The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Why does swansea have low entry requirements>

Swansea is overall a strong university from what I've seen. Yet their requirements seem extremely low for Physics Bsc at only BBB (I just got an offer for that).
Is it just specific to Wales, and if so what differentiates Swansea from Leicester a university which performs similarly for physics but has requirements of around AAB.

Thanks!
Original post by TJRaven
Swansea is overall a strong university from what I've seen. Yet their requirements seem extremely low for Physics Bsc at only BBB (I just got an offer for that).
Is it just specific to Wales, and if so what differentiates Swansea from Leicester a university which performs similarly for physics but has requirements of around AAB.

Thanks!

I dont know specifically about Physics but it does depend on the likely numbers and spaces available. The less spare spaces the higher the grade. I do know that Leicester does tend to accept people with far lower grades for other subjects. As an example it made an unconditional offer for Geography with BCD and in clearing for Law in 2019 accepted much lower than its published grades. Keeping grades high can sometimes be a way of making a university more selective than it actually is.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
I got accepted into swansea for phys this year with grades BBC in maths, physics, comp accordingly after being rejected by my firm & insurance and from what i know they accepted some with solid grades -AAA type but also some students with even lower grades than myself in the order of CCD, CCC which i did find quite weird considering physics degree isn’t exactly a degree thats ‘easy’.
But anyways the unis been great so far. Absolutely fantastic staff btw! (something that may not be too common) (Im from Birmingham btw) and although I intended on going to Nottingham with requirement A*AA not taking our alvels did me dirty but anyways like the person above said, im assuming the low grades are due to higher number available spaces they end up having so they have to fill them up. But my recommendation is if you’re a student who’s solely interested in challenge go for a uni like Birmingham, Nottingham etc with higher requirements it means you’ll most likely find they’ll give you less support and push you much harder than a uni like swansea or cardiff if that’s something you may want. So essentially because swansea accept ‘weaker’ students, they provide a lottttt more support to students which comes in handy to the ‘stronger’ students aswell which is essentially what drives their position reasonable up the leagues tables.
My son chose Swansea for Physics. He had A*A*A* in Maths, Chem and Phys. He could have attended any UK uni. The staff and teaching at Swansea are brilliant. There's no 'Us and Them'. It's relaxed and non-snobby.They understand people have a passion for a subject and not everyone can ace exams. They give you a good chance. There are brilliant links to CERN and the student support is great.

Quick Reply

Latest