The Student Room Group

What to drop? Computing/FurtherMaths? Or keep both?

i just started my 2nd year (A2), currently taking maths, f.maths, computing, physics - was hoping to keep all. planning on studyin mechanical engineering next year. the average requirement is AAB, with A in maths and physics.

heres the mods iv done in maths:
C1 C2 C3 M1 S1 S2
this yr planning on taking:
FP1 FP2 D1 M2 M3 C4

basikly this year, my college screwed up the timetables, they only teach m3 after january DURING my computing class. so 2 overcom this problem, theyr doin jack n i gta figure out somethin..here r the options..

1: change M3 to S3
2: drop computin (its plenty of c/w so thats stress gone)
3: drop comp in jan n learn the rest myself, learn M3 in college
4: drop f.maths aftr completing AS (difficult subject so thats also stress gone)

if i hav f.maths, it boosts my chances of gettin into the uni course
if i hav computin, it looks like i have a different variety of subjects, rather than maths n physics
if i hav both, i hav LOADZ of UCAS points, but plenty of stress lol

wat to do?? =S

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can self teach m3 in your own time very easily if you're relatively skilled at maths, and then go to your teacher when he's free for any help or advice. Simple. I hate statistics so i wouldn't even consider it, but if you don't mind it and you'd feel more comfortable being taught, then you may want to take that instead.

Personally, i would prefer the student with subjects more relevant to the degree than to see a large breadth of study. Which is why i'd continue further maths at the very least.
Reply 2
personally i'd say keep further maths. :smile:
Reply 3
Might be worth asking this in the Engineering forum (if there is one, if not general university one) and asking engineering students which one they think would help your chances more.

Good luck.
It would be good having either FM or Computing. So it's really down to which one you'd find it easier to get an A in.

Good choice in A-Levels by the way :smile:. I did Maths, Physics and Computing at A2.
Reply 5
spex
One thing i noticed : you didn't do C4 in your Maths A level ?

strange college..we learnt AS maths plus two A2 mods and one f.maths mod in yr1. we complete A2 maths (only c4) in yr2, as well as the f.maths AS and A2 lvls

VERY dumb, as they could have just finishd the maths A lvl, or f.maths AS in the 1st year

yea i hate stats as well, was disabled in S2 classes, while evry1 else was wonderin wat the problem was =P

Kalashnikov
It would be good having either FM or Computing. So it's really down to which one you'd find it easier to get an A in.

Good choice in A-Levels by the way . I did Maths, Physics and Computing at A2.

that's another factor..
for comp: VERY easy A grade, but the coursework is miassive, takes plenty of time, and the subject isn't very appreciated
for FM: tough grade to get, needs plenty of practice, but rewards are good =)
Computing is not easy to get A in, trust me i found it harder than maths
What exam board are you doing Computing with?
AQA the bastards,
Reply 9
Drop computing, or keep both of them. Computing is less respected, and any university course that requires programming skills will teach you as if you were a novice.
Trust me you're lucky to have done AQA. OCR is even worse.
Since I really hate Computing and can't drop it, I'm saying Computing.
Really, can you really be bothered to devote 3/4 of your time doing CPT6? I certainly can't.
Kalashnikov
Trust me you're lucky to have done AQA. OCR is even worse.

really, the coursework can piss me off
woow thankz for all ur replies =D
my board's ocr btw. stoopid stoopid ocr..
uhm so far im inclined to droppin computin, we jus started c/w n its killing me. so my layziness tells me to drop it lol

stil thinking about it, will decide by monday..
Reply 14
ninja_penguin
i just started my 2nd year (A2), currently taking maths, f.maths, computing, physics - was hoping to keep all. planning on studyin mechanical engineering next year. the average requirement is AAB, with A in maths and physics.

heres the mods iv done in maths:
C1 C2 C3 M1 S1 S2
this yr planning on taking:
FP1 FP2 D1 M2 M3 C4

basikly this year, my college screwed up the timetables, they only teach m3 after january DURING my computing class. so 2 overcom this problem, theyr doin jack n i gta figure out somethin..here r the options..

1: change M3 to S3
2: drop computin (its plenty of c/w so thats stress gone)
3: drop comp in jan n learn the rest myself, learn M3 in college
4: drop f.maths aftr completing AS (difficult subject so thats also stress gone)

if i hav f.maths, it boosts my chances of gettin into the uni course
if i hav computin, it looks like i have a different variety of subjects, rather than maths n physics
if i hav both, i hav LOADZ of UCAS points, but plenty of stress lol

wat to do?? =S

#2, do it, I strongly advise you.
woooooooooooo:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: i did it! computing is no moree! lollll all good now that chodu thing is out!
Reply 16
!MEna
Since I really hate Computing and can't drop it, I'm saying Computing.
Really, can you really be bothered to devote 3/4 of your time doing CPT6? I certainly can't.

how much of cpt6 have you done?

we've (only 2 people doing it) completed the analysis section, and done half of the design section. we've also started making the program on VB and done all the records on access.
Do S3, it has some genuinely useful stuff that comes up in alot of physics and stuff, and is a really easy module
Great choice.
TSR King
how much of cpt6 have you done?

we've (only 2 people doing it) completed the analysis section, and done half of the design section. we've also started making the program on VB and done all the records on access.

You're further ahead than me. Most people in my class (there's like 10 of us now, quite a few dropped it) have just finished analysis.
I've barely started it lol!

How much did you write for analysis? How did AS go by the way? I remember talking to you in a couple of CPT1/2/3 threads a while ago! :smile:

Latest