The Student Room Group

Swedish syllabus

Ok here's the deal. I'm don't know the A-level system too well but as far I understand it you study 3- <8 (if your not crazy or something) subjects? Most study 3 right?

In Sweden we have a totally different system (yes I was able to choose IB but that's not the point). We have approximately 10 subjects for the last year, I have about 14-15.

Now I am supposed to compete with other students for an engineering course when I haven't had English the last year, a lot less advanced physics and maths and also less class time.

I'm not saying it is unfair or anything I'm just saying that this obviously puts me at a disadvantage doesn't it? Do you believe that the tutors would recognize this and take it into account when considering the applicant?

Yes yes, an offer/rejection has already been made but it's fun to speculate, so any input you have, blast away. :bebored:
Reply 1
ponjavic
Ok here's the deal. I'm don't know the A-level system too well but as far I understand it you study 3- <8 (if your not crazy or something) subjects? Most study 3 right?

In Sweden we have a totally different system (yes I was able to choose IB but that's not the point). We have approximately 10 subjects for the last year, I have about 14-15.

Now I am supposed to compete with other students for an engineering course when I haven't had English the last year, a lot less advanced physics and maths and also less class time.

I'm not saying it is unfair or anything I'm just saying that this obviously puts me at a disadvantage doesn't it? Do you believe that the tutors would recognize this and take it into account when considering the applicant?

Yes yes, an offer/rejection has already been made but it's fun to speculate, so any input you have, blast away. :bebored:

Most of us are expected to study 4 AS subject and then continue 3 of them to the full A-Level A2.

Although there was soemone who broke a record this year and got 10 A grades. :biggrin: There is a story with the UMS marks in the times newspaper archive. http://www.thetimesonline.co.uk

Have you contacted the admissions tutor at the universites you have applied to? WHy not phone them or email them or even write to them :idea:
Reply 2
london_1
Most of us are expected to study 4 AS subject and then continue 3 of them to the full A-Level A2.

Although there was soemone who broke a record this year and got 10 A grades. :biggrin: There is a story with the UMS marks in the times newspaper archive. http://www.thetimesonline.co.uk

Have you contacted the admissions tutor at the universites you have applied to? WHy not phone them or email them or even write to them :idea:

For what reason?
I was mainly talking about how I have a disadvantage compared to other students going for interview (as in cambridge). I'm sure my grades are as relevant as yours in other circumstances. Atleast as an indication of potential.

Latest

Trending

Trending