The Student Room Group

Anyone been accepted at Oxbridge whilst already at another university?

I'm applying in this situation I have been told that my application will be considered like any other by the Admissions Department, but they said that I will have to prove to them that I am dedicated to this course. By the way, I'm applying for the same subject (Classics) as I will be commencing at Manchester.

I'm just curious, because it is obviously a rather rare way in which to enter the university, if anyone has any experience (it doesn't have to be first-person)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just sending this thread higher up the forum again.
Reply 2
After 41 minutes it's hardly sunk to the depths of the ocean.
Reply 3
Scipio90
After 41 minutes it's hardly sunk to the depths of the ocean.

No, but I shall be sinking to the depths of sleep soon, so I just thought that I'd draw it to people's attention in case I can get a few replies before I go.
Reply 4
Fair enough. Seems they're unlikely to accept you for the same subject without strong support from the other university.
Reply 5
Scipio90
Fair enough. Seems they're unlikely to accept you for the same subject without strong support from the other university.

Yes, I have seen that. But after discussion with both Cambridge and Manchester, it seems as though Manchester will support me and thus Cambridge should consider my application like any other. Hopefully.
Reply 6
jismith1989
Just sending this thread higher up the forum again.

i have apllied to read mathematics and i have been called to an an interview,what about you,
Reply 7
I'm going to request for this to be moved to Oxbridge because I think you will receive more replies that way. I'm also going to request a change in thread title (unless you want to do it yourself as a sub) because currently its a huge turn-off. Any person skimming the forum will simply think that you're a n00b with a generic question. Something like: Has anyone dropped out of Uni to try their luck for Oxbridge?

Oh and have a hunt in the online Varsity archives for this Michaelmas. There was a small article about a girl who dropped out of Nottingham to come to Cambridge and was really happy with her choice.
Reply 8
I know someone who went from a London uni to Cambridge but they switched courses. Have you started at Manchester yet? I would have thought your chances would be better if you haven't started there yet (pure speculation) unless there's an actual problem at Manchester.
Craghyrax
Oh and have a hunt in the online Varsity archives for this Michaelmas. There was a small article about a girl who dropped out of Nottingham to come to Cambridge and was really happy with her choice.

She's a friend of mine - I'm pretty sure she was doing the same subject at Nottingham - English. Anyway, as Craggy said she's really glad she did it.
Supergrunch
She's a friend of mine - I'm pretty sure she was doing the same subject at Nottingham - English. Anyway, as Craggy said she's really glad she did it.

Small University :p:
Reply 11
My boyfriend's studying in Oxford and is acquainted with someone who was initially rejected from Oxford and went to Bristol, then reapplied to Ox each year before finally gaining entry a year before he was due to finish his degree in Bristol! He left without a second thought.

:confused:
Reply 12
ghostboobs
My boyfriend's studying in Oxford and is acquainted with someone who was initially rejected from Oxford and went to Bristol, then reapplied to Ox each year before finally gaining entry a year before he was due to finish his degree in Bristol! He left without a second thought.

But doesn't that mean he'll have to self-fund for at least one year?:confused:
ghostboobs

:eyeball: Must have been a nasty shock when they got to Oxford and found out it wasn't heaven.
Reply 14
ghostboobs

:p: Woosh, that's determination! I wouldn't waste two years at university, just to go to Oxbridge -- I obviously would one though! (Though, even if I am to be accepted, it won't be a waste as I'm learning language stuff etc. that would be very useful wherever I am.) He could have gone on to do a Masters' degree at Oxbridge (assuming that he was heading towards a first, which he may well have been as I'm sure that Oxford would have considered his Bristol grades in his undergraduate application). Ah well, as long as he's happy... :smile:
Reply 15
Craghyrax
I'm going to request for this to be moved to Oxbridge because I think you will receive more replies that way. I'm also going to request a change in thread title (unless you want to do it yourself as a sub) because currently its a huge turn-off. Any person skimming the forum will simply think that you're a n00b with a generic question. Something like: Has anyone dropped out of Uni to try their luck for Oxbridge?

Thanks for changing the thread title, I agree with you in hindsight. I have changed it again though -- but only because so as to emphasise the fact that I'm more interested in people being accepted whilst actually at another uni as opposed to dropping out in order to apply.

Thanks for mentioning the Varsity article anyway, I'll go a-searchin'...
If you apply from university do you have to start the degree over again or can you pick up from your second or third year at Oxbridge?

If I get rejected this year I'm going to keep reapplying.
Reply 17
frost3dbutts
If you apply from university do you have to start the degree over again or can you pick up from your second or third year at Oxbridge?

You'd have to start over, I'm afraid. Neither university does transfers.
Reply 18
frost3dbutts

:biggrin: Bravo for determination -- would you still apply if you'd done two years elsewhere and you'd have to complete a three-year degree from scratch at Oxbridge? Because, yeah, you do have to start from the beginning. But the Cambridge classics course especially is so flexible with regards to different levels of knowledge in its incoming students that my first year at Cambridge would be entirely different to what would be my year at Manchester (also mainly because a large part of my study at Manchester is language work which I'm obviously not going to do twice.)
frost3dbutts

Indefinitely?

Latest

Trending

Trending