The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Economics Applicants 2021 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Yeah - still no one has heard from LSE Econ!

I am actually planning to go to Durham over LSE anyway if I don’t get Cam

After Oxbridge, I think LSE/UCL/Durham/Warwick are all equally amazing and just come down to personal preference
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Anonymous

After Oxbridge, I think LSE/UCL/Durham/Warwick are all equally amazing and just come down to personal preference

It’s hard to say.... Durham is a semi target uni for investment banking whereas UCL ICL LSE and Oxbridge are target universities
In my opinion, I'd say the order of target universities are as follows:
Oxbridge/ LSE
Imperial
UCL
Warwick
Semi-targets

If any of you didn't get into Oxbridge or LSE, would you reapply? Or would you be happy with UCL or Warwick
In my opinion, I'd say the order of target universities are as follows:
Oxbridge/ LSE
Imperial
UCL
Warwick
Semi-targets

If any of you didn't get into Oxbridge or LSE, would you reapply? Or would you be happy with UCL or Warwick

I’m not going to lie. The order doesn’t matter. 9% of Goldman’s Sachs workers (all IB people care about) are Oxbridge UCL and Warwick. Only LSE has a higher amount of graduates that work at Goldman’s Sachs. IB, don’t care which one from the target universities you are from.
It’s hard to say.... Durham is a semi target uni for investment banking whereas UCL ICL LSE and Oxbridge are target universities

Who said anything about investment banking?? Economics is so much broader than that and if that is all you are interested in then why don't you do Finance?
You must be an LSE student.

I know some people who would put lse below warwick etc....

Cambridge does not have 'worse' job prospects! Also the wages part is kind of irrelevant as money isn't everything

Knowing people that have done that doesn’t mean anything. LSE is factually one the best unis in the world for getting jobs and unfortunately at this time and age money is everything
Who said anything about investment banking?? Economics is so much broader than that and if that is all you are interested in then why don't you do Finance?

No economics is the number 1 degree where people get employed as investment bankers
No economics is the number 1 degree where people get employed as investment bankers

I accept that point if you are working back from career to degree but if you are looking from degree to career, economics can lead to a much broader range of careers than just IB. My point was more that you shouldn't have assumed I was making a bad decision by wanting to go to Durham when in actual fact I don't want to go into IB and actually a small proportion of Econ undergrads will actually go into IB even if you consider, by working backwards, the most investment bankers did Econ degrees.
Good for you if you want to go into IB. Personally I think it is over-romanticised and there are lots of misconceptions (all portrayed in BBC's Industry). Do whatever you want, all I am saying is to just realise that lots of us prospective Econ undergraduates won't be going into IB and you also need to be conscious of what the degree involves as you have to study - and preferably enjoy doing so - for 3 years.
Why I picked Durham over LSE is not to do with 'IB targets' et.c. but rather because I love the uni and the course (where I can study Environmental, Behavioural and Experimental, Financial, Development and Heterodox Econ and much much more!)
GUYYSSS IM LOSING MY PATIENCE. WHAT IS LSE DOING ( lolll

LSE>UCL>>>Warwick>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Durham

Thank you!!

hahahahaha i remember my teacher said when you are writing your PS, don't say I want to do econ because I want to work as a banker. ( tbh i was thinking my teacher knows me so well, that is what I want to do
Original post by kekekelly
GUYYSSS IM LOSING MY PATIENCE. WHAT IS LSE DOING ( lol

Irk I feel you
Original post by sachinkcherian
yeah CBSE doesnt offer any other subjects combos, like physics, chemistry. If we want to take political science we'd have to drop math and thats obviously isnt possible haha

Not really, it depends on the school. I was able to mix science with subjects like bst/eco, But yeah most schools don't allow that so I don't think it's gonna be a problem.

Good Luck!
Hi, I too am applying for BSC Economics 2021!
Alevels predicted: Maths FurtherMaths, Economics, Accounting 4A*
A level physics (giving privately, got A in As)
GCSE 11A* 1A
applied to: UCL, LSE, Kings, Warwick and Oxford(I got rejected)
I haven't heard from any of these universities, does this mean I haven't qualified at all?
Original post by sks.....
Hi, I too am applying for BSC Economics 2021!
Alevels predicted: Maths FurtherMaths, Economics, Accounting 4A*
A level physics (giving privately, got A in As)
GCSE 11A* 1A
applied to: UCL, LSE, Kings, Warwick and Oxford(I got rejected)
I haven't heard from any of these universities, does this mean I haven't qualified at all?

It's still early days! Most people haven't heard back yet! Dw, you're a strong applicant
Original post by kekekelly
hahahahaha i remember my teacher said when you are writing your PS, don't say I want to do econ because I want to work as a banker. ( tbh i was thinking my teacher knows me so well, that is what I want to do

But unis love it when you tell them what you want to do with your degree m. So if it’s to become a banker then I don’t see what the issue is
It's still early days! Most people haven't heard back yet! Dw, you're a strong applicant

idts..... I got a 74.1 on my TSA, I still got rejected. Is it probably because I am an international student?
Original post by sks.....
idts..... I got a 74.1 on my TSA, I still got rejected. Is it probably because I am an international student?

Omg I got the same score! I also got rejected, I think we needed it to be higher than 80 for this year
I accept that point if you are working back from career to degree but if you are looking from degree to career, economics can lead to a much broader range of careers than just IB. My point was more that you shouldn't have assumed I was making a bad decision by wanting to go to Durham when in actual fact I don't want to go into IB and actually a small proportion of Econ undergrads will actually go into IB even if you consider, by working backwards, the most investment bankers did Econ degrees.
Good for you if you want to go into IB. Personally I think it is over-romanticised and there are lots of misconceptions (all portrayed in BBC's Industry). Do whatever you want, all I am saying is to just realise that lots of us prospective Econ undergraduates won't be going into IB and you also need to be conscious of what the degree involves as you have to study - and preferably enjoy doing so - for 3 years.
Why I picked Durham over LSE is not to do with 'IB targets' et.c. but rather because I love the uni and the course (where I can study Environmental, Behavioural and Experimental, Financial, Development and Heterodox Econ and much much more!)

I didn’t say anything about Durham being a worse university. I was stating that for a better job prospect LSE or UCL would set you. Of course there are the odd people who don’t get a job from these unis but they have a better international reputation. Durham is still great and arguably a top ten in the UK. You don’t need to get angry at me for suggesting the university with a better job prospect because at the end of the day, that’s what makes economics so competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending