The Student Room Group

What age??????????????

What age did you have your first job?
What did you work for and what role did you do?

Scroll to see replies

First paid job was in my 20s.
I wish to keep all other information private.
I was 17:smile: and worked at mc Donald’s 😂💪🏽
Original post by Anonymous

15, McDonalds Cashier
Reply 4
That's fine
18 KFC on a gap year
That's fine

Though I am okay to disclose that it was at minimum wage
13 - paper round
16 - waiter
18 - barman
Etc etc
15, washing dishes in a pub, £3.50 an hour
Reply 9
Original post by RickmanAlways
15, McDonalds Cashier

That's very young! How did you manage on getting the job? :smile:

lol im 19 and still unemployed
Original post by nursingstudentuk
lol im 19 and still unemployed

I am 26 and still unemployed, never been in paid work, mainly voluntary.
Original post by robotico2014
I am 26 and still unemployed, never been in paid work, mainly voluntary.

this is probably gunna be me one day haha! I feel scared, like I need to get some work experience, but in my defence I am always doing something, education etc. Idk, do people judge you for that?
Original post by nursingstudentuk
this is probably gunna be me one day haha! I feel scared, like I need to get some work experience, but in my defence I am always doing something, education etc. Idk, do people judge you for that?

Oh sorry, yeah that is the main reason why I have never been in paid work, because of education. I am working on finishing my masters now, and my experience comes mainly from voluntary work in different fields, such as finance, admin, and customer service. I did it happily knowing that while gaining experience and skills, I was helping people at the same time. Whenever I had a summer break or some spare time, I would always try to preoccupy myself with something to do. People do judge me for it, saying that I am a burden to my parents, but they were so glad that I chose to go to uni and supported me all throughout.
Original post by robotico2014
Oh sorry, yeah that is the main reason why I have never been in paid work, because of education. I am working on finishing my masters now, and my experience comes mainly from voluntary work in different fields, such as finance, admin, and customer service. I did it happily knowing that while gaining experience and skills, I was helping people at the same time. Whenever I had a summer break or some spare time, I would always try to preoccupy myself with something to do. People do judge me for it, saying that I am a burden to my parents, but they were so glad that I chose to go to uni and supported me all throughout.

Thats good to hear! I need to get my buns somewhere to volunteer, I did have some hospital volunteering lined up until covid struck :s-smilie:
I had a paper round when I was 14. Not been in paid work since and I’m 21 now.
I am in full time education though and have additional needs.
That's very young! How did you manage on getting the job? :smile:

BTW im Aussie so there may be discrepancies - I legit just applied online and had a (rubbish) interview and they were like okay ur hired can we have a copy of ur birth certificate?
Original post by RickmanAlways
BTW im Aussie so there may be discrepancies - I legit just applied online and had a (rubbish) interview and they were like okay ur hired can we have a copy of ur birth certificate?

Wow you were lucky, I wish it was that easy to get a job here in England right now 😂
Wow you were lucky, I wish it was that easy to get a job here in England right now 😂

In the current climate its so hard! I was stood down from my current job as a lifeguard/swimming teacher and i've applied to THAT MANY JOBS its crazy!
16 brand ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending