The Student Room Group

2 History remarks stayed the exact same mark...`

I finally got my remarks back from Edexcel after a heap of lies from them, but my marks stayed the same. I accept it but there is something in the back of my mind that thinks in a subject like History, to have 3 questions remarked overall and score EXACTLY the same struck me as a bit odd.

What do you guys think?
That is a bit odd...unless the same person did the remark? Though that wouldn't happen. Hmm...
That's like my history results where I got exactly the same % for 2 modules and only 1% more for the other. Just thought I'd add that (:
Reply 2
The same thing happened with my history GCSE. It's not that rare, I don't think they like to award extra marks unless its really obvious. Or maybe you gained marks in one question and lost marks in another, so it balances out? Doesn't stop it being annoying though, Im sure you deserve at least a couple of marks extra.
Reply 3
Thanks for the quick replies. I did 2 questions in one paper and one essay question in another, 3 questions total and scored exactly the same. Even if it had changed either way up or down I would accept it fully but to stay the same over two papers, by two different examiners is weird.

My History teachers in my school marked my papers, they all thought I was harshly done by yet they all awarded different marks!
I think you should resign yourself to the fact you failed.
Reply 5
lol superman I can accept it and I wouldnt class it as a failure to achieve AAC at A Level. I was just a bit bemused at the fact it stayed exactly the same.
Reply 6
Jesus.

I think you should accept you didn't do as you hoped to do. Sounds like the first examiner did a good job of marking it. They will have all followed the criteria and your essay matched the criteria for X marks.

Retake it if you want to change your mark.
Reply 7
I have accepted that I didnt do as I hoped, my reasoning for posting here was that 3 questions had the exact same marks from 2 different examiners, not 1 up or down either way. That strikes me as a bit odd in a subjective subject like History. Ive got a gap year anyway, im not bleating on about how I was robbed of my predicted grade, just the fact they all stayed the same.
Reply 8
shock horror....and exam paper was marked consistently and fairly...this surely can't happen :rolleyes:
Also, with A2 papers i think they get marked twice before results day because of the obvious impact these results can have on your university entry etc...so effectively, you paper has probably been re-marked twice...and you stay at the same mark...i think you need to accept you messed up the papers...history markers penalize heavily if you don't completely answer the question...hence the seemingly anomalous result...but it's no doubt right.
Reply 9
Well you can call it consistent marking, which follows along the lines of strange marking. 12/20, 25/40,32/60, exact same scores. Meh, I may not agree with it but I can accept it.
Reply 10
lol i know loads of intelligent people who ballsed up edexcel history...out of interest, was it the source paper? i know loads of people who got a D in one of their history modules and was remarked and stay the same...they're intelligent, but they just didn't employ the correct exam technique for that specific paper...maybe that was your downfall.
I think it's funny that people think they're paying for a higher grade, and not a fair, reassessment of their paper.
When's the deadline for remarks?
Reply 13
Same here! I had two history edexcel papers remarked and neither changed. Got AAC (C in hist) as well haha. I also know quite a few people who were predicted As for history and ended up with Cs/Es/fails. But yeah, it is a bit odd that the remarks didn't change by even one mark up or down.. as it is pretty subjective. Hmm I reckon I prolly f'd up the source paper by not using the right technique.. but the other paper really was a lot more subjective.

necessarily benevolent
When's the deadline for remarks?

Pretty sure it's august 31
Its strange with History, you have to accept that alot of the marks (and I mean probably over half here) have absolutely no knowledge of the topic being covered. Some may be History teachers, but others are often humanities teachers.
When this happens, the papers are alot less subjective as a marker with less knowledge is more likely to stick rigidly to the mark scheme and this can lead to very basic scores which don't do justice.

I'm quite suprised neither changed, but whats done is done and there is nothing you can do to change their minds now anyway. At least you didnt drop marks!
Happened to me! I got 2Bs and 1D in AS edexcel history. Obviously got the D remarked as I was predicted a B overall which brought my overall AS grade to a C which sucks! My remark did not change, however I am going to get my history teacher to check it when I get back to school and if they disagree with the marks I can appeal!
Its reasssuring to read this because the same happened to me!
I was predicted an A in AS history... I got a C... one mark from a B. Hopefully it will be remarked, but i am doubtful i will recieve more marks, and I have resigned myself to the fact that I am retaking next year....

I have also heard of people recieving low grades who more that deserved higher grades. In the modules I recieved ACC.... including a C in the source paper which tbh I had practiced and knew the techniques well. Obviously not well enough...:s-smilie: bt there u go...

Im also suprised about the original remarking problem... it is strange that not one of the examiners who remarked the paper thought it deserved even one extra mark... examiners just agreeing with each other? because history is very subjective...
I didn't know that a remark meant one's grade MUST change... tbh I would have expected your grades to go down the way Edexcel is, so be happy it didn't.

Also bear in mind that Edexcel history papers are marked more the once, apparently 3- 4 times.....
Reply 18
It seems Edexcel History is pretty harshly marked - I've seen a fair amount of horror stories on these forums about people doing well in everything except Edexcel History.

Latest