The Student Room Group

Cambridge or Imperial for Engineering

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ILIGAN
Master, I didn't mean to offend anyone when I responded to the OP's question, but I have to give an honest-to-goodness answer. Of course, you would root for Imperial; even defend it to death, as you're British. But have you gone to study in that US? If you have, you would clearly see that the UK schools have really left behind in terms of academic quality, scholarly research and quality research output. Maybe that's due in part to having better funding that the American schools can attract the best faculty and students from around the world.

If you're an Indian geek hoping to study postgrad in abroad, for example, and has offers from both Princeton and Imperial, would you really take Imperial over Princeton? I honestly doubt if you would.

Imperial is a great school/uni. But compared to the best ones in the US, it's a no-match to them. In the UK, only Cambridge and Oxford have the prestige and resources to compete with the best schools in the US, on all levels -- undergrad, grad and postgrad. Imperial is a no-name institution in the US. It can hardly attract talented students to go there, unlike Oxford and Cambridge that can due to their powerful names in global academia.

Again, in terms of academic prestige and global recognition: Cambridge >>> Imperial. It's not even close.

Opinionated crap.
Reply 21
alexyfoot
Opinionated crap.

Well, a person who does not have an opinion is dumb!
Reply 22
Again, Cambridge is more prestigious than Imperial is in engineering and as a whole. And I did not invent this. Almost all league tables would support this statement of mind.
ILIGAN
Master, I didn't mean to offend anyone when I responded to the OP's question, but I have to give an honest-to-goodness answer. Of course, you would root for Imperial; even defend it to death, as you're British. But have you gone to study in that US? If you have, you would clearly see that the UK schools have really left behind in terms of academic quality, scholarly research and quality research output. Maybe that's due in part to having better funding that the American schools can attract the best faculty and students from around the world.

If you're an Indian geek hoping to study postgrad in abroad, for example, and has offers from both Princeton and Imperial, would you really take Imperial over Princeton? I honestly doubt if you would.

Imperial is a great school/uni. But compared to the best ones in the US, it's a no-match to them. In the UK, only Cambridge and Oxford have the prestige and resources to compete with the best schools in the US, on all levels -- undergrad, grad and postgrad. Imperial is a no-name institution in the US. It can hardly attract talented students to go there, unlike Oxford and Cambridge that can due to their powerful names in global academia.

Again, in terms of academic prestige and global recognition: Cambridge >>> Imperial. It's not even close.

But this is not about Imperial at all! You go around commenting on the prestige of a university and you have no experience of the university yourself whatsoever, you said so yourself you got rejected from Oxford yet you still claim that 'Oxbridge' is better than 'University-X'. Please just don't comment since you have no authority to comment upon something which you have got no experience of.

Yes I am student of Imperial and I most certainly know its flaws. I am going to study aeronautical engineering and I know that the only comparable engineering education you can get in the UK is the one in Cambridge. I know that the only one which is comparable in America is MIT, why? Because our department have set up an exchange programme with them and asked why we cannot go elsewhere because only MIT was comparable in scope and difficulty.

You however just go around and spout random statements here and there and you always get pounded by the postgrads on TSR, the ones the arguably know the most about HE, yet you never back down even though it is so blatantly obvious that you are wrong.
ILIGAN

And do you think anything beyond HYPSM holds any clout in the UK? Think again.

ILIGAN

You are really taking the piss now..

See my previous posts, I don't give a damn about whether you think Cambridge > Imperial or the other way around. You are the most opinionated/biased non-scholarly based user on this forum. You are not an engineering so why are you commenting here?

(I am assuming you are not an engineer since the stuff you come up with is just beyond me.)

You even went around a while back posting stuff about which university was best for maths and when I gave you the link to that a point-by-point paper researching which institution is best you STILL continued to post your crap.
ILIGAN

Go and post that in the politics forum see if they agree with you... ffs.
Reply 26
ILIGAN

Well, a person who does not have an argumented opinion is dumb!

