The Student Room Group

Maths: Statistics or Mechanics

Hey Guys,

Today I enrolled on my courses and I picked:
Maths (Stat), Chemistry, Bio and Economics

What I don't understand is that they asked me if i wanted to Stat or Mechanics...wtf:confused: ...can't I just do pure good old maths?:s-smilie:
I don't like Stat, also I don't like Mechanics.

Couldn't I just do some good old maths just like we did at GCSE?

In the college website it said that Mechanics and Stat is an additional thing..so am I right in thinking that we will do some pure maths and then do some Stat (or Mechanics for pps who picked that)

Please tell me I am not gona be doing 2 years of just Stat...that is gona be hell for me:mad:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yup over a two year full A level, from what I understand, you do 6 modules in total, 4 are core maths, 2 are stats/mechanics or a combination of the two :smile:

Don't worry, it'll be mostly the normal maths!! :p:
Reply 2
you basically do 6 modules at A2= normally something like C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2 for example. c1-c4 are all pure maths, and s1/s2 are obviously stats. thats it, you dont do any more than that- you might even do S1/D1, or S1/M1, whatever you do you choose.
personally i'd choose mechanics, as stats i found insanely boring and i sucked at it, but thats just me :smile:
Do Mechanics! It's so much more interesting than Stats :smile:
Reply 4
You've got the same A-Level subjects as me! :biggrin:

I'm doing stats, it's easier. Mechanics is hard!
Reply 5
Do Stats! I think you'll prefer it :smile:
Reply 6
My sis who did GCSE stat told me I'll just ace it in no time. Although, I looked at her paper and there were some complicated equations.
There was a sign that looked like 'E' which kept recurring, I got A* in Maths, and I got no knowledge of Stat, do you think I can cope?
Stats is really easy - S1 is pretty much GCSE stats (only a few new bits and bobs to learn)
Most of it is Core maths. Stats or mechanics is an SSM (student selected module) and constitutes only part of your course. You have to pick one, though you could ask your teachers if you can do further core maths, eg C5, C6.

I'd do mechanics, it's easy. But stats is useful for a lot of other stuff.
Do what YOU enjoy. Personally, I enjoyed doing Mechanics, and intend to do M2 if my college allows me...
If you like Physics do Mechanics, however if you prefer Statistics, then of course do Statistics!
My college does the same:
i)Maths & Stat.
ii)Maths & Mech.
iii)Pure Maths

C1 C2 C3 C4, and;
i) S1 S2
ii) M1 M2
iii) FP1 FP2
stats is easy, you get all the formulae in the exam for you:smile:
although learning the stuff is boring:frown:

mechanics is more like physics, with things on slopes and things knocking into each other
Reply 12
S1 assumes no knowledge of statistics at all! You learn mean, median, mode, range etc all over again! (Yes, despite learning them when you were 10).
Reply 13
New Username

What I don't understand is that they asked me if i wanted to Stat or Mechanics...wtf:confused: ...can't I just do pure good old maths?:s-smilie:
Couldn't I just do some good old maths just like we did at GCSE?

In the college website it said that Mechanics and Stat is an additional thing..so am I right in thinking that we will do some pure maths and then do some Stat (or Mechanics for pps who picked that)

Please tell me I am not gona be doing 2 years of just Stat...that is gona be hell for me:mad:

do some rescarch n00b
Reply 14
edboon
do some rescarch n00b

Define 'rescarch' for me please.
Reply 15
JayAyy
Define 'rescarch' for me please.

find your exam board and read the spec
it would have answered all his questions in 1 page
Reply 16
edboon
find your exam board and read the spec
it would have answered all his questions in 1 page

See, that's all you had to of said the first time. No need to insult him.
I did

C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, M1

:cool:

Stats: get a random number, plug it into one of 5 equations and hope that the long string of numbers that comes out is right
Mech: bit of trig, bit of vectors, bit of GCSE physics

I'd recommend mechanics, even though I despised it more than stats.
Reply 18
JayAyy
See, that's all you had to of said the first time. No need to insult him.

he was being a n00b
do you agree
Reply 19
edboon
he was being a n00b
do you agree

He was asking for advice, what's wrong with that?

Latest