The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Which uni -university of Manchester or York

Which university to choose as both are prestigious. Any views
I do Law at Manchester and I really enjoy it. There’s a really good sense of community on campus and the extracurriculars are not bad either. We’ve also been number one for graduate employability for the past couple of years, so I guess that gives you decent exposure to employers. Social life is also really good, but I guess that’s less important now with the pandemic.
University of York
York
Original post by Wondering123
Which university to choose as both are prestigious. Any views

Hi there,

Both York and Manchester are good options, so in the end it comes down to which university is right for you. You should try to consider which campus you prefer (if you haven't had a chance to visit us here's our online campus tour); which course offers the modules that you're most interested in; and where you think you'll be happiest. What course are you wanting to study?

You might find it helpful to have a look at our student blogs so that you can find out what studying at York is like from current students. It may also be useful to have a look at where you could be living, from the accommodation to the city itself. At York we have the best of both worlds with a campus university that's only a half an hour walk (or 15-minute bus ride) away from the city, but it's important that you consider whether a campus or a city university would suit you best.

I hope this helps you make your decision, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Steph :h:
Reply 3
York is the most beautiful ugly university ever created. A stunning lake, beautiful greenery in places, the gorgeous Heslington Hall, a swanky new Heslington East campus (and the older site now contains many modern buildings too) but too much of it feels like a science park for international students. CLASP architecture does not work well 'out in the sticks', a valley at the backend of a not even particularly attractive suburban part of York. Heslington itself is small but nice but York Uni more or less came from outer space where the prefabricated concrete (the dullest form of 60s architecture) and the spaceship like Central Hall contrasting unharmoniously with beautiful Heslington itself combine to feel like inspiration for Radiohead's OK Computer. A case against God, this university will never be fully loved by the natives except in a weird crush kind of way.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Picnic1
York is the most beautiful ugly university ever created. A stunning lake, beautiful greenery in places, the gorgeous Heslington Hall, a swanky new Heslington East campus (and the older site now contains many modern buildings too) but too much of it feels like a science park for international students. CLASP architecture does not work well 'out in the sticks'...

A wonderful evocation!

All the 'Plateglass' universities created from scratch in the 1960s look a bit like science parks, but at least York benefits from having the older buildings in the mix (let's not forget the King's Manor in the city centre) and in the way it envelopes the village of Heslington; its hall, its church and its main streets, where many of the older properties are now occupied by the university.

And the collegiate system, which might have seemed a little pretentious in the early days, really does help give many students a sense of belonging and enables them to make friends more easily.

So if those 'sixties universities now seem to be bland, or even ugly, ' concrete jungles' then yes, you could reasonably argue that York is indeed 'the most beautiful ugly university ever created.'

Quick Reply

Latest