The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MrShifty
You got a nice gown? Most of the PhD gowns I've seen are minging clown pants things in orange and purple, I had hoped that the hat would make up for it, but apparently not.

It was different and less people had it on so therefore in the tiny helicopter parent mind it must therefore be nice and better in every way.
ChemistBoy
It was different and less people had it on so therefore in the tiny helicopter parent mind it must therefore be nice and better in every way.

Did you buy the gown?
ChemistBoy
The hat is seriously over-rated. Although I did manage to spark of an argument between a helicopter parent and her precious little darling whilst I was posing for photos with my parents at graduation. The mother didn't seem to get that a PhD was a higher degree and so her little cherub couldn't have done it straight out of university and got the nice gown and floppy hat. It was the highlight of the day.

I need to hear more about this.
Better job prospects and higher pay, plus you may really enjoy the project and it could lead to publications.

If you want a better idea of the kind of jobs asking for a PhD in your field search New Scientist Jobs.
MrShifty
The main reason I'm doing a PhD is for the opportunity to wear a silly tudor style hat in public, everything else is a bonus.

I've got to say that wearing that beret would be a downside to me. It really doesn't do the graduate any favours.

Hobnob
Well, it really depends on your subject, what you plan to do afterwards, and what you consider "beneficial".
Subject wise I thought all lecturers at uni need a PhD.
Reply 25
Eubacterium
Subject wise I thought all lecturers at uni need a PhD.

It's not a formal requirement as far as I know, but in practice it pretty much is, of course. I don't see how this would change anything about my point that the "benefits" of a PhD are partly subject-dependent, though. Not everybody who does a PhD is hoping to become a lecturer, after all.
Most decent places require it like IMF and UN for top jobs. It is the new Ba.
Reply 27
Out of interest, what's a helicopter parent?
Reply 28
LLB Kevin
Out of interest, what's a helicopter parent?

An overprotective parent who continues to "hover" about his/her adult offspring.
Reply 29
hobnob
An overprotective parent who continues to "hover" about his/her adult offspring.

Ah, I see. Thankyou :smile:
i think it depends on your future field of work..for example if you plan to be an academician then it would be very important to get PhD...good luck..I'm going to nottingham next month for my PhD in highway engineering. This is my first time out from my country and worry me much. Wish me luck.:smile:
Reply 31
someone needs to write a PHD guide for all PHDs maybe get all the smartest people in the world to add stuff in.

I mean all PHDs do different things, for example a PHD in nursing is very different to one in Chemistry lol.
reikazen
someone needs to write a PHD guide for all PHDs maybe get all the smartest people in the world to add stuff in.

I mean all PHDs do different things, for example a PHD in nursing is very different to one in Chemistry lol.

A PhD in Chemistry can be very different from a PhD in Chemistry - that's why there isn't a good guide as such.

This is reasonable: http://www.findaphd.com/students/faqs.asp

Latest

Trending

Trending