The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Law School - How is PBL in reality?

Hello York students and applicants. I'm applying for law at various universities in the UK.

I'm currently trying to decide which university I should have as my backup should things elsewhere fall through. Currently it's a toss up between the following:

University of York

Exeter University

Leeds University

As the thread title suggests, I am interested in York and I currently have an unconditional offer with them. However, whilst the PBL concept looks interesting and I feel it would appeal greatly to me, I wanted to ask if any current students could shed some honest light on how it plays out in reality? My biggest concern is that it's more of a marketing gimmick rather than a viable alternate teaching methodology.

I've researched it a bit and tried to find previous threads on TSR but the results are limited at best. Thus far I've ascertained that the PBL methodology at York sees students only taking on 3 cases. (Two in 1st year and one in 3rd year) If this is the case, is it really worth choosing York over elsewhere?

My final question is, how do employers see York's PBL approach? If any current students or graduates could shed light on how employers have perceived their experiences that would be really useful!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and good luck to everyone still waiting!
Reply 1
Hey! Congratulations on your offer! I'm currently a 1st year at YLS.

With PBL it is certainly not a marketing gimmick. The thing with YLS is it is a practical degree. You don't spend hours with your head buried in textbook memorising elements of the law, instead, you learn a problem then actually apply the law to the aforementioned problem. Not only is that way more fun, but it is also actually far more beneficial as you find yourself actually remembering the law that you have learned and you are learning practical skills if you wish to pursue a legal career in the future.

When you say cases I'm not really sure what you mean to be honest. A PBL Cycle lasts a week, and I have on cycle that starts on Thursday and one cycle that starts on Friday. This means I do two problems each week.

With your last question, whilst I'm not a graduate I've spoken to employers who mostly haven't heard of PBL, however, the careers advisor has said that this is actually a good thing. Especially with legal routes, putting things like PBL and student law firm on your CV attracts employers interest and they call you in for interviews because they want to talk to you about it.

I hope this helps. Any further questions please do let me know.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Tinders
Hey! Congratulations on your offer! I'm currently a 1st year at YLS.

With PBL it is certainly not a marketing gimmick. The thing with YLS is it is a practical degree. You don't spend hours with your head buried in textbook memorising elements of the law, instead, you learn a problem then actually apply the law to the aforementioned problem. Not only is that way more fun, but it is also actually far more beneficial as you find yourself actually remembering the law that you have learned and you are learning practical skills if you wish to pursue a legal career in the future.

When you say cases I'm not really sure what you mean to be honest. A PBL Cycle lasts a week, and I have on cycle that starts on Thursday and one cycle that starts on Friday. This means I do two problems each week.

With your last question, whilst I'm not a graduate I've spoken to employers who mostly haven't heard of PBL, however, the careers advisor has said that this is actually a good thing. Especially with legal routes, putting things like PBL and student law firm on your CV attracts employers interest and they call you in for interviews because they want to talk to you about it.

I hope this helps. Any further questions please do let me know.

Hi Tinders,

Thank you for the in depth reply. I'm glad to hear that the course holds up. All the information I have is from old posts on the student room so it may be out of date. One person said they only had 2 problems in the entirety of their 1st year which I thought seemed odd.

Think you've definitely helped me decide to put York as my 2nd choice. Thank you for all your help. Also if its not too much trouble, how is the law society at York? That's also another thing I'm looking at as I want to get involved and use as much of what I learn as possible.
Reply 3
Original post by shoreuss
Hi Tinders,

Thank you for the in depth reply. I'm glad to hear that the course holds up. All the information I have is from old posts on the student room so it may be out of date. One person said they only had 2 problems in the entirety of their 1st year which I thought seemed odd.

Think you've definitely helped me decide to put York as my 2nd choice. Thank you for all your help. Also if its not too much trouble, how is the law society at York? That's also another thing I'm looking at as I want to get involved and use as much of what I learn as possible.

The law society is amazing! They run so many online events notwithstanding COVID-19, there are also a host of sub-committees such as mooting society and there is also a negotiation society so there are plenty of opportunities to get involved with:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest