The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Bennus
I'm headed for YINI, and I've got an interview with RWE Npower next week (this is physics based, btw). They're still in the process of sending my CV out to various places but its looking promising. They had sent my application to MBDA, but later I asked them to withdraw it. QinetiQ looks a fantastic place to work, dunno about there either though.

I knew someone who did their placement with QinetiQ and they had a brilliant year. Unfortunately, I'm not still in touch with them, so I can't give you any details regarding projects or salaries.... All I can say is that they seemed to enjoy it and got a lot out of it.

Good luck at your interviews! Have you had any yet?
Reply 21
Hey

The range as of now varies from £14500 - £19000 under normal circumstances. U might be lucky if a co is offering more than £19k.

jamierwilliams
Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone here is considering following the Year in Industry programme for their gap year. I am hoping to apply for a placement at Ernst & Young or QinetiQ. Does anyone know what sort of wages these companies pay their gap year students?

Thanks,
Jamie :smile:
Reply 22
WHAT???
I dont know what companies ure talking about, but the Qinetiq interview i went to yesterday said they pay £11,125/year!!! And the most ive been offered is 12.5k. 19k?? thats more than most graduates.
Reply 23
fizzyfish
WHAT???
I dont know what companies ure talking about, but the Qinetiq interview i went to yesterday said they pay £11,125/year!!! And the most ive been offered is 12.5k. 19k?? thats more than most graduates.

yes i was thinking that. Year in Industry placements range from 9K-18K nationally. (i should know, i've done so many presentations on it i had to learn all the facts and figures!)

i guess the 19K is only for big banks in the city though.
Reply 24
I'm currently doing a Year in Industry and I'd definitely recommend it. I get paid just under £11k and I live at home (£25 petrol a week as I live 40 mins away) so I'm saving quite a bit for uni. It is so much better than just finding any old job in a gap year as you get (well we did in our region) a 2 week course in summer where you meet everyone else from your region so you get to meet lots of new people and get support throughout the year.
Reply 25
I might be forced to take a gap year if I don't get into medical school this year :frown: I want to make the most out of my gap year, save some money so I can go on an expedition to Australia and also camp america or voluntary work in the summer.

Therefore I am looking for some paid work, but not just any old job because I'll have to show the medical schools what I learn't from my job and how the skills will help. Does Year in Industry provide any good medical related jobs? I doubt I can impress medical schools by spending the year doing an engineering job :frown: any advise will be great.. btw when is the latest one can apply?
Reply 26
I'm also wondering whether Yini only provide engineering/ sciency work.. because i'm a propective lawyer...
Reply 27
What's a good placement for electronic engineering anyone?
Reply 28
SK05
I might be forced to take a gap year if I don't get into medical school this year :frown: I want to make the most out of my gap year, save some money so I can go on an expedition to Australia and also camp america or voluntary work in the summer.

Therefore I am looking for some paid work, but not just any old job because I'll have to show the medical schools what I learn't from my job and how the skills will help. Does Year in Industry provide any good medical related jobs? I doubt I can impress medical schools by spending the year doing an engineering job :frown: any advise will be great.. btw when is the latest one can apply?

go to www.yini.org.uk, that's their website
Reply 29
Spoon
I'm also wondering whether Yini only provide engineering/ sciency work.. because i'm a propective lawyer...

nope - business, computing, science and engineering.

best to look at teh list of companies on their website as suggested above. but doing law you can do anything really!
Reply 30
Create
I knew someone who did their placement with QinetiQ and they had a brilliant year. Unfortunately, I'm not still in touch with them, so I can't give you any details regarding projects or salaries.... All I can say is that they seemed to enjoy it and got a lot out of it.

Good luck at your interviews! Have you had any yet?

Thanks, things have moved on now a bit, I've now got a place with Malvern Instruments, in Malvern surprisingly. Its £11,350 per year, and I'd most likely be sharing a house with YINI peeps working at QinetiQ in Malvern.
I'm living far far away from home but thats whats exciting about it, I know I won't be able to save much, but it'll go someway to uni. Or I could just blow it all and have a nice year before becoming a student for the next four years.

Also plan to see my relatives in South Africa in Jan, so I'll have save some for that, among other things (like a uber PC).

Latest