The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's overhyped. As is the difficulty of doing five A-levels. I don't understand why everyone thinks four is manageable but five is DEATH. You'll be fine as long as you're moderately intelligent and work as hard as you need to.
Reply 2
Lol I don't think it's that overhyped, although it may be to some degree. It really depends on the person. You know thing is, it doesn't really depend on your GCSE's, although at the majority of colleges if not all, you'll need an A/A* to do further maths. Anyway it's probably the most difficult a level there is. If you love maths, and are willing to put in effort, then you might as well take it.
Reply 3
I'll be doing further maths too!

And five subjects at AS but one of those is Critical Thinking, so I guess that doesn't count :p:
Reply 4
hmmm, well i'm doing pretty heavy subjects with it aswel
Economics
Physics
Computing
Should i be scared, i dnt wanna stretch myself so my grades go down, but if i do these subjects i can pretty much do w.e i want to do which is amazing :smile:
There is a step up in terms of the kinds of problems that are set on Further Pure exams compared to Core exams - you need a bit of ingenuity sometimes (Reduction formulae comes to mind - I've seen a question where you had to use the fact that 2-2 = 0 once!)

I was 5 off an A* at GCSE Maths so you certainly should go for it - if you're really good at Maths then it shouldn't be terribly hard.As for doing 5 A2s I wouldn't recommend it except if you really like your subjects.So long as you're doing at least four then there's no real problems I'd say.
Reply 6
i guess i can just try the 5 a levels and drop one after a few weeks if its just not wht i like, coz i do like my parties man x
Reply 7
Further Maths is nowhere near as hard as people make it out to be. I'm no mathematical genius and I still walked out with an A. If you apply yourself and work hard you'll do fine
I thought it would be hard and I was right. It was bloody hell! Really just the Further Pure modules, all the others are alright. But man, I really just gave up in the end. I took it as a fourth A2 and couldn't focus on it properly (there were other non-academic issues too which distracted me) which made everything worse.

It is hard, definitely the hardest of all my subjects, and much much harder than Maths A-level (which was a doddle tbh). Looking back, I really wish I had spent more time on it, because it was just the FP2 and FP3 grades which completely failed me.

If you're willing to work for it, then yes take it.
Reply 9
i'm guna just do maths, i dnt think furthermaths reli adds that much more, sure it looks impressive but it's guna add SO much more hastle to my timetable where i cud still get good results without it.
thanks anyway my lovelies
it's not as hard as people make out, but it's definitely hard. i reckon it's probably quicker to learn than normal maths(i crammed it in in three months without a teacher/lesson and just missed a B? and i oly got A at gcse...) if you put your mind to ittt
monster9999
is furthermaths as hard as everyone says it is.
i got 8 marks off an A* at GCSE in maths
so i'm guessing i could cut it just about.
Do the people that take it have to dig in deep to do well or is it overhyped??
And also is it reli worth doing 5 A levels!?

dude i was 1 mark OFF i am defo getting a remark:yep:
Reply 12
I know a lot of people who do further maths and its fine as long as you keep up with the workload, because you're most likely to take 3modules in january, and 3 in may/june. If you're quite intelligent and pretty good at maths, the january modules shouldnt be a problem as long as you work enough. C3, C4 and M1 are usually the modules which people find more difficult so more work is needed.

Just work hard and you'll be fine =)
monster9999
is furthermaths as hard as everyone says it is.
i got 8 marks off an A* at GCSE in maths
so i'm guessing i could cut it just about.
Do the people that take it have to dig in deep to do well or is it overhyped??
And also is it reli worth doing 5 A levels!?

Depends how much effort you put into that maths A at gcse. If you put in a tonne then I wouldn't do the further maths A level (unless you really think you can put yet more in). If you got the A from not trying too hard then i'd give it a go.
lemonx
I know a lot of people who do further maths and its fine as long as you keep up with the workload, because you're most likely to take 3modules in january, and 3 in may/june. If you're quite intelligent and pretty good at maths, the january modules shouldnt be a problem as long as you work enough. C3, C4 and M1 are usually the modules which people find more difficult so more work is needed.

Just work hard and you'll be fine =)

lol - everyone says this yet they are the modules I got my A on. I had B's in the others!
generalebriety
It's overhyped. As is the difficulty of doing five A-levels. I don't understand why everyone thinks four is manageable but five is DEATH. You'll be fine as long as you're moderately intelligent and work as hard as you need to.

Thank you for saying that!

On three seperate occassions, people from the college I'm going to start at in September have warned me against taking 5 subjects in a condescending way.

Personally, I can't wait to do further maths, but I think we do that in year 13. :frown:
Faiza.
Lol I don't think it's that overhyped, although it may be to some degree. It really depends on the person. You know thing is, it doesn't really depend on your GCSE's, although at the majority of colleges if not all, you'll need an A/A* to do further maths. Anyway it's probably the most difficult a level there is. If you love maths, and are willing to put in effort, then you might as well take it.

My brother did it with a C at GSCE and ended up getting an A (so far, AS)
Reply 17
Are we talking about 5 A2 or 5 AS?
Reply 18
Further Maths A2 is hard. The AS is relatively easy, FP1 (the pure module you do at further maths AS level) is not bad at all, but FP2 and FP3 are quite tough going.
Reply 19
I think it depends what you want to do afterwards as well, obviously if you wanted to do something like Maths or Physics at Oxbridge afterwards then it would be a benefit, or if you enjoy maths that much, but otherwise if you feel that it will bring your other results down then I wouldn't take on too much.

Latest