The Student Room Group

MSc Criminology and Criminal Justice Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ClDain11123
Congratulations everyone! Hopefully will see you all in October! Got my offer email this morning too! Where has everyone applied for colleges?

Congratulations to you too! I left it open. What college did you apply to?
Original post by kimmi136
Hey Katarvi!! Do you think I can ask u a few questions regarding the program?

Yeah of course go for it, pm me if it’s easier!
Hey everyone do try to reach out to current or past students of the course. They have some much wisdom and insight about the program that you as a prospect might not be privy to. Talking to a current student and past student in a way made me feel mentally prepared, and allowed for me to really see the course from the student perspective. + tips on good lecturers and their modus operandi. So do reach out to one! :smile:

Shoutout to Katarvi :smile:
Hi guys, congrats on all your offers!I'm looking to apply to the course for 2022 but I have no idea what they are looking for in their applications. Do they prioritise work experience over extra curriculars? I'm looking at graduating with a 2:1 (66%) so i'm even hesitant to apply at this stage.
Original post by Katarvi
Yeah of course go for it, pm me if it’s easier!

For some reason, it reads that I am not ready to send messages :frown:
So I think I'm going to have to post my questions here! you can feel free to reply by messaging me back! I can still read it :smile:
First, I was wondering how you can prepare for the program over the next few months, such as papers/books to read etc ! I have no crim background at all! so I've been worried that I would have a difficult time catching up and understanding the course contents. Also, I am not very skilled at working with statistical analysis programs for research. Are we expected to conduct data analysis without being taught from the basics?
These are the questions so far! I feel like more will come up in the next few months :')
Thank you so much for willing to take up questions Katarvi!! Very much appreciated :smile:
has anyone made their decisions yet and emailed Tracy back?
Nope.
has anyone made their decisions yet and emailed Tracy back?

Not yet, have you?
For some reason, it reads that I am not ready to send messages :frown:
So I think I'm going to have to post my questions here! you can feel free to reply by messaging me back! I can still read it :smile:
First, I was wondering how you can prepare for the program over the next few months, such as papers/books to read etc ! I have no crim background at all! so I've been worried that I would have a difficult time catching up and understanding the course contents. Also, I am not very skilled at working with statistical analysis programs for research. Are we expected to conduct data analysis without being taught from the basics?
These are the questions so far! I feel like more will come up in the next few months :')
Thank you so much for willing to take up questions Katarvi!! Very much appreciated :smile:

Hey! No worries at all, here is fine!

I’ll be honest I didn’t prepare at all and there isn’t much you can do to prepare really. You’ll be given a reading list and sent some introductory lectures to watch sometime in August if I remember right, though. If you’re unfamiliar with Harvard referencing that is one thing you could become familiar with ahead of time as you’ll use that in your essays. The course is quite well suited to those who haven’t studied criminology before, in fact there is only a very small portion of us who have studied it before (4 or 5) so I wouldn’t worry too much there.

As for stats, no we didn’t use any stats programs or anything. The research methods course is quite basic and introductory too, as most won’t have studied it before. I wouldn’t worry too much about knowing anything prior, you get lectures on everything as if you know nothing so it’s only a slight advantage to have done it before :smile:

No problem, I hope that’s helped some!
wow!! Thank you so much Katarvi!!
You don't know how helpful it is to get a little heads up with everything that is to come.
I'm super glad to know that advanced stats skills are not required!
Thank you again! :smile: really appreciate it!
Original post by Katarvi
Hey! No worries at all, here is fine!

I’ll be honest I didn’t prepare at all and there isn’t much you can do to prepare really. You’ll be given a reading list and sent some introductory lectures to watch sometime in August if I remember right, though. If you’re unfamiliar with Harvard referencing that is one thing you could become familiar with ahead of time as you’ll use that in your essays. The course is quite well suited to those who haven’t studied criminology before, in fact there is only a very small portion of us who have studied it before (4 or 5) so I wouldn’t worry too much there.

As for stats, no we didn’t use any stats programs or anything. The research methods course is quite basic and introductory too, as most won’t have studied it before. I wouldn’t worry too much about knowing anything prior, you get lectures on everything as if you know nothing so it’s only a slight advantage to have done it before :smile:

No problem, I hope that’s helped some!

ow
Original post by Kennykrays
Not yet, have you?

no, me neither! Are you still deciding between Oxford and Cam?
no, me neither! Are you still deciding between Oxford and Cam?

Then we are in the same boat. :smile: Yes I still I’m deciding between ox and cam. Still haven’t heard anything about funding. Hopefully it happens soon as I have a 75% funded offer from a US school. And I’m leaning towards it.
wow!! Thank you so much Katarvi!!
You don't know how helpful it is to get a little heads up with everything that is to come.
I'm super glad to know that advanced stats skills are not required!
Thank you again! :smile: really appreciate it!

ow

No worries at all! If you have any more questions lmk.
Good luck with the course to everyone here!
Hey guys, as I mentioned previously I am applying to the 2022 course. I was just wondering if people have found that not specifying a college preference helped or hindered your application. I'm not too bothered about which college I go to but I thought that if I didn't specify a preference this would help my application as I could go to some of the less popular colleges.

Additionally, for those choosing between Oxford and Cam, which one are you leaning towards and why? I've only heard good things about the Oxford course but the rate of successful applications is higher at Cambridge with a 75% success rate but i've mainly heard bad things about the course so i'm not sure its even worth me applying.
Original post by Missmai10
Hey guys, as I mentioned previously I am applying to the 2022 course. I was just wondering if people have found that not specifying a college preference helped or hindered your application. I'm not too bothered about which college I go to but I thought that if I didn't specify a preference this would help my application as I could go to some of the less popular colleges.

Additionally, for those choosing between Oxford and Cam, which one are you leaning towards and why? I've only heard good things about the Oxford course but the rate of successful applications is higher at Cambridge with a 75% success rate but i've mainly heard bad things about the course so i'm not sure its even worth me applying.

Hey, I don't think the success rate at Cambridge is 75%. Anyways, it all depends on what you want to specifialise in, and you'll have to do your fair share of research for that. Cambridge is an authority for prisons and experimental policing, while Oxford is very good for sentencing, philosophy of punishment, death penalty, crimmigration and penal politics
Reply 95
Hi everyone, congrats to those that received an offer! I'm on the waiting list currently and was wondering if any of you would mind telling me when the deadline for accepting/declining is? Thanks a bunch in advance :smile:
Original post by lisayan
Hi everyone, congrats to those that received an offer! I'm on the waiting list currently and was wondering if any of you would mind telling me when the deadline for accepting/declining is? Thanks a bunch in advance :smile:

The deadline to accept or decline is April 16.
Reply 97
Original post by Kennykrays
The deadline to accept or decline is April 16.

Thanks so much!
Original post by lisayan
Thanks so much!

Not a problem :smile:
Has anyone else heard from colleges yet? I was rejected from my first choice (Keble) yesterday

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending