The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
are there many freshers in lafrowda enhanced?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Laffy is nearly all freshers. Nearly all the accommodation will be first years, with a few returners with disabilities (or the hall reps or whatever lmcorr calls himself =P)
Reply 22
im going to say that catered is more sociable. although i never lived in self catered, i do have a lot of friends who were in it, and they're all ridiculously outgoing people who make friends whever they go - so if you're quite a shy person i see you as being limited to your flat friends (not a bad thing at all, but i don't think i could have handled this). my impression of sc is that you get quite cliquey, yes you may know some of the people who live upstairs/different blocks etc but you tend to stick with who you know (people in your flat) and do what they all want to do... i see this quite limiting as if you want to meet people you have to actively go out of your way to go to the places the type of people you want to meet are.... (again, a generalisation, but this is how in hindsight, i think i would have felt had i gone with my original choice of lafrowda....)

being in penny c, i met everyone from there, everyone from randy p, and everyone from lopes as we all had the common meeting 2/3 times a day of eating. i say its more sociable because instead of going to dinner with 8/9 people you go with hundreds and get to hear the buzz of whats going on that night etc, where everyones off to. i made a lot of friends from various social groups and remained close friends with them throughout my 3 yrs. also meant i got to experience the social lives of other people!! not just stick to my best friends who are all hardcore tp weds goers!!

anyway, once again, this is personal preference - 95% of people in catered will think that thats more sociable and likewise 95% of people in self catered will think that sc is more sociable. depends on what type of person you are... as i said i'd initially applied for lafrowda but after speaking to my cousin who had just graduated from ex she was like 'god no, change change change to catered' because she knows me and knew thats where i'd have the best time....
boho

im going to say that catered is more sociable. although i never lived in self catered, i do have a lot of friends who were in it, and they're all ridiculously outgoing people who make friends whever they go - so if you're quite a shy person i see you as being limited to your flat friends (not a bad thing at all, but i don't think i could have handled this). my impression of sc is that you get quite cliquey, yes you may know some of the people who live upstairs/different blocks etc but you tend to stick with who you know (people in your flat) and do what they all want to do... i see this quite limiting as if you want to meet people you have to actively go out of your way to go to the places the type of people you want to meet are.... (again, a generalisation, but this is how in hindsight, i think i would have felt had i gone with my original choice of lafrowda....)
To the bits in bold:
I am a shy person (probably don't come across as one online, but I am all the same) I definitely wasn't limited to my flat friends. Yes, my best friends all come from my hall [two from the flat opposite and one from downstairs, the people I'm living with] But I also have lots of friends from other places - friends in catered halls like Birks and Kilmorie, people who aren't even in halls any more. I know everyone (with the exception of the people who were only here for 6 months) by name in my halls. Not exactly limited to my flat :wink:

:bl:
Reply 24
Persipan
Also apart from James Owen Court, George House, Northernhay House, Northfield, and Point Exe, which are in various locations around town (although, to be honest, Exeter really isn't so big as to make that an issue).

Whoops, my bad. I should probably leave this forum - have been away from Exeter for over a year now after all!

And yes to what Trish said too. And the whole thing of 'eating with hundreds of people' is nonsense - it's not going to be any more sociable as you'll still be eating with (usually the same group of) 8/9 people anyway!!
Simply, no.
Each is what you make of it. There's plenty of opportunities to meet people in catered and self-catered. Admittedly you will meet people in different ways but you will still meet plenty.
Reply 26
Sephrenia
To the bits in bold:
I am a shy person (probably don't come across as one online, but I am all the same) I definitely wasn't limited to my flat friends. Yes, my best friends all come from my hall [two from the flat opposite and one from downstairs, the people I'm living with] But I also have lots of friends from other places - friends in catered halls like Birks and Kilmorie, people who aren't even in halls any more. I know everyone (with the exception of the people who were only here for 6 months) by name in my halls. Not exactly limited to my flat :wink:

:bl:

as i said throughout, this was just the perception i had of self catered halls in my year - as other people have also mentioned, the people change every year, you're never going to be able to predict how good (i use 'good' as meaning people you'd wanna be friends with/end up being friends with) or not so good the people you're going to be living with are gonna be

Angelil
And the whole thing of 'eating with hundreds of people' is nonsense - it's not going to be any more sociable as you'll still be eating with (usually the same group of) 8/9 people anyway!!

once again i beg to differ on this comment as dinner you'd sit where there were spaces so were not allowed to be cliquey all the time...
however, again, angelil is the advocate for sc while myself: catered. IMO i cannot see how eating in your flat with 8/9 people can be more sociable than eating in a place with 100 odd, all of the same age group, all with the common topic of the hall they're in, and all there to meet people: i am myself, quite a shy person. the thought of walking into a room full of people i didn't know for the first week was really daunting to the extent that i almost wouldn't go, but eventually my flatmates made me and it forced me to get out there and introduce myself to everyone before everyone settled down into their friendship groups after the first couple of weeks - which happens - something im really glad i did.
I would also advocate catered - I found it much more sociable. My friends in self-catered said so when they came over. I was in Penny C, like boho, and meal times were extremely sociable, despite what others have said. Especially at breakfast - people just sit anywhere and everywhere and you end up talking to everyone.

I had the best year in catered halls - you meet so many people, go for it! Though everyone who comments on here is biased towards the accomm. they were in - so I don't know if you're going to get an objective answer. :smile:
In conclusion, neither matters. It really depends how many people your willing to meet in the first two or three weeks of university =).

Latest

Trending

Trending