I am sorry to say that but none of your posts is argued: no facts, no numbers to back what you claim.

Do you have any other criterion that your own subjective “academic prestige and global recognition” (I don’t even know what it means actually)?

For instance, on which basis can you claim that Harvey Mudd or Purdue are better than Imperial in engineering as you wrote here.

ILIGAN
there are a lot of schools in the United States that are better than Imperial for engineering -- MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, Caltech, CMU, Cornell, Georgia Tech, UMich, UIUC, UT-Austin, UCLA, USC, Harvey Mudd, Purdue and Princeton to name a few.
Reply 27
Master Polhem
But this is not about Imperial at all! You go around commenting on the prestige of a university and you have no experience of the university yourself whatsoever, you said so yourself you got rejected from Oxford yet you still claim that 'Oxbridge' is better than 'University-X'. Please just don't comment since you have no authority to comment upon something which you have got no experience of.

Excuse me; I'm still applying to Oxford. No results have been released yet.

Yes I am student of Imperial and I most certainly know its flaws.

I've been to Imperial and have toured the campus, twice. I've also talked to some of the faculty. They've been very impressed with my Stanford undergrad degree; I wasn’t impressed with the school. Have you been to those US schools that I've mentioned in my previous posts? I'm pretty sure your Imperial undergrad degree would not be taken there very seriously. Why? Because it's not considered a prestigious school; not because it's academic standard is lousy. Remember that I was commenting about the academic prestige, not the academic quality per se, because I cannot judge or assess any school's academic quality when I haven't gone there.

I am going to study aeronautical engineering and I know that the only comparable engineering education you can get in the UK is the one in Cambridge. I know that the only one which is comparable in America is MIT, why? Because our department have set up an exchange programme with them and asked why we cannot go elsewhere because only MIT was comparable in scope and difficulty.

Let me be frank with you. The top 10 schools for engineering in the US are better than Imperial. Again, Imperial is only popular and well respected in the UK and in some parts of Europe. But it is a no name school in the US and in many parts of the world. It's quite obvious that you're so obsessed with Imperial that you cannot think objectively.

You however just go around and spout random statements here and there and you always get pounded by the postgrads on TSR, the ones the arguably know the most about HE, yet you never back down even though it is so blatantly obvious that you are wrong.

That's your opinion. The poster in that thread was arguing with me that York is better than Oxford. I was shocked how dim-witted her statement was, to be honest with you. But I had to stop posting back as it was a waste of time arguing with her. Of course, she will defend York as it is her uni. If that's what makes her sleep at night... But if I have to agree with both of you -- then let's all stop aiming for Oxford and Cambridge and let's all strive harder to get into Imperial and York.

Now, I hope you can sleep at night too.:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Reply 28
Master Polhem
And do you think anything beyond HYPSM holds any clout in the UK? Think again.

Yes. Caltech, Berkeley, Cornell, CMU, GeorgiaTech to name a few are not HYPSM but are well respected in the UK.

However, it's not right to say that, because a certain institution is not popular and respected in the UK then it is not respected and popular aound the world. What is the UK compared to North America? Don't mean to insult there, but, come on, let's be realistic.

See my previous posts, I don't give a damn about whether you think Cambridge > Imperial or the other way around.

Does Cambridge has to be bothered because a certain guy does not think it's better than Imperial? :laughing:
Cambridge couldn't care less what you think! Cambridge is Cambridge. Imperial is just an up and coming school in the global academic arena. Stop kidding yourself. Cambridge >>> Imperial, period. It doesn't matter what you think. It doesn't matter which school you are supporting. What matters is what the world think is better between Cambridge and Imperial. That's what matters in this discussion. Pls read the thread's title/question because, like the woman in the postgrad thread, you're swaying away from it.

You are the most opinionated/biased non-scholarly based user on this forum. You are not an engineering so why are you commenting here?

And you the most ridiculous guy on the planet. Just because I don't major engineering I cannot comment about school reputation??? :zomg:

You even went around a while back posting stuff about which university was best for maths and when I gave you the link to that a point-by-point paper researching which institution is best you STILL continued to post your crap.

Looking back at what happened then, I provided the UK schools that are respected for maths outside of the UK. You provided the link to a survey which tells which school are tops for Maths in the UK. Again, it was clear that I was talking about reputation OUTSIDE of the UK -- or how the rest of the world views UK schools. Of course, I'm not the authority and so are you.
ILIGAN

You applied for undergrad and got rejected says something about the application procedure of both does it not.

ILIGAN

I've been to Imperial and have toured the campus, twice. I've also talked to some of the faculty. They've been very impressed with my Stanford undergrad degree; I wasn’t impressed with the school. Have you been to those US schools that I've mentioned in my previous posts? I'm pretty sure your Imperial undergrad degree would not be taken there very seriously. Why? Because it's not considered a prestigious school; not because it's academic standard is lousy. Remember that I was commenting about the academic prestige, not the academic quality per se, because I cannot judge or assess any school's academic quality when I haven't gone there.

I have seen pictures of American campuses and they were impressed by my [email protected] email address, anymore anecdotal evidence that bears little relevance to the debate or shall we continue?

But you know nothing of academic prestige and again if we are to go on anecdotal evidence I have only met a few stanford students in my life and I was not particularly impressed with them to be quite honest, so I would not take them very seriously. I was very impressed by a guy from Caltech though he was extremely caltech-y to put it bluntly. How do we judge academic prestige, well obviously history ranks quite high and there Oxbridge certainly has the edge but if you look at scholarships awarded and SET awards then there is little differentiation to be made.

Again I am not challenging that Imperial may be a bad engineering school, I thought it was quite nice but that's just me, I am challenging your approach to university HE of being an omniscient education guardian with nothing whatsoever to back it up.

"It is more prestigious for engineering" But why is it bloody more prestigious? That certainly is not true for Oxford I cannot comment on Cambridge because that is such a close call it is not for me to decide.

ILIGAN

Let me be frank with you. The top 10 schools for engineering in the US are better than Imperial. Again, Imperial is only popular and well respected in the UK and in some parts of Europe. But it is a no name school in the US and in many parts of the world. It's quite obvious that you're so obsessed with Imperial that you cannot think objectively.

If that makes you sleep at night then so be it do not for one minute think that you have convinced any person on TSR with an ounce of common sense.

Have I not already stated that I know Imperials flaws and this is not a debate about defending Imperial. I applied there for a reason not relevant here. It is you who time upon time puts Oxbridge before anything and everything in the UK and US schools before anything in the UK.

People are sick and tired of ad-hoc posting with no evidence to back up claims. They really are and I am sick of having to retort to your posts and so are the even more knowledgeable postgrads.

ILIGAN

That's your opinion. The poster in that thread was arguing with me that York is better than Oxford. I was shocked how dim-witted her statement was, to be honest with you. But I had to stop posting back as it was a waste of time arguing with her. Of course, she will defend York as it is her uni. If that's what makes her sleep at night... But if I have to agree with both of you -- then let's all stop aiming for Oxford and Cambridge and let's all strive harder to get into Imperial and York.

And that was true since this was for POSTGRADUATE your prestigious crap bares even less relevance here! She did her masters at Oxford for heavens sake. I am even going to quote what you said (and don't dare for one minute to take this debate of course, it remains an issue about you knowing nothing about UK HE but are not following the normal passive-bystander approach which a normal non-knowledgeable human being would take, but is actively participating much to every ones despair.)

The OP asked:
Is Oxbridge actually the best in UK for postgrad, I have heard otherwise?

If so, would one ever go to a UK uni for PhD with offers from HYP and if so, then why?

Whereupon you said:

ILIGAN

Between Harvard/Stanford/MIT/Berkeley vs Oxford/Cambridge, the US schools would win.

Between Princeton/Yale vs Oxbridge, I would prefer Oxbridge.

