The Student Room Group

medics URGENTLY need your advice - breach of privacy?

I am applying through a scheme that my local universiity has set up with my sixth form and im confused an worried about what is going to happen. Basically the medical school have requested that the school send a letter to them explaining why i deserve special consideration but they also want me to print off a copy of my COMPLETED ucas form. This would include giving details to them about the other institutions to which i am applying. I know that ucas don't let the universities see where else i have applied to but they will see this when it is on my ucas form. I am really worried now about what i should ebcause either i can leave all choices onthere or when i print off my ucas form i can delete all of my other choices and leave it so that they only see themselves. My tutor thinks i should let them see the universities because it would show dedication and commitment to medicine but i am worried that they will reject me when they see the other universities.
Reply 1
they cannot make a decision about you based on the other unis you apply to, even if they do see it so they will most likely ignore that part of your application form
Reply 2
Is this your first choice uni? If it is i doubt it would matter because its the first choice and unis probably expect you to have back-ups.
Reply 3
yeah they are my first choice but they wouldn't know that would they? They may assume that as im going through all the hassle and stress with the extra paperwork - other than that they have no idea
Reply 4
You are over reacting, it's really not that important and they won't pay that much attention to it. They obviously know and expect most of their applicants have applied to other institutions other than theirs.
Reply 5
the only thing to possibly be slightly wary of is if you apply to unis with massively different style courses, e.g a PBL and Cambridge. Might make them question how much you have looked into where you are going to apply and stuff
Thought you were going to get into GMC confidentiality guidelines. Phew. So glad you didn't.

To answer your question, it's fine :smile:
Reply 7
Ask them to clairify what they mean by completed UCAS form - they may well consider the bit that they get from UCAS as complete, and are trying to get over that you can't accidently forget to copy the page with your results on or similar.

If they are after your demographic info etc, I guess that's a little more dodgy, and I would refuse to include where else I had applied.

If it's the latter they are after, then I think you can go one fo three ways:
1) don't apply
2) apply, but black out these details, and write a cover letter explaining why in terms of UCAS regs and your "rights"
3) complain to UCAS.

Latest

Trending

Trending