The Student Room Group

Protein Powder: Questions and Advice Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Smack
For muscle and strength a general rule is 1g per lb of bodyweight. not sure how well this transfers over to cycling, though. Might be overkill, might not.

There is no maximum amount of protein the body can digest in one sitting. Protein isn't digested instantly. For example, it can take up to 7 hours to digest the protein in milk. Whey, the most commonly used protein, takes about an hour.

If you cycle a lot, carb intake will also be important.

So is it a good idea to have a shake every day then once ?

At the moment I only have a shake after my workout, not sure whether I am on the right track or not :confused:

I use one of the spoons I got from a Holland and Barret Protein box not sure whats its exactly called ?:confused:

I think I sound like I am lost :biggrin: might need to do a bit of thorough research on this though.
Depends how much protein you get in your meals and milk.
Reply 382
5 meals and a few glasses of milk here and there, but the milk is not consistent ?

The meals are consistent, I have come to a cetain stage where I can't go without the meals and never can sleep on a empty stomach.
Reply 383
It states on the Impact Blend pack to consume between meals. However is it alright to have one a minute before a meal or does this reduce its effectiveness?
There is maximum that we can take in a sitting and research suggests this is ~20-30g maximum.

You should attempt to leave 2 hours between feeds!
As a pre-workout meal, how much oats would you typically mix with a MyProtein shake?

Also, as a post-workout meal would you recommend mixing it with dextrose (I've seen that advised in the past) or some other high GI carb?
TheLandOfNorwegia
As a pre-workout meal, how much oats would you typically mix with a MyProtein shake?

Also, as a post-workout meal would you recommend mixing it with dextrose (I've seen that advised in the past) or some other high GI carb?

Don't know if you found out your answer but here's a good wee read.

Have you purchased dextrose? It's dead sweet. Try maltodextrin.
cowsforsale
Don't know if you found out your answer but here's a good wee read.

Have you purchased dextrose? It's dead sweet. Try maltodextrin.

Thanks for that link, I guess a little research into insulin and it's effect on fat loss is in order. I'm focusing a lot more on how my body works with regards to carbs right now rather than aiming for gains, discovering little bits of information like thhat is great for endos like me.
This may have been asked before but;

Does too much protein (130g +) harm health in any way in the long term? From reading up on some nutritionists they seem to think it cause kidney disease...

I am open to the fact that this may be complete bulls--- ?
Reply 389
MikeOxLong

Does too much protein (130g +) harm health in any way in the long term? From reading up on some nutritionists they seem to think it cause kidney disease...

Only in people who already have kidney problems.
Reply 390
MikeOxLong

Show me where you read that.

It's complete bulls---.
SMed
Show me where you read that.

It's complete bulls---.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Side_Effects_of_Too_Much_Protein_in_the_Diet

In short, is it just potential? Same as most things in life?
MikeOxLong
In short, is it just potential? Same as most things in life?

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Side_Effects_of_Too_Much_Protein_in_the_Diet

So what happens when your diet goes far beyond the recommended level of protein, as you might do if following a high protein diet? One of the main concerns has to do with the stress put on the kidneys.

Unless you're consuming absolutely vast quantities (ie; significantly greater than 1g/lb or bodyweight) and/or not drinking sufficient water your body is not going to have any problems excreting excess proteins as urea.

Another issue regarding getting too much protein is leeching of calcium from the bones. The acids released by the body as it digests protein are absorbed with the help of calcium. So if you aren't getting enough calcium, your body will take calcium from your bones.

Not a problem at all provided you consume plenty of calcium rich foods.

The Nurses Healthy Study even showed that women who ate more than 95 grams of protein were more likely to have broken their wrist than were women who ate less protein.

Women, especially elderly women, are particularly prone to osteoporosis irrespective of protein intake, likewise there is no mention of other factors which affect bone density and strength (eg; exercise, consuming plenty of calcium rich foods, etc).

There is also some evidence that eating a lot of protein can induce or aggravate allergies.

'Some' sounds rather sketchy to me. Likewise there is no mention of how much, the source, etc.

I'll tell you what we do know, people who come from farming backgrounds, especially dairy farming backgrounds, who consume a relatively large amount of dairy products (and consequently protein) are significantly less likely to suffer from allergies and illness.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

Adding more protein but not more calories or exercise to your diet won't help you build more muscle mass...

Eating more protein and increasing total caloric intake while maintaining the same exercise level will build an equal amount of additional fat and muscle mass, according to a study published in 1992 in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.

Common sense hopefully but largely irrelevant - it isn't an argument against high protein diets but rather an argument against eating and exercising poorly.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

Firstly it is extremely unlikely that you will enter a state of ketosis solely by getting 30+% of your calories from protein - it is far more likely to occur as a result of consuming an extremely low carbohydrate intake (ie; <50g per day).

What to avoid dehydration and help your kidneys filter out toxins? Drink plenty of water.

Yes you can lose water weight on a ketogenic diet but the nutritionist in question neglects to mention that it is a very effective way of losing large amounts of fat with comparatively little muscle.

How Much Protein Do I Need?

The amount of protein you require depends on your weight and your daily caloric intake. Most Americans consume more than enough protein in their daily diets. A few specific groups of people are at risk for being protein-deficient, including elderly women and people with illnesses or eating disorders. A protein deficiency is defined as eating 50% to 75% of the recommended amount of daily protein, Butterfield explains.

Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

Protein should also make up approximately 15% of your total daily caloric intake, also according to the RDA. In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein.

The RDA is based on your 'average' person. What is your 'average' person? Overweight and inactive - anybody reasonably active, fighting an illness or growing is going to require significantly more protein than 0.36g per lb of bodyweight.
Reply 393
Recently bought a different protein shake (PHD Synergy) and having just tried it today its absolutely disgusting. I'm mixing it exactly as it says on the tub, have tried with water and milk but it still tastes chalky :confused:

Anyone else got any experience with this shake to tell me whether this is normal or not?
For you people who have the MP impact whey, what amount do you suggest I take after a work out? They suggest 25g is that right? In the past I've taken a lot more than that in a shake. Thanks!
Reply 395
2 MP scoops.
Reply 396
Hi all

I want to start weight training to gain some muscle so have been looking to get myself to protein powder to get myself going.

I have surfed a few sites but am not sure who do buy from.

So far I have found
www.monstersupplements.com
www.vigour.co.uk
www.myprotein.com

Any advice?
Reply 397
Crixus
Hi all

I want to start weight training to gain some muscle so have been looking to get myself to protein powder to get myself going.

I have surfed a few sites but am not sure who do buy from.

So far I have found
www.monstersupplements.com
www.vigour.co.uk
www.myprotein.com

Any advice?

never head of vigour tbh.

monster mainly sell branded stuff I think like Reflex, PhD etc which you'll usually pay a bit extra for over myprotein.

Most here will recommend myprotein (myself included). Very reasonable prices and most the flavour taste good. Get a further 5% off your first order with MP61160 as well :smile:

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/impact_whey_protein
Hey,

I've never taken Impact Whey before (used Cyclone and Hurricane Evo) and was wondering whether whey had any time limit on when it should be consumed. Does it need to be necked in less than 5 minutes or can it sit in my bottle for a bit before being reshaken and consumed?

I only ask because the stuff I have been taking all contained creatine which obviously denatures after 5 or so minutes in water and needs to be taken quite quickly.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 399
BillyMarsh
Hey,

I've never taken Impact Whey before (used Cyclone and Hurricane Evo) and was wondering whether whey had any time limit on when it should be consumed. Does it need to be necked in less than 5 minutes or can it sit in my bottle for a bit before being reshaken and consumed?

I only ask because the stuff I have been taking all contained creatine which obviously denatures after 5 or so minutes in water and needs to be taken quite quickly.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

I'd just have it soon as possible, if it's a big shake and it'll take you half an hour to down it or whatever, then I wouldn't worry too much. Just don't leave it sitting around for ages.

Quick Reply

Latest