The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes.
Reply 2
IB is great for everything!

Provided you get 7's in your HL's of course.
Reply 3
Ok...but what about all the things they say about not doing enough maths or not doing enough mechanics...?
Reply 4
Graphix
Ok...but what about all the things they say about not doing enough maths or not doing enough mechanics...?

where have you heard this?
Reply 5
lol_wut
where have you heard this?

I have heard this from my old school, when I told them I was opting for IB instead of A levels and also from my new school, who tell all the girls interested in the courses I mentioned above, to opt for A levels.
Reply 6
There's probably enough pure maths in HL Mathematics to match someone who has done A level Further Maths - certainly there are parts which are not covered in Further Maths, such as the bits about series and convergence - but I have also heard that there isn't quite as much mechanics or statistics.
Reply 7
Zhen Lin
but I have also heard that there isn't quite as much mechanics or statistics.

Yes, and is the really serious or just a small boundary which can be overcome...
Reply 8
Graphix
Yes, and is the really serious or just a small boundary which can be overcome...

As far as I remember there is a fair bit of mechanics at HL, and Physics HL has a fair bit too.

I know in Cambridge at least the IB is perfectly acceptable for all subjects, including the science ones. They won't discriminate your application based upon the exam system you take.
Reply 9
SunderX
They won't discriminate your application based upon the exam system you take.

Even if I am in the UK and had the opportunity to take A levels?

Thank you SunderX
Reply 10
Graphix
Even if I am in the UK and had the opportunity to take A levels?

Thank you SunderX

I doubt it. If choose to take the IB you're practically 'locked in' into doing the IB. They understand the strengths and limitations of the IB courses and will give offers accordingly, but they will never ask for something that is impossible, and they probably won't ask for AEA's either. And a 7/7/7 in HL's is the highest anyone can ask of you, so if you get that it should be fine.
Reply 11
SunderX
I doubt it. If choose to take the IB you're practically 'locked in' into doing the IB. They understand the strengths and limitations of the IB courses and will give offers accordingly, but they will never ask for something that is impossible, and they probably won't ask for AEA's either. And a 7/7/7 in HL's is the highest anyone can ask of you, so if you get that it should be fine.

Ok thank you very much!

That has made me feel a whole lot better!

:biggrin:
Reply 12
If you get a 7 in maths and physics, those subjects are definetely okay.
Reply 13
4x4
If you get a 7 in maths and physics, those subjects are definetely okay.

Do you know anyone who has acquired an offer for these courses who has done the IB?
Reply 14
Graphix
Do you know anyone who has acquired an offer for these courses who has done the IB?

Yes, I did. I took thesame subjects and had to get a 7 in both maths and physics for engineering.
Reply 15
4x4
Yes, I did. I took thesame subjects and had to get a 7 in both maths and physics for engineering.

If you don't mind me asking...what were all your IB subjects, which uni did you get an offer from and are you based in the UK?

Thank you.
Reply 16
Graphix
If you don't mind me asking...what were all your IB subjects, which uni did you get an offer from and are you based in the UK?

Thank you.

I was based in a european country. I got an offer from Cambridge (only UKJ uni I applied to), took a foreign 1st language sl, english b hl, econ hl, chem sl, math hl and physics hl
Reply 17
4x4
I was based in a european country. I got an offer from Cambridge (only UKJ uni I applied to), took a foreign 1st language sl, english b hl, econ hl, chem sl, math hl and physics hl

Okay. Thank you for your help.
Hopefully I'll be fine...

Latest

Trending

Trending