The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
xMiss_Sarahx
They both bored me to tears.
Mechanics has to be taught well.
I can understand how some people could enjoy mechanics, but in my experience for the majority of people mechanics is a fate worse than death.

You're definitely right about needing it to be taught well. I found mechanics so much easier at college than I did at uni although it was essentially the same stuff (although I'd forgotten most of it lol when I went to uni)

Basically though most things can be solved fairly quickly with conservation of momentum or conservation of mechanical energy. Forces just need resolving usually and matching all the bits up. Its a case of practice, after stupid amounts of practice you tend to build up an inventory of methods more so than actually understanding the principles - but thats probably because A-level mechancis papers are usually very similar.
-G-a-v-
You're definitely right about needing it to be taught well. I found mechanics so much easier at college than I did at uni although it was essentially the same stuff (although I'd forgotten most of it lol when I went to uni)

Basically though most things can be solved fairly quickly with conservation of momentum or conservation of mechanical energy. Forces just need resolving usually and matching all the bits up. Its a case of practice, after stupid amounts of practice you tend to build up an inventory of methods more so than actually understanding the principles - but thats probably because A-level mechancis papers are usually very similar.

The principles were never an issue for me (until M3 where i was completely lost due to a lack of physics and a teacher who I can only presume presumed I had a knowledge of physics...you can't start teaching M3 SHM without first telling someone what the frig SHM is!!), the answers were just always wrong :woo: most frustrating thing in the world.
Reply 62
xMiss_Sarahx
The principles were never an issue for me (until M3 where i was completely lost due to a lack of physics and a teacher who I can only presume presumed I had a knowledge of physics...you can't start teaching M3 SHM without first telling someone what the frig SHM is!!), the answers were just always wrong :woo: most frustrating thing in the world.

I never did M3 (we had to do stupid D1 instead :mad: ) so we only did it in A level Physics which is scared of proper maths - but we got SHM, in all its second order differential equation glory, in Vibrations and Waves in first year uni. Felt like there were more differentials than words half the time.
Sports Racer
I did

C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, M1

:cool:

Stats: get a random number, plug it into one of 5 equations and hope that the long string of numbers that comes out is right
Mech: bit of trig, bit of vectors, bit of GCSE physics

I'd recommend mechanics, even though I despised it more than stats.
That's what I'm doing.

If you can't do that OP, do mechanics, even more so if you're on OCR since their syllabus for S1 is ridiculous - permutations / combinations, need I say more?
!MEna
That's what I'm doing.

If you can't do that OP, do mechanics, even more so if you're on OCR since their syllabus for S1 is ridiculous - permutations / combinations, need I say more?

I am doing OCR :eek:
From most people's opinions, it seems that STAT is quiet easy, I am aiming to get A on maths so I'd go for the easiest choice even if it is very boring.
I am doing Bio so I was recommended to go for STAT as it will link to that.

I am not sure whether my college have an option of doing further pure maths components in opposed to doing S1/S2 or M1/M2....I'll talk to my maths teacher about it :smile:

Thanks everyone for you help:biggrin:
Reply 65
whoever negged me.
could have at least left a name -_-
Reply 66
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=630802

Found this on TSR, I think the majority of people are in agreement that Statistics is easier than Mechanics. I'd check through some of the past papers to see what you would prefer or which would go well with your other subjects.

Just in case you can't do your 'research' here are some links.....(Seems a bit silly for someone to give negative rep just for asking)

Mechanics 1 june 07:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/past_papers_2007_June/AS_GCE_Mathematics_4728_01_June_2007_Question_Paper.pdf

Statisitcs 1 june 07:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/past_papers_2007_June/AS_GCE_Mathematics_4732_01_June_2007_Question_Paper.pdf
Reply 67
!MEna
That's what I'm doing.

this guy is a n00b
Reply 68
edboon
this guy is a n00b

shut up you prick.
Mechanics. Every time :biggrin:
Seriously, Stats is useful for Economics/Accountancy/loads of jobs including Medicine I'm told. On the other hand, Mechanics is useful for Physics/Engineering and the like.
Reply 70
Alot of people find stats easier (people in my sixthform tend to have done better in the S1 module, rather than M1 - which most people found quite difficult.), and i guess stats also complements your choices of bio and eco.
Mech would be better with something like physics.
Reply 71
v1oXx-
shut up you prick.

jack off
Reply 72
just do the one you find more interesting. Personally i preferred stats. I did the A-level maths under the old system (curriculum 2000) so had 3 pure and 3 applied modules, so did P1, P2 and P3, S1, S2 and M1.

