The Student Room Group

What's a good air freshener?

My room smells of dirty laundry all the time. It doesn't matter what I do, I can't get rid of it. The windows are always open and I wash my clothes every few days so there aren't any dirty ones for long. There were some clothes that smelled terrible so I had to get rid of them. It only happens with my clothes, no one else in my house has this problem so I don't know why. My room is small, it's always stuffy in there and the house is old. Never had this problem with my clothes before. I can't keep dirty clothes anywhere else as there is no space other than in my room otherwise id put them somewhere else like the bathroom. I really don't know why the smell is so bad. The smell was in the whole house at one point and family members are always complaining about the smell. I'm looking for an air freshener to get rid of this smell. I would get an air purifier but there so expensive so im looking for an air freshener preferably the automatic ones that spray themselves and make the room smell good and will get rid of the smell but I don't know which one would be best and isn't so expensive. Any one know any good ones or other suggestions to get rid of the smell?
Reply 1
Us Arabs usually use “bakhoor” it’s basically this heavily scented wood that is put on top of charcoal disks to burn it so the fragrance unmasks. It lasts for daysss and people outside can smell it too hehe and it’s quite cheap. Alternatively, you could also use the stick version. Depends on you x
you can also use those unstoppable beads and put them in little sacks around your room, they literally keep things fresh for months
Reply 3
Update : I've tried odour remover the ones where its a white block with holes in and inside there is some gel thing that smells good but that did absolutely nothing and I've had it for months. Today I put some tea tree oil into it and now my whole room smells of the tea tree oil, the dirty laundry smell is gone but the tree tree oil is a bit strong so I need to add something else to it but what?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Update : I've tried odour remover the ones where its a white block with holes in and inside there is some gel thing that smells good but that did absolutely nothing and I've had it for months. Today I put some tea tree oil into it and now my whole room smells of the tea tree oil, the dirty laundry smell is gone but the tree tree oil is a bit strong so I need to add something else to it but what?

Bakhoor or try look for where the odour is coming from. What laundry detergent do you use btw?
(edited 3 years ago)
Maybe you have dampness in your room?
Try moving everything out and having a really good deep clean
Might be just old clothes under your bed getting mouldy and smelly
Reply 6
Original post by Yazziii
Bakhoor or try look for where the odour is coming from. What laundry detergent do you use btw?

I think I use comfort or Lenor but I don't think it's that because everyone in my house uses the same and the smell is not in their rooms only in mine and after I wash my clothes they don't smell. The odour is of dirty laundry but like I said before I wash my clothes every few days so there are no dirty clothes in my room for long and they don't smell as bad as that smell. I think it's from before when I was really busy, I used to wash my clothes every few weeks so they were gathered in my room for months before they were all washed and I think the smell stayed in my room.
Reply 7
Original post by herro123
Maybe you have dampness in your room?
Try moving everything out and having a really good deep clean
Might be just old clothes under your bed getting mouldy and smelly

There's no dampness in my room or clothes under my bed and I have started to clean my room.
My room smells of dirty laundry all the time. It doesn't matter what I do, I can't get rid of it. The windows are always open and I wash my clothes every few days so there aren't any dirty ones for long. There were some clothes that smelled terrible so I had to get rid of them. It only happens with my clothes, no one else in my house has this problem so I don't know why. My room is small, it's always stuffy in there and the house is old. Never had this problem with my clothes before. I can't keep dirty clothes anywhere else as there is no space other than in my room otherwise id put them somewhere else like the bathroom. I really don't know why the smell is so bad. The smell was in the whole house at one point and family members are always complaining about the smell. I'm looking for an air freshener to get rid of this smell. I would get an air purifier but there so expensive so im looking for an air freshener preferably the automatic ones that spray themselves and make the room smell good and will get rid of the smell but I don't know which one would be best and isn't so expensive. Any one know any good ones or other suggestions to get rid of the smell?

Just clean everything down and if that doesnt work then its possibly you.
For smells I use neutradol and fresh air or for smellies I use the febreze air fresheners.
Open your windows and let the fresh air come in and switch on your fan in the kitchen and bathroom and buy some nice candles your old house will be very damp under the floor boards
Febreze air freshener
Febreze fabric freshener works wonders for sofas/curtains/carpets
Use 1001 on carpet and then hoover it up
Open all windows
Baking soda works wonders too for carpet stench
Original post by 999tigger
Just clean everything down and if that doesnt work then its possibly you.
For smells I use neutradol and fresh air or for smellies I use the febreze air fresheners.

The smell is gone now, I used tea tree oil and my whole room smells of it. I've started cleaning my room.
Original post by Scottishlad888
Open your windows and let the fresh air come in and switch on your fan in the kitchen and bathroom and buy some nice candles your old house will be very damp under the floor boards

The Windows are open, I've tried fans but that did nothing. The smell is gone now anyway, I used tea tree oil and that's all you can smell in my room now.
Thanks I'll try that. The smell is gone now as I used tea tree oil and that is all I can smell in my room now but I'm cleaning out my room anyway.
The Windows are open, I've tried fans but that did nothing. The smell is gone now anyway, I used tea tree oil and that's all you can smell in my room now.

Nice one buy some fairy lights from Primark they are very cheap
Reply 15
Dettol fresh breeze air fresheners.it’s AMAZING 😋
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Scottishlad888
Nice one buy some fairy lights from Primark they are very cheap

Hang them in your room and play some nice music

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending