The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Let Period

Argh, help! I just got my accomodation through from the Uni...

I got my third choice, James (L block), which is fine. TBH I put James, Alcuin and Vanbrugh and I'm pleased I got one of them - I also got an en suite - so I am really lucky

BUT I HAVE A 33 WEEK LET... The most important thing to me on that list they sent out to me was this question.

*sigh* where am I going to go over easter? Do the Uni offer some sort of accomodation for all the people they choose to kick out at this period? I don't have a place I can go to in the UK as all my family live abroad (although, I'm british). Help. I could prolly find a student house in york for a few weeks, but I'd have to move ALL my shizzle there and back again...

And I can't contact the accomodation office :frown:
Reply 1
you can pay for a room over easter, but you will almost certainly have to move your stuff (that you can't fit in your lockable cupboard) to another college for a month, as your block will probably be used for conference guests. Think the cost is like £11 a night, I might be wrong though.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Jesus. You know. I thought having an unconditional offer last year might enable me to be able to stay at the university for the duration of the f'in course. I am SO MAD RIGHT NOW.

(though pleased I'm in James, because I think I'm fighting a losing battle to change to 38 week)
Reply 3
All en-suite rooms are 33-week let. You can't have your cake and eat it, it's either 38-week or en-suite, not both. If you want a longer let, then you can try asking the accommodation office to swap you for another room. You can secure accommodation (usually in Goodricke I believe) over Easter, though you have to pay for it of course and there's the hassle of moving still.
Reply 4
Dez
All en-suite rooms are 33-week let. You can't have your cake and eat it, it's either 38-week or en-suite, not both. If you want a longer let, then you can try asking the accommodation office to swap you for another room. You can secure accommodation (usually in Goodricke I believe) over Easter, though you have to pay for it of course and there's the hassle of moving still.

The way the OP phrased it gave me the impression that she didn't ask for the cake in the first place.

Last year people paid to stay in Derwent over Easter. Can't remember how much it costs. The rooms there are fairly nasty and you have to haul anything that doesn't fit in a lockable cupboard or is valuable across with you, which is easiest in a taxi.

It's not all bad though, as the university tells everyone in a 33 let room who has to leave over Easter that the kitchen must be cleared of all waste and food before the cleaners come, or face a fine and have everything in the kitchen binned. Inevitably no-one throws their food out and you get to take your pick from the two dozen bottles of wine/spirits that remain.

The accommodation office is incompetent and it might take you until next week to receive a response from them, since no-one answers the phone. I received an unconditional offer too and was told that I'd have my housing details by August, arrived two days ago. :rolleyes:
sbkynetik
Jesus. You know. I thought having an unconditional offer last year might enable me to be able to stay at the university for the duration of the f'in course. I am SO MAD RIGHT NOW.

Yeah, cos, you know, having an unconditional offer raises you above the conditional peasants of York doesn't it?

As Dez says, 38 week, or en-suite, not both, barely any exceptions. You can rent rooms in Derwent over Easter for ~£50 a week (I think). The en-suite rooms are given out to conference guests, unfortunately, that's just the way it is.

(If you're a compsci, you may notice that an or operator does infact allow both operands to be true in logic. In this case, please exchange the or for an exclusive-or to fix this issue).
Reply 6
slugonamission
Yeah, cos, you know, having an unconditional offer raises you above the conditional peasants of York doesn't it?

As Dez says, 38 week, or en-suite, not both, barely any exceptions. You can rent rooms in Derwent over Easter for ~£50 a week (I think). The en-suite rooms are given out to conference guests, unfortunately, that's just the way it is.

(If you're a compsci, you may notice that an or operator does infact allow both operands to be true in logic. In this case, please exchange the or for an exclusive-or to fix this issue).

ooooo ok.

BTW - it's only called 'conditional' because I got my grades last year. Did it sound like I was making myself out to be better than you? If so I apologise - but it was a statement of fact and relevant, not a boast.

Thanks for the info on the rental options available. That makes me feel a load better - I don't mind moving my stuff... I'm just a bit scared of being stranded in England with nowhere to live >_< Sure it'll work out and hopefully the uni will help out
Reply 7
actually you are wrong dez. you can get 38 week en-suite let in alcuin but only very few people get it as there is only one block that is allocated for that which is block H. All the other blocks are 33 week.
slugonamission

Put your toys back in the pram.

Those with unconditional offers were promised their housing details by the third week of August.
Reply 9
jenjen1234
actually you are wrong dez. you can get 38 week en-suite let in alcuin but only very few people get it as there is only one block that is allocated for that which is block F. All the other blocks are 33 week.

Is that the block allocated for nursing students?
Reply 10
no that's franklin house which is very new like blocks L, M...etc. H is an old block, sort of. My friend lived in there last year and she studied chemistry. Although she had an uncoditional offer so maybe they allocated her first because they tend to recieved applications earlier from them. it is a bit complicated how they allocate people. usually it's first come first serve but there also needs to be variety. for instance, every floor has 12 students. 6 girls and 6 boys (exception of some older blocks which has less than 12) and each one will tend to do different subjects, exception of courses that tend to be large (such as management or psychology or economics) in which case you'll get couple or few students who'll be doing the same courses.
Reply 11
sorry my bad guys it's not block F it's block H that does 38 week let. I was picturing block H in my head but kept saying it was block F for some reason. :P
sbkynetik
BTW - it's only called 'conditional' because I got my grades last year. Did it sound like I was making myself out to be better than you? If so I apologise - but it was a statement of fact and relevant, not a boast.

Fair enough, sorry if I offended you
Reply 13
Basically, OP, yes, you can rent a room over easter. But yes, you will have to move your stuff. It is 5 weeks though so a fair amount of time it won't be a waste moving everything.

Latest

Trending

Trending