The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When I did YINI last year, I got £9750 before tax, at a much smaller company than those you mention although i believe you won't get much higher than £13000.
i going to do a year in industry with my biochemistry degree- im supposed to earn around £12,000 b4 tax.

i have a choice out of a hospital lab, or a research institute- not sure which one to choose :confused: But overall, i think it will be a great opportunity- to have a break from uni, and gain skills and experience at the same time. :smile:
Reply 3
How useful would YINI be if you're going to do politics at university. I'm currently considering it as one of my options but there doesn't appear to be any sort of placements for someone who will be doing politics. Would it be worth it if I did it with a company not very relevant to my course?
Reply 4
jamierwilliams
Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone here is considering following the Year in Industry programme for their gap year. I am hoping to apply for a placement at Ernst & Young or QinetiQ. Does anyone know what sort of wages these companies pay their gap year students?

Thanks,
Jamie :smile:

I'm working for SLE and I get £10,500. I'll try and get in touch with the student at E&Y and QinetiQ and see if they can tell me how much they get paid. If you send me a pm on Thursday I'll email them to ask. Normally I would email them now but my address book is at work in Oxford and I'm in Cumbria.

Woggle
How useful would YINI be if you're going to do politics at university. I'm currently considering it as one of my options but there doesn't appear to be any sort of placements for someone who will be doing politics. Would it be worth it if I did it with a company not very relevant to my course?

I'm currently doing a YINI and I know a girl doing a Human Resources placement who is going to be studying Law next year. You probably wouldn't be able to find a politics placement but you would probably be able to find a placement. The thing about YINI is that:

1) It gives you a chance to save money before university.
2) It gives you something which very few graduates will have (especially Politics grads) ie work experience.
3) Its a good experience and it means that by the time you get to uni you are more likely to have a positive attitude to work.

IIRC 76% of YINI students get a 2.1 or a 1.1 at university. :smile:

EDIT: If anyone has any questions about YINI then feel free to post them here or you can PM me and we can chat on msn.
Reply 5
rainjan_4now
i going to do a year in industry with my biochemistry degree- im supposed to earn around £12,000 b4 tax.

i have a choice out of a hospital lab, or a research institute- not sure which one to choose :confused: But overall, i think it will be a great opportunity- to have a break from uni, and gain skills and experience at the same time. :smile:

i'm working as a biology research assistant for a pharmaceutical company - i'd recommend the research position! do u know what company it is?
allisandro
i'm working as a biology research assistant for a pharmaceutical company - i'd recommend the research position! do u know what company it is?

no- hopefully i'll start uni in september- having already been made an offer with a year in industry, and i suppose i will then be told what companies i am able to choose from when i start my course. but i'll probably pick a research company because thats where my idea career lies :smile:
Reply 7
rainjan_4now
no- hopefully i'll start uni in september- having already been made an offer with a year in industry, and i suppose i will then be told what companies i am able to choose from when i start my course. but i'll probably pick a research company because thats where my idea career lies :smile:

so you're doing it as a sandwich placement? i'm on a gap year placement but there's lots of biochem sandwich students where i work. i'd definitely do that - more perks with teh big company too!
allisandro
so you're doing it as a sandwich placement? i'm on a gap year placement but there's lots of biochem sandwich students where i work. i'd definitely do that - more perks with teh big company too!

only if your allowed to tell me- what kind of tasks do you perform whilst working there? whats it like?

i dont mean to be intrusive, but i really want to know, because working within the field of science is my dream! :rolleyes:
Reply 9
rainjan_4now
only if your allowed to tell me- what kind of tasks do you perform whilst working there? whats it like?

i dont mean to be intrusive, but i really want to know, because working within the field of science is my dream! :rolleyes:

i run an assay on a big robot screening compounds for potential new drugs...analyse the data...attend results meetings...sort compounds for sample repository and shipping.

it's a neuroscience lab. it's really pretty cool! pm me if you want more specific details and i'll try to answer!
Reply 10
Do you guys on placements all live away from home? If so, how do you manage to save money if you have to pay all your bills and rent? I want to do a placement next year, but if i cant save any money, then I cant.
Reply 11
fizzyfish
Do you guys on placements all live away from home? If so, how do you manage to save money if you have to pay all your bills and rent? I want to do a placement next year, but if i cant save any money, then I cant.

where i work most of the gappies live at home because it's commutable, but i pay rent to my parents anyway and still manage to save some every month. the YinI help you find accommodation. when i looked it seemed more pricey than petrol costs would be though, so if i was living away i prob wouldn't save as much. it's doable, though.
Reply 12
Anyone here going for the YinI assessment day at Imperial on the 19th of this month?

Was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the 'individual assessment' will involve. Do I have to do any preperation for it? :confused:
Reply 13
Well, i went to one in my region, and basically its a small interview, where the questions are simply, what do you want out of this? and what can you give a company? Its nothing a bit of interview technique cant deal with, and although i dont know how london does it, i think you're prob pretty much in already.
Reply 14
jamierwilliams
Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone here is considering following the Year in Industry programme for their gap year. I am hoping to apply for a placement at Ernst & Young or QinetiQ. Does anyone know what sort of wages these companies pay their gap year students?

Thanks,
Jamie :smile:

I did 13 months with what was then GlaxoWellcome. I got paid (and paid well!) and I won a final year bursary too.

I'd whole heartedly recommend a year in industry.
Reply 15
Fluffy
I did 13 months with what was then GlaxoWellcome. I got paid (and paid well!) and I won a final year bursary too.

I'd whole heartedly recommend a year in industry.

oohh, a competitor...i'm currently working for merck sharp and dohme!
Reply 16
Woggle
I'd say very useful. Employers aren't always looking for work experience directly related to the field you want to go into; they appreciate that at a young age and with little/no experience your opportunities can be limited and also that you could've had a change of heart with regards to what you want to do 'when you're older'.

the main things i took from YINI were:

a good addition to my cv
money! (v.useful for uni & travelling)
experience
maturity
confidence
Reply 17
ben3085
When I did YINI last year, I got £9750 before tax, at a much smaller company than those you mention although i believe you won't get much higher than £13000.

i'm on 12,250 before tax. i think 11,000 is average but they go up to 18,000! (that is rare though) but i think quite a few are 15,000. where were you working?
Reply 18
I'm headed for YINI, and I've got an interview with RWE Npower next week (this is physics based, btw). They're still in the process of sending my CV out to various places but its looking promising. They had sent my application to MBDA, but later I asked them to withdraw it. QinetiQ looks a fantastic place to work, dunno about there either though.
Reply 19
allisandro
oohh, a competitor...i'm currently working for merck sharp and dohme!

Hee hee! And another.. AZ...

Latest