The Student Room Group

Imperial or UCL.. can't decide!!

Ok I'm kind of in a panic because I've already given my referee my application and there's a chance I won't be able to change it. I've applied for Kings, Queen Mary's, Brighton and Imperial. And biochemistry at Imperial as my 5th choice [I was told to apply for biochem at a uni I'm already applying to because my personal statement is all medicine medicine medicine]. But I'm really considering changing Imperial to UCL.. and keeping my 5th choice as biochem at Imperial even though they will def pick up my statement and know I'm applying for medicine but not at their uni. But I can change that if I need to.

The main thing I'm worried about is getting into Imperial. Am I not so much more likely to get into UCL than Imperial? I'm predcited AAA but I know how tough Imperial competition is compared to UCL even though UCL itself is really tough. [Don't Imperial ask for AAA and UCL AAB?]. But I'm thinking I'd rather apply for a uni I'm more likely to get into because at the end of the day it's about getting offers. And I really doubt I'd get into Imperial because the competition is so tough and I don't have enough work experience and things. It's not just that, but the main reason I picked Imperial over UCL is because medicine there is "better". I don't mind either course tbh. I haven't been to an open day there, only PreMed so I kinda know what it's like, but I think as a uni I'd prefer UCL only because it's not so academic and I'd probably fit in more there. And it's still a top uni for medicine. But then again I could also get into Imperial..?

I can't put all my reasons into this post cos it would go on forever.. but I really need to decide by the end of this week. :frown: Does anyone have any advice? :s-smilie: Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
My brother went to Imperial and did Medicine, he always said he wished he'd gone to UCL. He did tell me why once but I can't remember, there were a fair few reasons! Make of it what you will.
sweetcheeks01
Ok I'm kind of in a panic because I've already given my referee my application and there's a chance I won't be able to change it. I've applied for Kings, Queen Mary's, Brighton and Imperial. And biochemistry at Imperial as my 5th choice [I was told to apply for biochem at a uni I'm already applying to because my personal statement is all medicine medicine medicine]. But I'm really considering changing Imperial to UCL.. and keeping my 5th choice as biochem at Imperial even though they will def pick up my statement and know I'm applying for medicine but not at their uni. But I can change that if I need to.

The main thing I'm worried about is getting into Imperial. Am I not so much more likely to get into UCL than Imperial? I'm predcited AAA but I know how tough Imperial competition is compared to UCL even though UCL itself is really tough. [Don't Imperial ask for AAA and UCL AAB?]. But I'm thinking I'd rather apply for a uni I'm more likely to get into because at the end of the day it's about getting offers. And I really doubt I'd get into Imperial because the competition is so tough and I don't have enough work experience and things. It's not just that, but the main reason I picked Imperial over UCL is because medicine there is "better". I don't mind either course tbh. I haven't been to an open day there, only PreMed so I kinda know what it's like, but I think as a uni I'd prefer UCL only because it's not so academic and I'd probably fit in more there. And it's still a top uni for medicine. But then again I could also get into Imperial..?

I can't put all my reasons into this post cos it would go on forever.. but I really need to decide by the end of this week. :frown: Does anyone have any advice? :s-smilie: Thanks in advance.

Even though, you may have imperial at the back of your mind, I can clearly see from your post you are considering UCl big time :smile:

I know imperial by name sounds cool ! hehe
You can ask your referee to return your application, so long as it hasn't been sent to UCAS...
Reply 4
Imperial has a lacking social life.
Reply 5
Imperial is a university full of scientists. Wouldn't you rather be there?
Reply 6
UCL seems like the kind of uni for me... I get what you're saying about scientists but tbh I'd rather be surrounded by all sorts of people otherwise I'll go crazy!

I think I'm about 75% sure I'm gonna change it now...

Do you think the whole applying for a 5th choice at Imperial with a medicine personal statement is a problem? If not I can change it to Kings cos I don't mind that either.
I am at UCL doing medicine and can say its great, I had this dilemma when I was applying for med school. Overall I choose UCL over imperial simply because UCL seemed more bright and fun compared to imperial. Both are great institutions so either way there great choices.
Reply 8
Sorry to be annoying but BUMP..:ninja:
Can someone tell me if it's ok to apply for biochem at Imperial as a 5th choice with a medicine personal statement? Because I won't be applying for medicine there... would it be a straight no because there's like no reference to biochemistry in my personal statement.. won't they just be like wth, no. :s-smilie:

maze.e
I am at UCL doing medicine and can say its great, I had this dilemma when I was applying for med school. Overall I choose UCL over imperial simply because UCL seemed more bright and fun compared to imperial. Both are great institutions so either way there great choices.

Are you happy with your choice or do you sometimes regret not going for Imperial?
sweetcheeks01
Are you happy with your choice or do you sometimes regret not going for Imperial?

Happy and have no regrets. :biggrin:
Reply 10
sweetcheeks01
Sorry to be annoying but BUMP..:ninja:
Can someone tell me if it's ok to apply for biochem at Imperial as a 5th choice with a medicine personal statement? Because I won't be applying for medicine there... would it be a straight no because there's like no reference to biochemistry in my personal statement.. won't they just be like wth, no. :s-smilie:

i applied for biomed at UCL. they were a bit funny about it. in feb (after 4 months!) i got a letter saying that my application will be put on hold until april when all medicine interview invitations would have been sent so i know whether i still want biomed or not. and they urged me to withdraw my application if i dont want biomed anymore as they had a high number or applicants. then sometime in April/end of march they sent a letter saying that i have been considered for a place but need to come for a mini open day for biomed students. at that time i had my second medical interview so i withdrew my application.

long story but thats the process at UCL, think imperial would be quite similar.

to the OP, stick with imperial. people there are lovely. a friend of mine had 18 in BMAT, got rejected by UCL but is in his second year at Impreial now. its in no way easier to get in. if u want to go there because you like the place and people, then that a different story.
Reply 11
I'm in the same dilemma really... Imperial vs. UCL... And I'm running out of time!!!!

Everyone at UCL seems to really enjoy it... is anyone here doing medicine at Imperial? I spoke to an Imperial Mech Eng student who said that he really liked their interview process, especially compared to Oxbridge - could you say the same thing about their Medical interviews? Is one more likely to give out an interview than the other? How do the courses compare?

Either way... I'll have to ace that BMAT...
It's really weird how many people are in/have been in this situation!

I'm starting to sway towards Imperial again :s-smilie: The main thing stopping me is that I probably won't get into Imperial! Ahhhh *panic* *scream*
I think UCL is maybe slightly easier to get an interview for, but not by much. Imperial look at academic results more, so my GCSEs were judged not to be good enough. But I'd already got an offer from UCL so I didn't care :biggrin:
It depends on which uni's atmosphere you'd prefer, cos the teaching standards, etc will be about the same.
Reply 14
Ive got offers from UCL and Imperial for MEng course in civil engineering...
But i cannot decide which one to choose as my first choice...Both want same grades...
Any tips would be nice :smile:
Interestingly - Imperial and UCL consider the BMAT differently. UCL want a certain score, but Imperial want at least half in each section... so depending how you fare this might decide which one is 'easier' to get in.
The exact scores may have changed but the general principles will be the same.
Reply 16
Armen.SG
But i cannot decide which one to choose as my first choice...Both want same grades...

this is the medicine forum - you'd be better off asking that question somewhere else!
Armen.SG

tip #1 - go to the appropriate forum and ask for more experienced advice.
Reply 18
oh oops, sorry, didnt realise i was in medicine forum as i had many pages open at once.
Apologies :colondollar:
I am incredibly biased, but UCL is an awesome university and you should give it some serious consideration. It's not only good academically but it has a very social medical school and I think if thats what you want you will fit right in. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending