The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask a Warwick Student!

I'm a maths student at Warwick and I've just finished my first year. (Warwick first year exams were cancelled!) I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the university, maths at Warwick, or university life in general!

Also answering questions here:

I AM GROOT 1 - LLB Law (First Year)

parmezanne - History and Sociology (First Year)

This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universites, please check out the main list of threads:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, going to study Cyber Security at Warwick starting 2020, just wondering what the best accomodations are in your opinion and if you have any tips and general advice for uni in general (tailored towards Warwick if you could), thanks!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, going to study Cyber Security at Warwick starting 2020, just wondering what the best accomodations are in your opinion and if you have any tips and general advice for uni in general (tailored towards Warwick if you could), thanks!

I was in Rootes but the favourite one I've been in was Cryfield Apartments. The kitchen in particular was lovely, with a sofa/TV. That whole area of campus is very nice. It actually comes out cheaper than Bluebell, if I remember correctly. Do note that the en suite accommodations are oversubscribed and so you should be prepared to go to any of your choices! The other I liked was Sherbourne. If you're not looking for en suites, two I'd recommend you look at are Claycroft and Tocil. Rootes is good but everything is pretty much as basic as it comes.

What sort of thing did you have in mind for tips/general advice?
Original post by _gcx
I was in Rootes but the favourite one I've been in was Cryfield Apartments. The kitchen in particular was lovely, with a sofa/TV. That whole area of campus is very nice. It actually comes out cheaper than Bluebell, if I remember correctly. Do note that the en suite accommodations are oversubscribed and so you should be prepared to go to any of your choices! The other I liked was Sherbourne. If you're not looking for en suites, two I'd recommend you look at are Claycroft and Tocil. Rootes is good but everything is pretty much as basic as it comes.

What sort of thing did you have in mind for tips/general advice?

Hi there! I'm going to start my PhD in Maths at Warwick this year. Can you comment a little bit about the Maths institute? Also, do PhD students have their own office space? I figured it's probably shared offices... if that's the case, how many students share the office? I don't know if you know the answers to these questions but would love to hear from you. Also, what are the best options for accommodations for Maths students?

If you could comment about the living costs, that would be great! Personally, I'll have a standard stipend for PhD students (15285 GBP for 2020/2021), therefore I'm trying to figure it out my estimated monthly costs...

Thank you!!
Original post by integreat
Hi there! I'm going to start my PhD in Maths at Warwick this year. Can you comment a little bit about the Maths institute? Also, do PhD students have their own office space? I figured it's probably shared offices... if that's the case, how many students share the office? I don't know if you know the answers to these questions but would love to hear from you. Also, what are the best options for accommodations for Maths students?

If you could comment about the living costs, that would be great! Personally, I'll have a standard stipend for PhD students (15285 GBP for 2020/2021), therefore I'm trying to figure it out my estimated monthly costs...

Thank you!!

I'm afraid that since I'm just an undergraduate I don't know too much about the PhD! I do know the research department is incredibly strong, usually trailing a smidge behind Oxbridge if stronger in areas. (I remember someone saying warwick's income from maths research is actually higher too) Claycroft is very near the maths institute and I'm pretty sure there are postgrads there. (so are Rootes, Cryfield, Tocil but I think these are almost exclusively populated with undergraduates bar Resident Life Tutors) Not sure whether there's PhD students there. I have no idea about offices (I know a physics PhD student that shares an office, but obviously completely different department), you'd have to look on the website sorry!

My accommodation was £100 per week at Rootes (among the cheapest) but otherwise I didn't spend sensibly at all. I wouldn't take my monthly costs as a baseline since you could easily cut them by half or more! My rent for next year off campus is about £90 pw.
Reply 5
Hey i was just wondering about accommodation applications, what kind of questions do they ask and is there a way of targeting your answers to ensure a certain accommodation/hall is given?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Nikzar
Hey i was just wondering about accommodation applications, what kind of questions do they ask and is there a way of targeting your answers to ensure a certain accommodation/hall is given?

The questions asked are:

Willing to share a twin room [only applies to Rootes/Bluebell/Sherbourne]

Prefer a single gender area [note that this is no guarantee]

Prefer to be allocated to a quieter area

Time you would typically wake up

Time you would typically go to bed

Hobbies/interests [choose from a checklist]

How you would describe yourself [choose from a checklist again]

I don't think the answers will get you into a certain hall. They may effect which building/flat you are assigned within a hall though. Quiet flats will exist in any accommodation.
Original post by _gcx
TSR has decided to run some university AMA threads seeing as many university open days have been cancelled.

I'm a maths student at Warwick and I've just finished my first year. (Warwick first year exams were cancelled!) I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the university, maths at Warwick, or university life in general!

Spoiler

Hi!

Is there a catered accommodation?
Original post by the_queen
Hi!

Is there a catered accommodation?

Not that I'm aware of. There are many places to eat on campus, as well as Cannon Park shopping centre nearby with a subway, tescos, etc.
Original post by _gcx
Not that I'm aware of. There are many places to eat on campus, as well as Cannon Park shopping centre nearby with a subway, tescos, etc.

Thank you!
Reply 10
Hey! Do you know anything about Whitefields? I'm supposed to be starting at Warwick for my MA in October, and it's the only accomodation I can afford haha. How have you found your first year?
Original post by octo
Hey! Do you know anything about Whitefields? I'm supposed to be starting at Warwick for my MA in October, and it's the only accomodation I can afford haha. How have you found your first year?

Whitefields is pretty cheap. It generally has a bad rep, often jokingly referred to replacing the W at the beginning with an S, but honestly doesn't seem that bad.

They're like small "houses" (I'm not sure what else to call them) at the back of Rootes. 12 rooms, one kitchen per house and 2 bathrooms. There's a communal area too, which other accommodations in that price bracket definitely don't have. It is quite an intimate fit, and the rooms/facilities do seem a bit small but it'll do the job if you're on a budget, I'm sure. You can see more pics and do a virtual tour of one of the houses here.

First year has been decent. The university community is very nice. (and very diverse!)
(edited 4 years ago)
Where else did you apply to and are you happy you went to Warwick?
Hi what are the career prospects like for maths undergrads at Warwick?
Original post by Jamesr128392
Where else did you apply to and are you happy you went to Warwick?

I applied to Cambridge, Bath and UCL. Warwick was my insurance, but I have had fun in my first year overall.
Original post by hello9612
Hi what are the career prospects like for maths undergrads at Warwick?

Superb, some of the best in the country. (expected from the clout of the course) Some things from the university: 1, 2

Warwick is target for many things and you won't ever have issues with "brand name".

A large number go onto finance but there are also other routes such as teaching, academia, software development, and so on. I'm leaning towards academia.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
TSR has decided to run some university AMA threads seeing as many university open days have been cancelled.

Spoiler

Hiya! What were your predicted that you applied to Warwick with and would you say it’s very hard to be accepted? And what advice would you give to someone who wants to go there but might not meet the entry requirements by a slight
Original post by Dehydratedwhale
Hiya! What were your predicted that you applied to Warwick with and would you say it’s very hard to be accepted? And what advice would you give to someone who wants to go there but might not meet the entry requirements by a slight

I was predicted A*A*A*A in maths, further maths, physics, history.

It depends on the course! For economics and computer science you see a lot of people being rejected. However for subjects like maths, if you have the correct predicted grades you are guaranteed an offer, (sometimes even if you fall below this) though in this case the offer is very hard.

Some courses are quite forgiving if your predicted grades fall slightly below the standard offer (Warwick will give you an offer for maths if you have at least A*AA, while the standard offer with no STEP is A*A*A* or A*A*AA), others are not. (computer science routinely rejected people whose predictions met and exceeded the offer this year) On results day - if you miss your offer and they have spaces that they are willing to assign to near misses, your personal statement and reference will come into play. (for some courses - this will be the first time it's ever looked at in detail)
I know the course at Warwick is really really good for computer science. However, the night life and accommodation is really worrying me. I feel like there isn't that much to do and travelling to and from nearby cities is really expensive. Im also worried, I much prefer to live on campus so I don't have to rent, I heard that isn't an option is that true?
Original post by _gcx
I was predicted A*A*A*A in maths, further maths, physics, history.

It depends on the course! For economics and computer science you see a lot of people being rejected. However for subjects like maths, if you have the correct predicted grades you are guaranteed an offer, (sometimes even if you fall below this) though in this case the offer is very hard.

Some courses are quite forgiving if your predicted grades fall slightly below the standard offer (Warwick will give you an offer for maths if you have at least A*AA, while the standard offer with no STEP is A*A*A* or A*A*AA), others are not. (computer science routinely rejected people whose predictions met and exceeded the offer this year) On results day - if you miss your offer and they have spaces that they are willing to assign to near misses, your personal statement and reference will come into play. (for some courses - this will be the first time it's ever looked at in detail)

I’m going to be starting uni in 2021 and so I’ll start the process of applying this year. Would u say A*A*BB is not enough to apply to Warwick with an A*AA offer

Quick Reply

Latest