The Student Room Group

please help!!!

i want to study Medicine at uni, and i really wouldn't do anything else...

For Gcse's i got 6A*'s 6A's 1B (1 mark off 2 more A*s)

AS- Maths A biology A chem A English lang B (one horrible paper!! getting remarked) n critical thinking C

And for A2 im predicted A's n B for Critical

Didnt't do too well in ukcat....which btw is the biggest joke of a test ever..i got 600 average

My uni choices are:

Manchester (where i live)
Leeds
Liverpool (my "easy" option)

but for fourth i dont have a clue!! i dont want to move to scotland cos id want to come back home quite often....so ive kind of shortlisted Keele, Nottingham, Leicester....

Could someone PLEASE give me some guidance on what i should put for my fourth choice....or if there is any point in applying to imperial....cos i wud need to apply for BMAT by Tuesday.

Thankyou!!!
masoud0505
i want to study Medicine at uni, and i really wouldn't do anything else...

For Gcse's i got 6A*'s 6A's 1B (1 mark off 2 more A*s)

AS- Maths A biology A chem A English lang B (one horrible paper!! getting remarked) n critical thinking C

And for A2 im predicted A's n B for Critical
Critical thinking isn't accepted as an a-level by the majority of unis

Liverpool (my "easy" option)
THERE ARE NO EASY OPTIONS IN MEDICINE

but for fourth i dont have a clue!! i dont want to move to scotland cos id want to come back home quite often....so ive kind of shortlisted Keele, Nottingham, Leicester....

Could someone PLEASE give me some guidance on what i should put for my fourth choice....or if there is any point in applying to imperial....cos i wud need to apply for BMAT by Tuesday.

Thankyou!!!
Which course do you like best? where do you want to study? Where will accept your grades?
Go for a uni where you will like the atmosphere, the course and has entry requirements you will achieve. You've said Keele, Nottingham and Leicester. Tbh, I would go for either Nott for Leicester, but choose which one you want to go. If you feel you can get into Imperial, apply there! Good luck!
Reply 3
crazyhelicopter
THERE ARE NO EASY OPTIONS IN MEDICINE

Oh lay off it, as if you know. Say someone has 100% A* grades at GCSE and two of the places they applied to were Cambridge and Birmingham. We all know Birmingham love their A*s and so that may be considered his or her easy (or perhaps easier) option whereas Cambridge may be harder to get into as the applicant can't rely as much on GCSEs.

Sure getting into Medicine isn't easy but for every person there is a university that they stand the best chance of getting into, to think otherwise would be naive.

I just think people need to open their eyes a bit rather than just repeating the 'there are no easy options in Medicine' because "dah c00l 4th yearers sed it".
Reply 4
m4n0ran
Oh lay off it, as if you know. Say someone has 100% A* grades at GCSE and two of the places they applied to were Cambridge and Birmingham. We all know Birmingham love their A*s and so that may be considered his or her easy (or perhaps easier) option whereas Cambridge may be harder to get into as the applicant can't rely as much on GCSEs.

Sure getting into Medicine isn't easy but for every person there is a university that they stand the best chance of getting into, to think otherwise would be naive.

I just think people need to open their eyes a bit rather than just repeating the 'there are no easy options in Medicine' because "dah c00l 4th yearers sed it".

You realise she's a med student right?
m4n0ran

Sorry, i've had this debate with you before and I stand by what I have said- THERE ARE NO EASY OPTIONS FOR MEDICINE!!!!!!!!! As long as you apply to places where you are likely to meet the academic criteria.

Besides, as I have argued before. Someone who has 100% a* GCSEs is likely to be predicted AAA so meet Cambridge's admissions criteria as well. And as Cambridge has less applicants per place etc etc etc (really can't be bothered to argue this with you again)

(and 4th year??? Don't make me bloody laugh)
Reply 6
Democracy
You realise she's a med student right?

Why do you even hang around on the Medicine forums and speak as if you know about anything? Didn't you study Biology or something? And I won't respond to trolls.

crazyhelicopter
Sorry, i've had this debate with you before and I stand by what I have said- THERE ARE NO EASY OPTIONS FOR MEDICINE!!!!!!!!! As long as you apply to places where you are likely to meet the academic criteria.

Besides, as I have argued before. Someone who has 100% a* GCSEs is likely to be predicted AAA so meet Cambridge's admissions criteria as well. And as Cambridge has less applicants per place etc etc etc (really can't be bothered to argue this with you again)

(and 4th year??? Don't make me bloody laugh)

OK love, listen. There are easy options for Medicine. Maybe most applicants but for people like me there are certain universities which I feel I would have a much higher percentage chance of getting in, thus making them easy because I am a verys trong candidate.

And your point about Cambridge is irrelevent sweetheart because predicted grades of AAB and AAA are the same for all medical schools so it's not like they are gonna filter out applicants because no one is going to apply for medicine with anything less than AAB.
m4n0ran
Why do you even hang around on the Medicine forums and speak as if you know about anything? Didn't you study Biology or something? Why do you? You're an applicant, with no experience of the process

OK love, listen. There are easy options for Medicine. Maybe most applicants but for people like me there are certain universities which I feel I would have a much higher percentage chance of getting in, thus making them easy because I am a very strong candidate. Come back with your offers, then perhaps we can discuss easy options. Easy option is subjective and suggests you are arrogant enough to believe you are guaranteed an offer from that establishment. The problem being the majority of applicants to medicine are extremely strong applicants.
Reply 8
crazyhelicopter
Come back with your offers, then perhaps we can discuss easy options. Easy option is subjective and suggests you are arrogant enough to believe you are guaranteed an offer from that establishment. The problem being the majority of applicants to medicine are extremely strong applicants.

Kind of easy for you to say? In your days there was virtually no competition, the fact you could get in with BCC is laughable. How about YOU come back and talk when you have been through the modern day admissions, THEN you will realise how tough it really is.
m4n0ran
Kind of easy for you to say? In your days there was virtually no competition, the fact you could get in with BCC is laughable.
No competition hey??? Nice to know you've done your research, and BCC I'm not a top consultant

How about YOU come back and talk when you have been through the modern day admissions, THEN you will realise how tough it really is.
How about you do the same? And again tell me how easy some Unis are to get into
Reply 10
m4n0ran
Kind of easy for you to say? In your days there was virtually no competition, the fact you could get in with BCC is laughable. How about YOU come back and talk when you have been through the modern day admissions, THEN you will realise how tough it really is.
Would noone take you out to play today so you are trolling TSR instead. It is really quite pathetic but I expect that is the kind of response you want. It must be such a boring existence being m4n0ran. :woo:
Reply 11
Sweetheart? Love? Crickey. Do you think you're Gene Hunt or something? Or are you actually from the past? Or just a troll? I'm wondering, you're about 17 right? So if you ever make it onto a hospital ward, Crazyhelicopter will be an SHO. Now that would be worth videotaping.

And bloody hell, we're not that old. Even current SHOs aren't that old.
Reply 12
crazyhelicopter
How about you do the same? And again tell me how easy some Unis are to get into

When you have 100% A*s, likelyhood of 5 As at AS, great extra curriculum activities, amazing work experience and long term voluntary work WITH being a great and confident speaker then I am sure you too will be full of confidence. I've learnt that Medical admissions aren't as hard as they seem, because it is the QUALITY of competition and not the QUANTITY.

Although this may contradict my previous argument, the previous years (such as yours) lacked both quality and quantity in applicants and so it was easy to get in. Nowadays we have a bit more quality and lots more quantity.

wideawake
Would noone ake you out to play today so you are trolling TSR instead. It is really quite pathetic but I expect that is the kind of response you want. It must be such a boring existence being m4n0ran.

Actually I rather enjoy myself - and I believe you have nothing to do with this conversation so I would like to say stop trolling.

AEH
Sweetheart? Love? Crickey. Do you think you're Gene Hunt or something? Or are you actually from the past? Or just a troll? I'm wondering, you're about 17 right? So if you ever make it onto a hospital ward, Crazyhelicopter will be an SHO. Now that would be worth videotaping.

My cousin is a top consultant, so maybe you want to take that statement back and hang your head in shame, I believe someone got owned.

Anyway got work to do, can't be bothered to argue with mindless trolls :biggrin::biggrin:.
Reply 13
m4n0ran

You really ARE an idiot. Almost moron by name, definitely moron by nature...

No competition? The reality is, acording to UCAS stats, that it was easier last year than in our year of applying.

In 2008, applications were DOWN for medicine by 4.5% on 2007 entry. http://www.ucas.ac.uk/website/news/media_releases/2008/2008-04-23

2007 applications were DOWN 1.8% on 2006:
http://www.ucas.ac.uk/website/news/media_releases/2007/2007-10-31-first-figures

2006 figures down 2.89% on 2005
http://www.ucas.ac.uk/website/news/media_releases/2006/2006-10-31

Interestingly, for 2004 entry (when CH and I both started med school, applications were UP on 2003 entry by 3.8% www.epc.ac.uk/uploads/consultation/UCAS%20Statistics%202003-4.doc
m4n0ran
When you have 100% A*s, likelyhood of 5 As at AS, great extra curriculum activities, amazing work experience and long term voluntary work WITH being a great and confident speaker then I am sure you too will be full of confidence. I've learnt that Medical admissions aren't as hard as they seem, because it is the QUALITY of competition and not the QUANTITY.

Although this may contradict my previous argument, the previous years (such as yours) lacked both quality and quantity in applicants and so it was easy to get in. Nowadays we have a bit more quality and lots more quantity.
Shame the same can't be said for the quality of your exams then really isn't it?

My cousin is a top consultant, so maybe you want to take that statement back and hang your head in shame, I believe someone got owned.
I'm sure your cousin is extremely proud
Reply 15
Fluffy
You really ARE an idiot. Almost moron by name, definitely moron by nature...

No competition? The reality is, acording to UCAS stats, that it was easier last year than in our year of applying.

In 2008, applications were DOWN for medicine by 4.5% on 2007 entry. http://www.ucas.ac.uk/website/news/media_releases/2008/2008-04-23

2007 applications were DOWN 1.8% on 2006:
http://www.ucas.ac.uk/website/news/media_releases/2007/2007-10-31-first-figures

2006 figures down 2.89% on 2005
http://www.ucas.ac.uk/website/news/media_releases/2006/2006-10-31

Interestingly, for 2004 entry (when CH and I both started med school, applications were UP on 2003 entry by 3.8% www.epc.ac.uk/uploads/consultation/UCAS%20Statistics%202003-4.doc

Hahaha, you can hide behind your figures but you cannot hide behind the fact that there is more quality in competition nowadays. It was literally 2 applicants to every place when you consider good applicants. Now it is about 4 applicants to every place (again, when you discount the very bad applicants).

And crazyhelicopter, I have you on ignore, no doubt it is some personal insult because you cannot find a counter argument.
Reply 16
Just out of interest, what does your application look like then? Grades etc

Latest

Trending

Trending