Then the_alba said replied very sensibly:

the_alba

You do realize that we're talking about PhDs here, and so these prestige-obsessed-inter-university-bitch-fights are even less relevant than usual?

OP, I left Oxford after my Master's to go to York for my PhD, because it had a lot more brilliant / famous / respected academics in my field, whereas Oxford had only one and she was part time and not particularly knowledgeable about my area of research. Also because I thought York would do a bit more for me, as a research student working in 19th and 20th century literature, than Oxford, as many of my friends doing DPhils at Oxford were experiencing something like neglect. And because I knew that who you have as your supervisor is very much more important than where you fo your PhD - for the purpose of getting an academic job, a reference from my current supervisor is like gold dust for people in my field, and would be worth a lot more than some Oxford professor who just happened to supervise despite having contributed little in the way of scholarship on the subject himself.

And then the whole postgrad forums tries to make you understand that 'prestige' and 'postgrad' are mutually exclusive. Something which they failed so miserably to do I am sorry to say.

(Ohh and I have actually worked in the engineering industry so I do know what I am talking about.)

ILIGAN

Now, I hope you can sleep at night too.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yes clearly the make-believe-novice thinks he has managed to forcefully impose his rhetoric on the apathetic masses, little does he know that they cannot be force fed nonsense.
ILIGAN
Yes. Caltech, Berkeley, Cornell, CMU, GeorgiaTech to name a few are not HYPSM but are well respected in the UK.

However, it's not right to say that, because a certain institution is not popular and respected in the UK then it is not respected and popular aound the world. What is the UK compared to North America? Don't mean to insult there, but, come on, let's be realistic.

No not really but again I can only voice what I believe and know and you can from an American perspective take it or leave it.

What is the UK to America well generally we are doing quite well it is the R&D centre for Europe and we seem to be getting on rather well. We came fourth in the Olympics and we have 5 times less people than you so yeah things are chilling OK over here. But to more be more serious, the US has a lot more money that you can never get away from but the UK is doing pretty well for its size and fiscal situation.

You want to make this into UK bashing debate as well?

ILIGAN

Does Cambridge has to be bothered because a certain guy does not think it's better than Imperial? :laughing:
Cambridge couldn't care less what you think! Cambridge is Cambridge. Imperial is just an up and coming school in the global academic arena. Stop kidding yourself. Cambridge >>> Imperial, period. It doesn't matter what you think. It doesn't matter which school you are supporting. What matters is what the world think is better between Cambridge and Imperial. That's what matters in this discussion. Pls read the thread's title/question because, like the woman in the postgrad thread, you're swaying away from it.

Yes and I am quite happy that the world thinks so it is probably even correct in some aspects but you are banging on about prestige yet you know nothing of it, it becomes even more embarrassing when you start talking about postgrad and prestige.

Prestige is a measure for people who feel that they need to prove themselves, nothing wrong with that really but it makes more sense if you are proving yourself against the right people and not the hoi-polloi.

4 dictionary results for: prestige
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
pres·tige /prɛˈstiʒ, -ˈstidʒ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pre-steezh, -steej] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes.

I now invite you to go around and post in thread but do so with care and evidence for now you cannot blame that you did not know what prestige meant.

As for the thread header... you have so far concluded that Cambridge has more prestige yet failed to conclude which is better for engineering. A factor I already stated depended upon the OP. So my good sir it is not I who is swaying away from the thread you are having a hard time even finding the thread.

ILIGAN

And you the most ridiculous guy on the planet. Just because I don't major engineering I cannot comment about school reputation???

AND computer science, maths, physics, biology and chemistry say which area of science are you content in?

How can you possible have anything sensible to add to the debate of engineering success when you are not even an engineering. I post in the mathematical forums because I have studied mathematics and university, I furthermore post in the forums where what I say (albeit not always very politely) can have a profound or at least some impact on the debate. You just go around posting your prestige lists everywhere! Here is another example from: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=14465463&highlight=ILIGAN#post14465463

ILIGAN

What about doing it this way?