I sat the AS in the same year that almost a third failed it! Probably because a lot of people did badly at P2 then. Bearing in mind that the content of the three pure modules then is now spread into 4 pure modules.
Reply 73
thirdchill
just do the one you find more interesting. Personally i preferred stats. I did the A-level maths under the old system (curriculum 2000) so had 3 pure and 3 applied modules, so did P1, P2 and P3, S1, S2 and M1.

I sat the AS in the same year that almost a third failed it! Probably because a lot of people did badly at P2 then. Bearing in mind that the content of the three pure modules then is now spread into 4 pure modules.

Did it go on for 3 years of 1/3 getting Us? :eek:
Butting in here sorry,

But is M2 harder than M1 and S2 harder than S1 because surely it'd then be easier for the whole A level to just do the one's
lilangel890
Butting in here sorry,

But is M2 harder than M1 and S2 harder than S1 because surely it'd then be easier for the whole A level to just do the one's

for a maths a level, you need C1 - C4. you then have 2 modules that you can pick:smile:
Reply 76
lilangel890
Butting in here sorry,

I'd say S2 was easier than S1 if you're reasonably OK with pure maths. A lot of it involves differentiation and integration when you deal with continuous probability distributions. Then hypothesis tests are just a case of learning the method. S2 isn't quite as bad as S1 in terms of learning formulae and plugging numbers in. So I'd say it was different as opposed to harder.

As for M2, I don't think there was a huge jump in the difficulty. Just have to differentite/integrate velocities etc. when dealing with non-constant acceleration questions. The rest I'd say was of similar difficulty to M1 and is just a natural extension of it. When you do M1 you're getting used to a whole new topic and area of maths whereas you've done some pure and some stats at GCSE - so M1 can be a bit of a pain while youre getting used to it, but M2 just builds on the foundations that you covered in M1.

I don't necessarily think M1 and S1 is that much easier than doing two modules in the same area - I doubt it'd be allowed as a combination if that was the case . But at the same time, they're both AS modules - so you'd have an A-level that was 2/3 AS work and 1/3 A2 work, so you could argue it being easier in that way perhaps. It depends where your strengths and interests lie though. The higher numbered modules just assume slightly more familiarity with the core maths.
-G-a-v-
I'd say S2 was easier than S1 if you're reasonably OK with pure maths. A lot of it involves differentiation and integration when you deal with continuous probability distributions. Then hypothesis tests are just a case of learning the method. S2 isn't quite as bad as S1 in terms of learning formulae and plugging numbers in. So I'd say it was different as opposed to harder.

As for M2, I don't think there was a huge jump in the difficulty. Just have to differentite/integrate velocities etc. when dealing with non-constant acceleration questions. The rest I'd say was of similar difficulty to M1 and is just a natural extension of it. When you do M1 you're getting used to a whole new topic and area of maths whereas you've done some pure and some stats at GCSE - so M1 can be a bit of a pain while youre getting used to it, but M2 just builds on the foundations that you covered in M1.

I don't necessarily think M1 and S1 is that much easier than doing two modules in the same area - I doubt it'd be allowed as a combination if that was the case . But at the same time, they're both AS modules - so you'd have an A-level that was 2/3 AS work and 1/3 A2 work, so you could argue it being easier in that way perhaps. It depends where your strengths and interests lie though. The higher numbered modules just assume slightly more familiarity with the core maths.

Thanks a lot for your brill help, I must remember to give you rep tomorrow :biggrin:
Reply 79
edboon
jack off

Has anyone told you recently how badly you fail?

If you've nothing constructive to add, please just get off the thread. People shouldn't have to waste their time reading the tripe you come out with.

Latest