The Student Room Group

Spots from shaving?

Last time I shaved I accidently dropped my current razor blade down the drain and because I had already made one stroke and didn't have any new ones I used a proper old one, maybe about 4-5 months or longer. Now I've got two-three spots on my upper lip and they're those gross red/white ones. I'm assuming this is because I used an old blade right? Now I usually get spots from shaving on my upper lip anyway, they are tiny though in comparison. I'm wondering why I always get spots frm shaving? How often should I buy new blades? Any face-care method I should use? I usually shave after a shower and use shaving foam, and moisturise it after.
Reply 1
Are you shaving with or against the grain?
Reply 2
harmonik
Are you shaving with or against the grain?

With.
Yeah I used to get pretty bad rashes/spots about 24hrs after shaving but that was against the grain (I thought the trade was worth it as I loved the initial smoothness). As long as it's a fresh blade and with the grain you shouldn't get spots so yes, yours are probably the result of using a blunt blade.

I change blades ~every three weeks and that's shaving usually every four days. However the prices for Gilette Fusion are extortionate!
Reply 4
When I was younger I use to get spots after I shaved but they seem to go the next day. You should change your razor regulary. This will prevent the spots. Hope this helps.
Reply 5
New blade whenever I start getting spots from the old one. Gillet ones I use seem to last for ages, maybe 3 or 4 months before it becomes too blunt to use. :smile:
Reply 6
might be youve gone against the hair growth, got bacteria into pores due to using an old razor or these could be ingrown hairs. try exfoliating the area, being careful not to be too rough and get an exfoliator with smaller grains used a few times making sure to moisturise afterwards should bring ingrown hairs to surface and you should be able to see them and tweeze out! if it is just youve gone the wrong way when shaving hairs or its dirt or bacteria thats gone into your pores these spots should go away in the next few days! might be worth mentioning but shaving hair on the face can make hairs grow back thicker and even sometimes darker. if you continue to have problems might be an idea to have this area waxed or some electrolysis. hope this helps :smile:

Latest