The Student Room Group

is this a risky plan?

basically due to poor as level results my teachers are refusing to predict me aab and i am now predicted abb. I know that i can definitely get AAB, otherwise i would have given up on medicine. With ABB i am definitely going to get 4 rejections so i will be applying for 2010 entry next year, ahead of my gap year. If get 4 rejections from that would it be worth reapplying bearing in mind that i would have taken 2 gap years and be 21 by the time i start the start the course. I really would have liked to start the course at 18 for various reasons but getting 4 rejections after 2010 entry is worrying me. The other thing, which is a more pressing matter, is that my school are encouraging my to apply to southampton's bm6 programme and they think i have a good shot thereas meet all of the requirements. However if i was lucky enough to get an offer from them i really dont know whether i would accept because soton is where i live at the moment and ive always wanted to go up north. Im half hearted about applying to bm6 because i really do want to study medicine, just not in southampton but then if i wasnt to apply there for 2009 entry, i might for 2010 entry and i may regret my decision if i dont apply for 2009. If i do apply to bm6 this year it will be my only uni choice and the school will give me help with interviews, references etc but they're unlikely to do so if i go for 2010 entry because i would have left. The thing that is motivating me at the momen to work hard for my alevels is the idea that i cant apply to uni yet but i fell as if i may slack if i apply to bm6 because of the lower requirements. I know this is all jumbled but can anyone help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sd91
With ABB i am definitely going to get 4 rejectionsWhy?

If get 4 rejections from that would it be worth reapplying bearing in mind that i would have taken 2 gap years and be 21 by the time i start the start the course.
Take as many gap years as you want, 21 is relatively young to start medicine.
Reply 2
Renal im sure you know what im getting at. Universities wont even look at my applicaton based on those predicted grades when they require AAB. There was someone in the year abov me who was predicted ABB and got 4 straight rejections by december. All of the institutions i want to apply to (manchester, sheffield, nottingham and liverpool) want AAB so it really would be stupid of me to apply this year. It's a good reason for rejection
Reply 3
sd91
Renal im sure you know what im getting at. Universities wont even look at my applicaton based on those predicted grades when they require AAB.
Are you confusing 'requirements' with 'typical offer'?
Reply 4
Renal
Take as many gap years as you want, 21 is relatively young to start medicine.

I read somewhere (might have been Imperial's website) that if you're applying 2 or more years after you took your A-Levels, you need to do the GAMSAT instead of the usual BMAT.

Do you know anything of this? I thought the GAMSAT was for graduate medicine.
Reply 5
Renal

Yes i probably am. Im going to ring some admissions tutors now, this really is confusing me
Why are your teachers being so stubborn, seriously? When you go back to school, you need to speak to your head of year or UCAS officer and explain to them how you're restricted from standing a good chance with your application with low predictions and say how much you're going to try your hardest with resits and upcoming agains to ensure you meet your wanted predicted grades. Seriously, I'd get my parents involved if that doesn't work either.
Reply 7
!MEna
Why are your teachers being so stubborn, seriously? When you go back to school, you need to speak to your head of year or UCAS officer and explain to them how you're restricted from standing a good chance with your application with low predictions and say how much you're going to try your hardest with resits and upcoming agains to ensure you meet your wanted predicted grades. Seriously, I'd get my parents involved if that doesn't work either.

Some schools are really funny with predicting grades higher than they think they should be. I know my school predict you what you got at AS with no exceptions (apart from perhaps if someone has specific circumstances as to why they did badly - i.e. they were ill/relative died). Apparently it's to give you a realistic idea of what you are able to achieve to you don't try to apply for courses which ultimately you will miss the offer for. It's a bit stupid really though as people can mess up AS and do well at A2.

To the OP I think you need to ring up admissions tutors directly to see what your chances are at different universities. If you need to take a gap year then take one if medicine is what you want. You could work and earn money in your gap year for when you are at medical school so all is not lost :smile:
Reply 8
x.beth.x
It's a bit stupid really though as people can mess up AS and do well at A2.
Yes, people can improve between AS and A2 but, more often than not, they don't.
Renal

You have so much fun being pedantic. :biggrin:
Reply 10
Beska
I read somewhere (might have been Imperial's website) that if you're applying 2 or more years after you took your A-Levels, you need to do the GAMSAT instead of the usual BMAT.

Do you know anything of this? I thought the GAMSAT was for graduate medicine.

It's only PMS that do this (unless Gimerps has jumped on the bandwaggon too)
Reply 11
Speedbird2008
You have so much fun being pedantic. :biggrin:
Yep, but so many people forget that not only do you not have to have the 'typical offer' to apply to medicine but that 'typical offer' is just that, people can and do receive different conditions.
Reply 12
Fluffy
It's only PMS that do this (unless Gimerps has jumped on the bandwaggon too)

That's must be where I read about it. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 13
You could apply to PMS- their typical offer is ABB so you'd certainly stand a chance there. Also, consider going to your head of year to negotiate a higher grade prediction if you really think you could acheive it. Worked for me as the head of year assured said teacher that it wouldn't be on their head if I missed the prediction. Out of interest what did you gain at AS with the B prediction thats causing all the fuss?
Reply 14
apply for biology and then do post graduate medicine??
Reply 15
abu.10
Wrong on three points, it would be more but you haven't bothered to share any more of your lack of knowledge and flawed reasoning.
You see we didn't have this problem at my college. We practically told our teachers what we needed to be predicted and they did it.

I only know of one person at my college who struggled to get a prediction.
Renal
Yes, people can improve between AS and A2 but, more often than not, they don't.

I got AABB at AS level & was caking it because the B was in chemistry & you need an A. I ended up getting AAAA, so I'm sure you can, too.

It's worth noting that with AABB and a prediction of AAAA, I got four rejections.

Get your A-levels, get straight As then reapply.
Just to inform you, typical offers are not 'requirements' although they can be construed as such to some degree. You'd definitely stand a better chance with the AAB prediction, but I think you'll just have to work with what you've got.

Another thing I'd like to say is that sometimes you can't get what you want, you want to go up north and you want to do medicine, things won't necessarily work out so don't get yourself down about the whole thing.

Other than that, give it your best shot and you'll be grand.. You can try persuading your head/whatever to give you a little boost but some schools have really strict rules when it comes to that and won't do it for anyone.
abu.10

Only do this if your A-levels are crap. Post-grad is more difficult to get into, and you also need a fantastic pass rate to be considered. It's also more expensive, but that goes without saying.

Latest

Trending

Trending