Tier 1

Oxford
Cambridge

Tier 2A
LSE
Durham
Warwick
Bristol
UCL

Group 2B
Nottingham
Manchester
King's

Tier 3

Birmingham
Sheffield
Leeds

Tier 4

Hull
Newcastle
SOAS
Sussex
Cardiff
Essex
QM
UEA
Southampton
Leicester
Liverpool

THIS IS FROM THE LAW FORUM!

ILIGAN

Looking back at what happened then, I provided the UK schools that are respected for maths outside of the UK. You provided the link to a survey which tells which school are tops for Maths in the UK. Again, it was clear that I was talking about reputation OUTSIDE of the UK -- or how the rest of the world views UK schools. Of course, I'm not the authority and so are you.

*sigh*... apart from the fact that you just changed you whole thesis, I shall disregard this and ask you: How was that obvious? How is that ever obvious when you never point it out (see my examples above).
Reply 31
Master Polhem,

BLAH BLAH BLAH ...

Okay, let's all stop aiming for Oxbridge and let's all aim for Imperial because according to Master Polhem, Imperial is more prestigious than both Oxford and Cambridge are. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Now, you can sleep well at night Master Polhem. Sweet dreams! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Reply 32
ILIGAN

Ha, that's certainly not what you said at the time. We beat you down, and you actually conceded that I might be right. You were also making cringeworthy attempts to be polite whilst effectively spamming a serious thread with bilge.

I wasn't even arguing that York was better than Oxford anyway; I was arguing that for my PhD, York outclasses Oxford significantly, because the people supervising me there have world-class reputations which is ultra-important at postgrad level and matters far more than undergrad-focused generic brand names ever could - which is why I left Oxford to go there. Why would I defend York 'just because it's my uni' when I'm also an alumnus of Oxford and have connections there too?

You admitted frequently on that thread that you 'weren't reading the posts' before replying with your irrelevant nonsense, which explains why you have such a confused idea of what actually happened in that thread. The only thing you cited which you thought seemed to 'prove' that Oxford was 'better' for PhD students than York was that 'the general public have heard of Oxford' - LMFAO, as if that makes the slightest bit of difference when I'm interviewing for a job at a US university, clutching the reference from my supervisor, which any student in the US or UK would be envious of because his name is gold both in the States and here. Ha.
ILIGAN
Master Polhem,

BLAH BLAH BLAH ...

Okay, let's all stop aiming for Oxbridge and let's all aim for Imperial because according to Master Polhem, Imperial is more prestigious than both Oxford and Cambridge are. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Now, you can sleep well at night Master Polhem. Sweet dreams! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A fine response by the defeated. I think you convinced just about everyone know just how far you knowledge of engineering and science in general stretches when you respond like this.

Not withstanding the fact that you completely failed to extract what the discussion was about; not Imperial vs. Oxbridge it was TSR: Master Polhem vs. ILIGAN and his consistently bad conduct in posting on issues he has little or no knowledge of.

Be gone I say be gone, at least from the forums where you do not belong.
Reply 34
Master Polhem

And that was true since this was for POSTGRADUATE your prestigious crap bares even less relevance here! She did her masters at Oxford for heavens sake. I am even going to quote what you said (and don't dare for one minute to take this debate of course, it remains an issue about you knowing nothing about UK HE but are not following the normal passive-bystander approach which a normal non-knowledgeable human being would take, but is actively participating much to every ones despair.)

Thanks for this MP. You're fighting a good fight but I think it's ultimately useless with someone like him, I suppose.

