i keep a close eye on my nutrition. I had the implant fitted 2 years ago and ever since my weight as gradually gone up. I completely believe my implant has effected my weight causing me to gain, my nutrition side never changes nor activity. It really is just a side effect and it your comfortable with it then there is no problem. over 2 years i went from 9 stone area too 11st area, so it is a gradual increase.
I have been taking the implant for 2 years now. over the 2 years i have gradually gained weight. I go to the gym 5 times a week, plus climbing and swimming along side that giving me massive calorie deficit. I have actually worked out estimates and I defiantly believe i have gained weight from the implant as it doesn't add up with my lifestyle.

Quick Reply

Latest