The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Rejected by King's College London

My application has been rejected by King's College London and the reason given was:
"Unfortunately, your qualifications do not meet a subject requirement which is necessary for entry to this programme therefore we are unable to consider your application any further"

My qualifications do meet their subject requirement though.. Their website says a 2:1 honours degree with physics as the main field of study and I do have a 2:1. It doesn't look like there are any other qualifications that I am missing.

Should I contact them or is it standard to have a generic reason for rejection?
Original post by throwaway2021
My application has been rejected by King's College London and the reason given was:
"Unfortunately, your qualifications do not meet a subject requirement which is necessary for entry to this programme therefore we are unable to consider your application any further"

My qualifications do meet their subject requirement though.. Their website says a 2:1 honours degree with physics as the main field of study and I do have a 2:1. It doesn't look like there are any other qualifications that I am missing.

I don't know anything about getting into uni but its worth contacting them politely and explain, you've got nothing to lose, they might like to see you are motivated to get in?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Contact them. If they've messed up on their end, it's not your fault - maybe you were meant to get onto the course. The worst answer you can get is the one you've already received.

The reasons sound like a copy & paste.
You can email back asking for more feedback and stating why you feel the initial feedback is not reflective of your application.
They'll be unlikely to re-consider unless it was an accident, but there's no harm in emailing.
Original post by mnot
The reasons sound like a copy & paste.
You can email back asking for more feedback and stating why you feel the initial feedback is not reflective of your application.
They'll be unlikely to re-consider unless it was an accident, but there's no harm in emailing.

If I call the admissions team, do you think they will be able to help? Or should I stick to email?
If I call the admissions team, do you think they will be able to help? Or should I stick to email?

You can call.
I think if you call you might just end up on the phone to someone who deals with admissions for the whole university when there's a good chance this decision was made at the departmental level.
But it doesnt make a great deal of difference either should be fine initially.
Original post by mnot
You can call.
I think if you call you might just end up on the phone to someone who deals with admissions for the whole university when there's a good chance this decision was made at the departmental level.
But it doesnt make a great deal of difference either should be fine initially.

King's College London also has an appeal procedure, should I look into making an appeal?
King's College London also has an appeal procedure, should I look into making an appeal?

Yes go ahead
Definitely call them and tell them, that doesn't make any sense.
Their guidance said "2:1 with physics as the main field of study". You said you just had a 2:1 - what is your degree subject?

I would ask for more feedback first, see what they say, if you’re still dissatisfied appeal.
Original post by artful_lounger
Their guidance said "2:1 with physics as the main field of study". You said you just had a 2:1 - what is your degree subject?

Physics...

Sorry, I thought it was obvious.
Physics...

Sorry, I thought it was obvious.

In that case I would suggest contacting them to enquire about the rejection.

Also one learns to never assume anything on this website...I would not have been surprised if you had said your degree was in engineering or something, people make all kinds of leaps of logic on here :tongue:

Also one learns to never assume anything on this website...I would not have been surprised if you had said your degree was in engineering or something, people make all kinds of leaps of logic on here :tongue:

Of course, it was good you pointed this out as I was about to ask the same.

There is another user who posted something very similar, and people suggested that maybe they were required to achieve 60% in every module. I have looked all over the online prospectus and the department's webpages and couldn't find any such requirement. I have sent an email to the admissions team but I think my odds are low. Right?

Maybe it is time to get a job.
Reply 15
There is another user who posted something very similar, and people suggested that maybe they were required to achieve 60% in every module. I have looked all over the online prospectus and the department's webpages and couldn't find any such requirement. I have sent an email to the admissions team but I think my odds are low. Right?

Maybe it is time to get a job.

Presumably, it wasn't this one https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught-courses/physics-msc where the 60% is quite clear?
I do wonder if the dept uses this for all masters but only says it on this core outline.
Original post by 2500_2
Presumably, it wasn't this one https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught-courses/physics-msc where the 60% is quite clear?
I do wonder if the dept uses this for all masters but only says it on this core outline.

Nope, not that one. :smile:

But what does an average of 60% in the UK marking scheme mean? Aren't all 2:1s above 60%?
(edited 3 years ago)
I can't call the admissions team or the department because of coronavirus.
They responded saying the modules that I have covered do not prepare me for the course. Idk.
King's hello

Quick Reply

Latest