I'll say this much: it seems to me that the most ignorant, prestige-obsessed nonsense-spinners on TSR are also always the most trollish in their behaviour, with poor writing skills and no idea how to debate successfully or intelligently. It strikes me that none of them would actually be bright enough to go to the universities they so vehemently defend, and that they must have some kind of chip on their shoulder / insecurity about where they actually have ended up, which pushes them into this fantasy of going to an elite university which they then play out on the internet. I see this all the time on TSR. I'd feel sorry for them if they weren't so bloody belligerent and rude. It happens when an ego grows too large for its circumstances and the Id starts trying to frantically compensate by driving itself into a fantasy world to try to block out feelings of inferiority caused by caring a little bit too much about where they 'rank' in the universal scheme of things.
the_alba
Thanks for this MP. You're fighting a good fight but I think it's ultimately useless with someone like him, I suppose.

I'll say this much: it seems to me that the most ignorant, prestige-obsessed nonsense-spinners on TSR are also always the most trollish in their behaviour, with poor writing skills and no idea how to debate successfully or intelligently. It strikes me that none of them would actually be bright enough to go to the universities they so vehemently defend, and that they must have some kind of chip on their shoulder / insecurity about where they actually have ended up, which pushes them into this fantasy of going to an elite university which they then play out on the internet. I see this all the time on TSR. I'd feel sorry for them if they weren't so bloody belligerent and rude. It happens when an ego grows too large for its circumstances and the Id starts trying to frantically compensate by driving itself into a fantasy world to try to block out feelings of inferiority caused by caring a little bit too much about where they 'rank' in the universal scheme of things.

Can I take this opportunity to apologise to you and the whole postgrad. community for my seemingly unfounded bashing of Oxford Brookes a while back. Not something I am proud of and it is slightly relevant since it was rather unfounded and moronic.
Reply 36
ILIGAN

The same blabla on your personal experience.
This kind of anecdote does not prove anything.
Anyone can say "I have been to uni X, I have not been impressed but people there were amazed by my undergrad uni."

Btw, any statistics, facts to prove that "CMU, Cornell, Georgia Tech, UMich, UIUC, UT-Austin, UCLA, USC, Harvey Mudd, Purdue and Princeton " are better than Imperial in engineering?
Reply 37
the_alba
Ha, that's certainly not what you said at the time. We beat you down, and you actually conceded that I might be right. You were also making cringeworthy attempts to be polite whilst effectively spamming a serious thread with bilge.

I wasn't even arguing that York was better than Oxford anyway; I was arguing that for my PhD, York outclasses Oxford significantly, because the people supervising me there have world-class reputations which is ultra-important at postgrad level and matters far more than undergrad-focused generic brand names ever could - which is why I left Oxford to go there. Why would I defend York 'just because it's my uni' when I'm also an alumnus of Oxford and have connections there too?

You admitted frequently on that thread that you 'weren't reading the posts' before replying with your irrelevant nonsense, which explains why you have such a confused idea of what actually happened in that thread. The only thing you cited which you thought seemed to 'prove' that Oxford was 'better' for PhD students than York was that 'the general public have heard of Oxford' - LMFAO, as if that makes the slightest bit of difference when I'm interviewing for a job at a US university, clutching the reference from my supervisor, which any student in the US or UK would be envious of because his name is gold both in the States and here. Ha.

The problem was that you were talking about your specific case whilst I was talking about -- in general. You keep insisting I was wrong -- York is better than Oxford, etc. etc.. you don’t listen to what I was saying…. I had to stop myself before I say something that you would not like.

Ok, for your specific case, York would probably do better for you. But in general, Oxbridge is better than York -- in terms of academic prestige for PhD and more so for undergrad and grad.

Let's stop this. It's not worth our time.
Reply 38
the_alba

I already said: let's all stop aiming for Oxbridge because York is better than them. Hope you can sleep at night now. :s-smilie:
Reply 39
Okay, ladies and gentlemen, my argument was flawed. In order to correct that, let me announce it to you that we should STOP AIMING for Oxford and Cambridge because according to alba and Master Polhem, Imperial and York are the better schools. So, to all extremely talented students out there who are aiming for the best education, aim for Imperial and York as they are better than Oxford and Cambridge!!!

alba and Master, there you go. Hope you are at peace now.

Quick Reply

Latest