The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Maths at uni of York

Hey, I’m starting maths York in September, I’ve got a few questions so if anyone could help I’d really appreciate it:smile:)

1) How many people get 90% or above in first year exams?
2) Apparently there are online quizzes every week- how do they work? Are the multi choice? And are they like advanced questions or just basic material?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I’m starting maths York in September, I’ve got a few questions so if anyone could help I’d really appreciate it:smile:)

2) Apparently there are online quizzes every week- how do they work? Are the multi choice? And are they like advanced questions or just basic material?

Hi, there. Hope you're doing well! :smile:

Question 1: The uni grading system is very much different to the grading system used at A-Level and it's quite rare for any undergraduate student really to get 90% or above in their exams. I would say your upward trajectory is looking good if you average first-year with at least a high 2.2/low 2.1.

Question 2: I'm not in the best position to answer that as I'm a social sciences student but @MajorFader may be able to.
University of York
York
I'm assuming you know 70% is enough for a first

Not at York but people do get 90%+ in maths degrees. (though at my uni they generally only average 90%+ in their third or fourth year - top this year was 97%) Depending on the course might mean you're the highest scorer in your year or at least in the top 10 though so it's no small feat. It is not like humanities where most firsts are <= 75%. In most cases you can get 100% if you get nothing wrong. (minus possibly a few marks held back for minor gaps in arguments, some examiners like to do this!)

Would recommend starting the degree and seeing how you find it before setting any grade-related goals, try to go in without many expectations. 80s could be realistic for you, it might not be - maths is very different at undergrad than to A-level so you've just got to wait and see.
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Hi, there. Hope you're doing well! :smile:

Question 1: The uni grading system is very much different to the grading system used at A-Level and it's quite rare for any undergraduate student really to get 90% or above in their exams. I would say your upward trajectory is looking good if you average first-year with at least a high 2.2/low 2.1.

Question 2: I'm not in the best position to answer that as I'm a social sciences student but @MajorFader may be able to.

Not really in maths. As you have the ability to get full marks unlike quite a few subjects where lecturers would rather kill themselves than give a 85+ let alone a 100.

Original post by Anonymous

1) Not at York (though did apply for a masters there) as @_gcx said you will have some people getting 90+.

2) They will tell you all the information in your first week most likely, I wouldn't worry about it until you start.
The online quizzes only happen for the intro to prob and stats module which goes towards coursework that makes up 30% of the module. You’ll be quizzed on the programming language R and what you’ve done on lectures and problem sheets.

How many people average 90% and above in first year exams? Very few, if not none at all. I know the maths department gives you 1K if your average was above 85 in your first year which is rare.

I can’t entirely speak for individual exams because our first year exams were cancelled due to Covid. I know people above me who has scored 90+ in a few exams so it can’t be impossible as long as you work hard for it.
Reply 5
Original post by MajorFader
The online quizzes only happen for the intro to prob and stats module which goes towards coursework that makes up 30% of the module. You’ll be quizzed on the programming language R and what you’ve done on lectures and problem sheets.

How many people average 90% and above in first year exams? Very few, if not none at all. I know the maths department gives you 1K if your average was above 85 in your first year which is rare.

I can’t entirely speak for individual exams because our first year exams were cancelled due to Covid. I know people above me who has scored 90+ in a few exams so it can’t be impossible as long as you work hard for it.

Thanks! What style are the prob/stats quizzes?

Quick Reply

Latest