The Student Room Group

Solo hiking. Planning gap year (19, female) - Sensible?

I am planning my gap year and I have chosen locations for solo hiking around the UK (still doing my research though), the issue is, I am not sure it's safe. Just posting to see if others have done solo travelling or other things on their own and what their experiences have been. I'd take someone with me, but my friends won't be available and I don't really know anyone who'd be willing to join me in my family.
Original post by Anonymous
I am planning my gap year and I have chosen locations for solo hiking around the UK (still doing my research though), the issue is, I am not sure it's safe. Just posting to see if others have done solo travelling or other things on their own and what their experiences have been. I'd take someone with me, but my friends won't be available and I don't really know anyone who'd be willing to join me in my family.

Solo hike in the UK in Winter? Sorry, but it speaks for itself :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Solo hike in the UK in Winter? Sorry, but it speaks for itself :s-smilie:

Lmao I haven't worked out the details yet, but it would be in the summer, a few months before university starts. I am working during the winter to save up and training for something else.
Reply 3
Anon really just called me stupid. :getmecoat:
Reply 4
Anon really just called me stupid. :getmecoat:

Can you blame him? You're spending your gap year on what exactly?
Reply 5
Original post by Xarao
Can you blame him? You're spending your gap year on what exactly?

Why do you need to know?

I have seen you posting nonsense all over the site, but not on this thread. Thanks. If you have nothing constructive to add, I don't know why you bother posting on TSR at all. Find yourself a chat thread to derail, this thread was made to ask for advice. If you post again, I won't bother replying.
Reply 6
Anyone with actual experience of solo hiking, please feel free to contribute :smile:
Well I wanna go hiking in the winter and I will go to uni this year. If you want a partner, count me in
Reply 8

It's absolutely doable, I've done lots of solo travelling and hiking around the world.
Stay in hostels if you can (depending on Covid situation) as you will meet new people.
If you do go hiking on your own, make sure you let someone at the hostel (maybe at reception?) know where you are going and that you are on your own so they can raise the alarm if you don't return that evening.
Reply 9
Why do you need to know?

I have seen you posting nonsense all over the site, but not on this thread. Thanks. If you have nothing constructive to add, I don't know why you bother posting on TSR at all. Find yourself a chat thread to derail, this thread was made to ask for advice. If you post again, I won't bother replying.

Because you made a thread about it, hence the question...?

Anyways, are you getting defensive because you know you're not spending your time wisely?
(edited 3 years ago)
I mean sure why wouldn't it be safe? Apart from the obvious late night stuff it's quite a safe country for women compared to hiking across Asia or parts of Europe. I know a girl who spend a year and a half homeless travelling from place to place (homeless as in staying in shelters, not streets). She said she loved it. As long as you have good places to sleep like proper hotels and inns then what's the worst that can happen?

Latest

Trending

Trending