The Student Room Group

Can you be happy when being alone in life?

So I've always struggled to build relationships, when I am interested in someone whether it being friendship or something more they are never interested in me and those that are interested, I am not interested in them.

For years it's annoyed and upset me but now I am getting to a point where I no longer care and I am just going to focus on myself from now on and stop looking to make friends or find that special someone because all in all it may never happen.

A few days ago I had a bad experience to where I was attacked and 'friends' of mine didn't do one thing to stop it despite the fact I was heavily drunk so I was unable to defend myself and the attack was completely unprovoked so because of that it's really made me think down on trying to build future friendships as once again I am out of another friendship circle.

Not one 'friend' has bothered to check up on me and ask if I am okay about the situation so they're not friends at all.

I am wondering if you can actually be happy in life by not having friends because it's the way it's beginning to look. And all in all I am beginning to despise people and I am becoming less and less interested in making friendships now because it's forever being a one way thing, I am the one always making the plans, it's always me spending the money while they don't, if someone is left out of a gathering or a party it will be me.

But I am thinking will I regret making this decision to close off, I am unsure on what to do and all in all I feel very tired and sick of everything. Can you be alone and also be happy?
(edited 3 years ago)
I have no friends (well, a couple, but they all live really far away and I only have the occasional chat with online these days) and I am perfectly happy.
I am most myself when I am alone and that's beautiful in it's own way. You can be happy and not need romantic connections.

If you are having doubts I don't think your happy with 'the decision' as you call it. Alone is a freedom that breathes easily and weightless but you'll most likely want some form of emotional connection with another human being; so stay present in pubs, clubs or gyms and you can always have the most meaningful conversation with people you've never met on park benches to feel connected and part of a community, but don't isolate yourself from others just to be alone without others completely and so still be present in the community to pick you up if you're ever down when you need it.
Original post by RossJames843
So I've always struggled to build relationships, when I am interested in someone whether it being friendship or something more they are never interested in me and those that are interested, I am not interested in them.

For years it's annoyed and upset me but now I am getting to a point where I no longer care and I am just going to focus on myself from now on and stop looking to make friends or find that special someone because all in all it may never happen.

A few days ago I had a bad experience to where I was attacked and 'friends' of mine didn't do one thing to stop it despite the fact I was heavily drunk so I was unable to defend myself and the attack was completely unprovoked so because of that it's really made me think down on trying to build future friendships as once again I am out of another friendship circle.

Not one 'friend' has bothered to check up on me and ask if I am okay about the situation so they're not friends at all.

I am wondering if you can actually be happy in life by not having friends because it's the way it's beginning to look. And all in all I am beginning to despise people and I am becoming less and less interested in making friendships now because it's forever being a one way thing, I am the one always making the plans, it's always me spending the money while they don't, if someone is left out of a gathering or a party it will be me.

But I am thinking will I regret making this decision to close off, I am unsure on what to do and all in all I feel very tired and sick of everything. Can you be alone and also be happy?

Yes it is entirely possible. I have been pretty much friendless ever since I have stepped foot on European soil (four years and counting) and whilst at the start it was difficult, gradually I became accustomed to my own company and to be frank it has been liberating as I have more time to spend on myself and love myself. I do not actively seek friendships nowadays for the same reasons you highlighted above. It might be tough at first but definitely worth it.
Some people are destined to be alone, myself included. Relationships are pointless and overrated, same as marriage and friendship. So in answer to your question, yes, you can be happy alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending