The Student Room Group

Which Unis should I apply to for Economics FAQ: The Econ uni Application Guide

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
LSEfreak
why do you think you are going to get ABB when you got AABB in As? module mark low? otherwise resit and get higher marks. UCL

well the maths B was a low B, and I was thinking that maths is is only going to get harder. btw i am resitting C1 maths to get higher marks.

And IT is a lot of coursework based on Microsoft Access which I havent really used before (And I scraped the A in this)
Economics was a decent A
Reply 81
sv90
Maths, History, Econs for A-Level
Further Maths and RS for AS-Level

Are you suggesting then:
(assuming no FM)

Any choice
Any choice
AAB.1
AAB.1
AAB.2

?
yes

sv90
Why is Bristol below Nottingham in your league table but holds higher average tariff entry?
because the primary sort criterea is the typical offer. Nottingham's is AAA. Bristol's is AAA-ABB. For Bristol I have used AAB as it is the middle one and seems to be the most commonly made offer.

sv90
Is it harder or easier to get into?fwiw, I applied to Bristol last year and was rejected, but didn't apply to Nottingham. Would having applied for Bristol already put me at a disadvantage of applying again? I also wouldn't go to St. Andrews because I'm not keen on moving up to Scotland, which leaves me with no more AAB.1 choices?
Don't apply to St Andrews if you don't want to go there. With Bristol, your 07/08 application will not directly the treatment of an 08/09 application to Bristol. (Though if you can work out why you got rejected that would help with an application this cycle). (Where else did you apply to ? and who rejected/made offers to you?) I don't think I will try an answer directly your Notts v Bristol how easy it is to get a palce question. i.e. I have included everything I know already on this subject in the opening posts in this thread. But I will say that though both places are outside the top 5 to get an offer for either place would be an achievement.

sv90
Would say,

LSE
UCL
Nottingham
Bath
Southampton

be good? If, in theory, UCL is 'easier' to get into Warwick and I wouldn't choose Warwick ahead of UCL anyway, I guess it makes sense to eliminate Warwick

Well is UCL easier to get into than Warwick?
Reply 82
Who knows?! Some people say it is, some people say it isn't. Your league table suggests it is, but people say you shouldn't judge difficulty of entry by tariffs. (Is that a rhetorical question? :biggrin:)
As long as you have 4 A's in decent subjects you will get an offer from Nottingham. Not sure about 3 A's though - it is a lottery.
Reply 84
sv90
Who knows?! Some people say it is, some people say it isn't. Your league table suggests it is, but people say you shouldn't judge difficulty of entry by tariffs. (Is that a rhetorical question? :biggrin:)

I am not sure that 459 c.f. 473 is a big enough gap to suggest that there is any difference in the population charecteristics.
Reply 85
Is it correct that Southampton/York were both in clearing this year and are both at the very least decent unis for Economics? Is it really worth me choosing Southampton as a UCAS choice if I could get it through clearing anyway?
Reply 86
sv90
Is it correct that Southampton/York were both in clearing this year and are both at the very least decent unis for Economics? Is it really worth me choosing Southampton as a UCAS choice if I could get it through clearing anyway?

That was only for International Students.
(Check out the Clearing 2008 page of the TAELT spreadsheet for more details).
Reply 87
A 2nd additional answer to the same question! :smile:

What kind of spread should I go for? (Part 2)
I tend to classify unis into 3 categories:
Category 1 Unis you would be surprised to get an offer from
Category 2 Unis you would be surprised if you did not get an offer from.
Category 3 Unis you would not be surprised either if you did or did not get an offer from.

I think you should have unis from all categories:
no category 1: Under applying. i.e. risk getting 5 offers and then wondering "what if?"
no category 3: Over applying. i.e. risk getting 0 offers and ending up in clearing/Extra/gap Year
no category 2: No midfield i.e. if you don't get into your category 1 unis (because they don't make you an offer or you don't make the grades) then you will not end up in a uni which is beneath you.

note: this analysis assumes you are well informed and honest with yourself about the strength of your application. If not it will only confirm your prejudice!
Reply 88
I got AAAAA at AS level, continuing 4 at A2, is there a high chance I could get rejected from all 5 of:

Cambridge, UCL, warwick, nottingham, durham.

They're all really top unis but I really would be disappointed to get into anywhere less, may sound arrogant but I'm really desperate to get into the best places.
notts and durham = good chance I reckon.

the rest are more of a lottery :p:
Rob_dob
I got AAAAA at AS level, continuing 4 at A2, is there a high chance I could get rejected from all 5 of:

They're all really top unis but I really would be disappointed to get into anywhere less, may sound arrogant but I'm really desperate to get into the best places.

I know you're angsting because economics is so competitive and you just want some reassurance but use some common sense! You have excellent grades so go write a decent personal statement and you are bound to get some offers.

Unless you aren't doing maths at A level, in which case you probably won't get an offer...
Reply 91
Rob_dob

Yes there is a good chance you could end up wih no offers.
Hence I suggest adding in AAB.1 and AAB.2 unis as well.
Reply 92
Hrov
hi, i want to do economics at uni, and just wondered what sort of unis I should apply to. My AS grades are AABB, and i think that i should get between ABB/BBB at A2. But dont know my predictions.

Is there anything I can do to make me seem a better candidate? Im hopefully going to have a decent part time job within the next month, and play a bit of sport but not much else.

check out the threads in my sig.
But if your analysis of your academic situation is accurate then you must focus on your school work.
i.e. "we" want AAA/AAB at A-level not ABB/BBB.
As a swede the one alternative I see to UK universities for international reputation and quality of education is the SSE (Stockholm School of Economics). Would it be possible to, in some way, compare the performance of the SSE to LSE, Cambridge, UCL, Warwick etc? As this probably only concerns me on this forum I can try to look into the matter myself if just hinted in the right direction. I do, however, know that there are a lot of swedish highschool students interested in a comparison of the above mentioned character.

Capoc
Reply 94
A follow up to my question(s):

I understand that I should be having a good 'balance.' However, I can't bring myself to drop any of my top 3 (LSE, UCL, Notts) for another AAB.1. Also, if I've already got Bath, surely having Bristol as another 'backup' doesn't make sense since Bristol is definitely harder to get into. Or is it just giving me a better shot of getting an AAB.1?

LSE is my 'dream' university, with UCL 2nd and Notts 3rd. If I got UCL I wouldn't go to Notts since I want to stay in London. However, I guess Notts is slightly 'easier' (or less difficult) to get into. Should I consider dropping LSE since it's definitely the longshot option (though gettable with AAA?) or do I need to drop Notts?
Just a quick question, I noticed that Manchester (BSc) is AAB whereas Manchester (Ba) is ABB. I am considering Manchester for my insurance place, would it be advisable to opt for the Ba course on the assumption that there will be less demand and it will be easier to get an offer? I got AAAA at AS-level, so I am quite confident of achieving either offer.
Reply 96
sv90
A follow up to my question(s):

I understand that I should be having a good 'balance.' However, I can't bring myself to drop any of my top 3 (LSE, UCL, Notts) for another AAB.1. Also, if I've already got Bath, surely having Bristol as another 'backup' doesn't make sense since Bristol is definitely harder to get into. Or is it just giving me a better shot of getting an AAB.1?

LSE is my 'dream' university, with UCL 2nd and Notts 3rd. If I got UCL I wouldn't go to Notts since I want to stay in London. However, I guess Notts is slightly 'easier' (or less difficult) to get into. Should I consider dropping LSE since it's definitely the longshot option (though gettable with AAA?) or do I need to drop Notts?

If you don't particulalry rate any of the other AAB.1 unis c.f. Southampton then stick with your 5.
Reply 97
somemightsay
Just a quick question, I noticed that Manchester (BSc) is AAB whereas Manchester (Ba) is ABB. I am considering Manchester for my insurance place, would it be advisable to opt for the Ba course on the assumption that there will be less demand and it will be easier to get an offer? I got AAAA at AS-level, so I am quite confident of achieving either offer.

You should check out how the Manchester courses vary. But generally Ba courses are not as good. I don't know (or remember?) your subjects, but I would hope that your grades were good enough to get a Manchester (Bsc) offer.
Reply 98
Paulwhy
If you don't particulalry rate any of the other AAB.1 unis c.f. Southampton then stick with your 5.

Ok cheers. :smile:
Paulwhy
You should check out how the Manchester courses vary. But generally Ba courses are not as good. I don't know (or remember?) your subjects, but I would hope that your grades were good enough to get a Manchester (Bsc) offer.

Thanks, I think I'll stick with the BSc course. I'm doing Economics, Maths and English Literature (+ General Studies :rolleyes:) at A2 this year, all predicted A, and also have an A in AS Geography, so I'm hopeful that will be enough to get me an offer for the BSc course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending