The Student Room Group

Year 13 dilemma!

Got my AS results this year and got:

AS maths - A
Overall maths - B (i did the maths a-level in 1 year)
AS bio - A
AS chem - B
AS ICT - B
AS critical thinking - C

the problem is that unis apparently look at your UMS score and they're kinda dissappointing (AAACCC in maths, ABC in chem, (i only just scraped the C))

i wanna do natural sciences and also thinking of applying to cambridge. so any1 got any ideas about wat i should do this year in terms of resits etc and whether i should still apply to cambridge???
I think to be honest Cambridge would be a long shot. I don't think Cambridge feel too brilliant about resits, and they'll definately be looking at module marks..so your not really at an advantage with your grades.

That said, you could still work really hard..do a couple of resits and maybe try and get yourself in line for AAB at A level, and you'd be able to get yourself into a pretty decent university! (Obviously with a load of extra curriculars etc)
Reply 2
for the record, all the typical offers for natural sciences are AAA/AAB/ABB so really i need to be predicted 3As, but my chemistry teacher said 2day that she'll find it hard to justify an A grade prediction: mod 1 = 86/90 (A), mod 2 = 54/90 (C) mod 3 = 90/120 (B) :frown:
i do feel though i'd be able 2 work a lot harder this year cuz of all this malarky!
Not all unis look at UMS - only oxbridge

With those grades you could apply to pretty much anywhere you want, but if you're scared of revealing UMS then i'd recommend applying to UCL for natural sciences
Reply 4
well wat i had planned was to retake 2 or 3 maths modules to get the A, retake 1 chem module in january and the other in june, but i'll also b doing at least 2 further maths modules in january. I feel like i cud b putting a bit too much pressure on myself in january, but then again i also dnt wanna put too much pressure on myself in june!!
Reply 5
There's no harm in applying this year, but if in the end you do manage to bump your grades up through resits and want to try for Cambridge, a year out and reapplying is an option. I wouldn't recommend a gap year if you manage to secure a place at another great uni for natural sciences though.
Reply 6
Isn't cambridge the only uni who has access to your UMS scores, as you have to fill the supplementary form with your module results?
I'm pretty sure every other uni only knows your grade, not how high or low it is. You have to put your module grade down on the UCAS form, but not the UMS mark.
Reply 7
I'm pretty sure Oxford don't look at UMS marks, but all unis see module grades.
Reply 8
no, apparently this year (or last year) is/was the 1st year that ALL unis can look at all UMS scores, even ones you've retaken! this is why ive been so confused about wat to do!
Reply 9
Do you mean UMS scores or module grades?
Reply 10
Helen1991
Do you mean UMS scores or module grades?

both :frown:
Reply 11
But how? There's nowehere to put them on the UCAS form, how will they get access to them?
l3108
Got my AS results this year and got:

AS maths - A
Overall maths - B (i did the maths a-level in 1 year)
AS bio - A
AS chem - B
AS ICT - B
AS critical thinking - C

the problem is that unis apparently look at your UMS score and they're kinda dissappointing (AAACCC in maths, ABC in chem, (i only just scraped the C))

i wanna do natural sciences and also thinking of applying to cambridge. so any1 got any ideas about wat i should do this year in terms of resits etc and whether i should still apply to cambridge???

im exactly the same i was going to apply but i got less than u at AS :s-smilie: so im not, im going to go to a good uni hopefully and then like me you can always think of doing postgrad at cambridge after
Reply 13
i have no idea, but i have no idea y my form tutor wud tell me! shud i just put my really bad grades as pending?
im just afraid that if i put too many modules as pending, then i wnt get many offers :s-smilie:
i might not mention my A2 maths seeing as im retaking all 3 modules and then maybe ill b able 2 get away with putting jsut the 2 chem modules as pending??
i need advise bad!!! lol
Reply 14
Many schools choose not to disclose their students AS results at all, so I'm sure you won't be disadvantaged at any uni apart from cambridge, who will request it.

If you don't want to do that, why not just put in your A for As maths and not mention that you have taken A2? Nowhere will expect you to have done any more than A2, although obviously even a B looks impressive as you've done it in a year...

Sorry I suppose that wasn't that helpful :s-smilie:

Latest