The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
can you explain exactly how thats not a joke? :tongue:
It'd be a good idea, really convey your passion for the subject. :p:
They may not exactly take you seriously after that..
Reply 4
you gots to be kidding me
Reply 5
okay it is sort of meant as a joke even though we are told to avoid to avoid humour, i just can't bring myself to write one totally seriously it's just so cheesy it really annoys me and it's never actually personal
I am thinking about doing philosophy so could I then not lead it on to questions about existance or is it a NO
otherwise i was going to go one step further and say my interest first began when I was in my mothers womb and I read Plato for the first time
i think it's an excellent idea go for it, it's very original and the admissions tutor will be sure to be interested straight away
Reply 7
lolaclementine
otherwise i was going to go one step further and say my interest first began when I was in my mothers womb and I read Plato for the first time

haha. i think i'd like that if i was an admissions tutor. but im not and its probs not a good idea. then again what do i know :smile:
Reply 8
No one would ever take you seriously...after reading the tutors would either think your having them on, not take the rest of ur statement seriously or, as most would, just close the page and move on to the next ps

That is prob the worst opening...why? Because its ******...NO ONE knows what exactly they want to do till they are at least a teenager...you dont just come out of your mother womb and think to yourself...'oh hey, i wanna be a architecht, or, dentistry would really suit me'
Reply 9
go for it. its only your future thats at stake
-MaNi-
No one would ever take you seriously...after reading the tutors would either think your having them on, not take the rest of ur statement seriously or, as most would, just close the page and move on to the next ps

That is prob the worst opening...why? Because its ******...NO ONE knows what exactly they want to do till they are at least a teenager...you dont just come out of your mother womb and think to yourself...'oh hey, i wanna be a architecht, or, dentistry would really suit me'

Okay you've missed the joke. it's because you always see people with their little stories saying I have been interested in this subject since I was 5,6 whatever or since this happened etc. and that has never happened to me, i haven't been interested in this subject forever well anyways I found it funny
your first paragraph does make a valid point though
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
i think it's an excellent idea go for it, it's very original and the admissions tutor will be sure to be interested straight away

cool!
Reply 12
they'd take one look at it then throw your PS away.
don't be a prick, trust.
Reply 13
lolaclementine
Okay you've missed the joke. it's because you always see people with their little stories saying I have been interested in this subject since I was 5,6 whatever or since this happened etc. and that has never happened to me, i haven't been interested in this subject forever well anyways I found it funny
your first paragraph does make a valid point though

No i can see what your trying to do, but the people who read these are dead serious people...and honestly, unless you do that at an interview, how could an admissions tutor tell if your just trying to be light-hearted...its a word document, they cant see body language, change in tone of voice, neither will they notice facial expressions...just saying, if you do write that, your just dooming yourself

Obviously try and be original, but not in the cheesy or not believable way, as it'll only make things worse...these people get THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of applicants, and they would do anything to narrow it down, and to me, this is a good enough excuse to just close the page down and move on :smile:
Reply 14
-MaNi-
No i can see what your trying to do, but the people who read these are dead serious people...and honestly, unless you do that at an interview, how could an admissions tutor tell if your just trying to be light-hearted...its a word document, they cant see body language, change in tone of voice, neither will they notice facial expressions...just saying, if you do write that, your just dooming yourself

Obviously try and be original, but not in the cheesy or not believable way, as it'll only make things worse...these people get THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of applicants, and they would do anything to narrow it down, and to me, this is a good enough excuse to just close the page down and move on :smile:

Believe it or not admissions tutors do have souls :rolleyes: they're not all robots who can't take a joke. They don't always choose the most polished professional academic holier-than-thou my sh*t-don't-stink applicants. Original, innovative and funny applicants are favoured when they get it right.

I actually think that opening line could work if you played it out right, especially considering this is for Philosophy, a subtle joke about being wise before you were even born is clever, if done correctly.

Yes, admissions tutors get THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of applicants :p: don't you think they'd like to see something a little more interesting than the usual cliche of "I am really passionate about this subject because it's so important to society blahblahblahautopilotpersonalstatementjargonblah...." ?:yep:
Reply 15
Im so tempted to say go for it.

But if i was an admissions tutor im afraid i would take one look at that first sentence then move on to the next applicant!
By all means, include some subtle wit, be original, make your PS stand out.. but don't put stupid things like that in there! There are some things in life you HAVE to take seriously & sell yourself with.. this is definately one of them! it doesn't have to be cheesy it just has to be honest & show them that you are the right applicant for that place.
lolaclementine
okay it is sort of meant as a joke even though we are told to avoid to avoid humour, i just can't bring myself to write one totally seriously it's just so cheesy it really annoys me and it's never actually personal
I am thinking about doing philosophy so could I then not lead it on to questions about existance or is it a NO

I started my personal statement with a mild bit of humour, but it was a true story:

"I can pinpoint the start of my love of Philosophy to coming across ‘Sophie's World’ whilst scouring my Dad’s bookshelf. Unfortunately, I was only eight at the time and did not get past the Greek natural philosophers."

Yours seems to be going a bit far though. Bear in mind there's a pretty high chance that the admissions tutor wont get the joke or wont find it funny.
Reply 17
I wouldn't say it was a wise thing to do. Admissions tutors will sometimes spend only a minute or less looking at your PS - you don't want them to waste half that time working out your 'joke'
Reply 18
Audrey Hepburn
I started my personal statement with a mild bit of humour, but it was a true story:

"I can pinpoint the start of my love of Philosophy to coming across ‘Sophie's World’ whilst scouring my Dad’s bookshelf. Unfortunately, I was only eight at the time and did not get past the Greek natural philosophers."

Yours seems to be going a bit far though. Bear in mind there's a pretty high chance that the admissions tutor wont get the joke or wont find it funny.

:yep: I dig your anecdote. Sophie's World rocks.
Reply 19
I'd do it, my personal statement was very jokey and loads of teachers said it was crap and wouldn't be taken seriously but was, however, an accurate representation of my personality. I got 3/5 offers :smile:.

It was basically an analysis of why the chicken crossed the road in relation to the subjects I wanted to study.

Better than, in my opinion, "I have wanted to study economics since I saw bob the builder and learned how contracts and bidding work in a real-world sense."

Latest

Trending

Trending