The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Is University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) a good uni?

I'm looking at several unis and UCLan is one of them - is it a good uni?
imo - yes
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Yes ucl good uni
Original post by Lipstick Plant
I'm looking at several unis and UCLan is one of them - is it a good uni?

Hi @Lipstick Plant ,
It's great you are looking for the right uni that suits you. Are you thinking of starting in 2020 or looking for 2021?
Let me know if I can help with any questions you have!
All the best,
Catherine
Reply 4
Absolutely the worst university in the world. Staff don't care about students at all, they always pass you through different departments for a small piece of work and they waste an incredible amount of time. Lecturers don't explain anything to the students and they literally get paid for doing nothing.. students union almost never answers your emails and support has completely been neglected in this university. It is also hard to get through their old-fashioned computers and printers. Don't waste your time and money. Don't try this university. I tried it and that was the biggest regret of my life.
Reply 5
Original post by Faz57743
Absolutely the worst university in the world. Staff don't care about students at all, they always pass you through different departments for a small piece of work and they waste an incredible amount of time. Lecturers don't explain anything to the students and they literally get paid for doing nothing.. students union almost never answers your emails and support has completely been neglected in this university. It is also hard to get through their old-fashioned computers and printers. Don't waste your time and money. Don't try this university. I tried it and that was the biggest regret of my life.

What course did you took there?
Reply 6
Original post by Zuzuuuu
What course did you took there?

Master of architecture. Are you planning to study at uclan?
To be honest - no. If you have options to study elsewhere, then I would. It does, however, depend on the course you wish to study. I have had a very negative experience, a lack of help from tutors, a lack of access to decent / basic resources. It is hard to get a short-term extension for work (it should not be). Many tutors do not reply to emails and often, when they do, they pass you on to a different department, it feels like you are fighting a losing battle when trying to access basic information. Although this is not directly UCLANs fault - my three year course has been hideously impacted by strike action and it is very rare we are informed about this. Finally, I would estimate a solid 40% (that is being kind) of my lectures/ seminars have been cancelled, with no replacement of suitable material - I do not consider a recording from 2015 suitable, in 2022/23 when I am paying £9,250 a year. Having said all of this, there are some exceptions and some of the staff have been absolutely incredible with their help and responses but unfortunately are majorly let down by the majority! I am on a small course and I truly believe that is why my experience has been the way it has, as some of my friends, on bigger courses, have had positive experiences, so I would suggest doing your research based on the course you wish to study!
Original post by Anonymous
To be honest - no. If you have options to study elsewhere, then I would. It does, however, depend on the course you wish to study. I have had a very negative experience, a lack of help from tutors, a lack of access to decent / basic resources. It is hard to get a short-term extension for work (it should not be). Many tutors do not reply to emails and often, when they do, they pass you on to a different department, it feels like you are fighting a losing battle when trying to access basic information. Although this is not directly UCLANs fault - my three year course has been hideously impacted by strike action and it is very rare we are informed about this. Finally, I would estimate a solid 40% (that is being kind) of my lectures/ seminars have been cancelled, with no replacement of suitable material - I do not consider a recording from 2015 suitable, in 2022/23 when I am paying £9,250 a year. Having said all of this, there are some exceptions and some of the staff have been absolutely incredible with their help and responses but unfortunately are majorly let down by the majority! I am on a small course and I truly believe that is why my experience has been the way it has, as some of my friends, on bigger courses, have had positive experiences, so I would suggest doing your research based on the course you wish to study!

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to read your post above. I understand your post is anonymised but would like to help look into this further for you if you would be happy to share further details? Please direct message us on here or alternatively via any of our core social media channels https://www.uclan.ac.uk/contact/social-media and I can investigate this further for you.

Your feedback is also critical in order to make change and improvements to the student experience at the University so would welcome you to add your thoughts via this link (internal link for students): https://msuclanac.sharepoint.com/sites/StudentHub/SitePages/Share-your-feedback.aspx

Best wishes
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending