The Student Room Group

Protein Powder: Questions and Advice Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Tango189
Are you having shakes with milk or water?

I've only ever had shakes with water so far!
has anyone else Tried Pro-10.com I love there whey!
Just ordered 1.8kg of recovery carbs-protein powder from Myprotein for running, this is the first time I've tried a shake. Standard 3:1 carbs-protein ratio, will look to use straight after track sessions and long runs.
i'm getting in to running + swimming most days and doing weights 3/4 days a week. the problem is that i do the most of my weights pretty much before bed (i have my own kit at home), will this ruin my gains? and if i'm doing weights at night when is the best time to take a protein shake? looking on this thread it looks like myprotein.com is the best.
thank you for any advice!
Original post by krazzie_ammo
i'm getting in to running + swimming most days and doing weights 3/4 days a week. the problem is that i do the most of my weights pretty much before bed (i have my own kit at home), will this ruin my gains? and if i'm doing weights at night when is the best time to take a protein shake? looking on this thread it looks like myprotein.com is the best.
thank you for any advice!

Protein shake (with water, not milk) within 30-40 minutes of finishing your workout. It won't ruin your gains, only bad point is that the higher adrenaline levels may make it harder for you to fall asleep right? Also make sure you workout around 3 hours after a full meal. Make sure you add your carb source to the post-workout protein shake, I use a banana innit!
Original post by The Doggfather
Protein shake (with water, not milk) within 30-40 minutes of finishing your workout. It won't ruin your gains, only bad point is that the higher adrenaline levels may make it harder for you to fall asleep right? Also make sure you workout around 3 hours after a full meal. Make sure you add your carb source to the post-workout protein shake, I use a banana innit!

why not milk? i was thinking of taking the protein after my my run/swim during the day instead. will it be less effective? yeah aha working out right before bed makes it quite hard to fall asleep so i just have a shower and it sorts me out
Original post by krazzie_ammo
why not milk? i was thinking of taking the protein after my my run/swim during the day instead. will it be less effective? yeah aha working out right before bed makes it quite hard to fall asleep so i just have a shower and it sorts me out

You can mix it with milk if you want to but it slows down absorption. Since you are planning on taking it after running/swimming instead of heavy weight lifting, then it's perfectly fine to mix it with milk.
(edited 11 years ago)
What do you all think about HEMP?
Reply 588
Hi guys, I just started working out and before i saw this thread i started using goprotein protein shakes(I get a 2kg tub for 34 pounds). I was wondering if anyone else uses this, or if anyone thinks there are better products out there.

From reading this thread i realise that myprotein is popular. Should i change to this? and if so can anyone post a link to which one i should use. I would be very greatful because to be honest the way they describe the protein shakes with all the purposfuly scientific jargon and slurr just seems like advertising and is very confusing.

Thanks
hey guys, got a couple of quesitons

i normally don't have breakfast and sometimes work out around 10am, i take my protein after and generally one after dinner.

1. am i ruining my gains by working out before breakfast if i'm taking a shake and eating literally straight after? (keep the shake+banana in my gym bag)
2. i generally take 2 shakes a day, when should i be taking my second shake?
the options i can think of are
a - before my workout in the morning, but then i'll be taking 2 shakes in the space of an hour or so
b - before dinner but i don't know how if my dinner would affect how the protein is digested
c - after dinner
d - before bed but i'm not sure if lying down would reduce the absorption

i am currently taking it every 12 hours, 1 shake around 11am and 1 shake around 11pm, going to bed around 12ish, just wondering when would be best

any advice would be appreciated
I compete in many events in rowing and I've started using protein powders, in specific whey protein. However in an article i read, it said some brands put in steroids, just a small amount, but detectable, the penalty for this in BR (British Rowing) is banning from competition, i think. I was wondering if someone could tell me which brands use these steroids, and which don't?
Reply 591
Lol, I'd love to see the article you read that in.
Original post by Dennerers
I was wondering if someone could tell me which brands use these steroids, and which don't?

Muscletech do, especially in their Celltech product.

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that bb.com are getting pulled up for this very situation.
I was scared of the sides of whey protein, but the only sides i get from my http://www.pro-10.com whey is a sexified body and a happy Girlfriend please use my 5% discount vocucher e457bd76 if you order!
AHAHAHAH steroids in protein powder, LOL that's funny, where did you read that?
Hey, I'm thinking about starting on protein once I've researched it. I want to bulk up slightly and get 'ripped'. I am 5'10" and weigh just under 11 stone. I was thinking I would buy standard whey protein from myprotein, but I have a few questions.

How much, how often and when would I need to take it to achieve my aims?
How often would I need to go to the gym and would it be a combination of cardio and weights?
What would I mix it with?
Are there any potential problems that could arise from taking protein?

Any help would be much appreciated.
I read it in the British Rowing magazine.
Original post by Dennerers
I compete in many events in rowing and I've started using protein powders, in specific whey protein. However in an article i read, it said some brands put in steroids, just a small amount, but detectable, the penalty for this in BR (British Rowing) is banning from competition, i think. I was wondering if someone could tell me which brands use these steroids, and which don't?

Not true.

Think about it. Steroids are class C drugs in the UK- they are legal to posess and import in person for personal use. They are illegal to sell and doing so carries a hefty fine and a prison sentence of 14 years.

No manufacturer will risk hefty fines/prison sentences for execs and most importantly their reputation by putting an illegal substance in their products and no retailer (GNC, ASDA, Tesco, Holland and Barret etc.) will risk hefty fines/prison sentences for execs and most importantly their reputation by selling products containing an illegal substance.

Magazines love to spew bull**** like that to sell more magazines. Simple.

There are some legal supps that are banned by certain sporting bodies, however. Ephedrine (a reasonably common, legal fat burner) is now on the IOC's banned list as are prohormones.

If you're competing it's down to you to know the banned substance list and it's up to you to check the labels of the **** that you buy.
Original post by Old School
Not true.

Think about it. Steroids are class C drugs in the UK- they are legal to posess and import in person for personal use. They are illegal to sell and doing so carries a hefty fine and a prison sentence of 14 years.

No manufacturer will risk hefty fines/prison sentences for execs and most importantly their reputation by putting an illegal substance in their products and no retailer (GNC, ASDA, Tesco, Holland and Barret etc.) will risk hefty fines/prison sentences for execs and most importantly their reputation by selling products containing an illegal substance.

Magazines love to spew bull**** like that to sell more magazines. Simple.

There are some legal supps that are banned by certain sporting bodies, however. Ephedrine (a reasonably common, legal fat burner) is now on the IOC's banned list as are prohormones.

If you're competing it's down to you to know the banned substance list and it's up to you to check the labels of the **** that you buy.

Cheers this was really helpful. :biggrin: Now i think about what you said, it does seem like the mag might have been exaggerated.

Quick Reply

Latest