The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Uni of Edinburgh accommodation

Hi!! Can anyone recommend undergraduate accommodation in Edinburgh because I am struggling to find information on them. Or if you've got an offer for Edinburgh uni, where are you applying for accommodation??
Hey! I’m just waiting on an interview date for Edinburgh at the moment, hoping to get an offer as it’s my first choice.
It depends what you’re looking for in an accomodation really. My half brother is studying there at the moment and stayed in Kincaids halls, which is where I want to apply to live as it’s supposed to be very social and in a good location in the city centre.
I would recommend looking at the University of Edinburgh subreddit, as they have an accomodation mega thread, which may help you decide, also I think that there’s a link to accomodation on Edinburgh uni’s website that shows pictures, prices of accomodation etc.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by 14kerrs
Hi!! Can anyone recommend undergraduate accommodation in Edinburgh because I am struggling to find information on them. Or if you've got an offer for Edinburgh uni, where are you applying for accommodation??

hey!!! I'm an offer holder and omds im litch struggling because the prices are very concerning...
Hi, I’m an offer-holder and I’m struggling too. I have no idea where when how to start tbh. It seems that you somehow apply through MyEd, but that’s probs the only thing I know
There’s a student housing cooperative in edi that is well worth looking into for affordable and community living!! £315 a month xx
The co-op is £338 per month now and a very nice place to live. Applications for June/September start 2021 have closed now though so that won't help people looking for this year. It is worth following their social media and possibly visiting if it interests you though.

Bear in mind it isn't 'normal' student accommodation or even 'normal' private housing. There is an expected commitment to help out around the place with different things depending on your role and an expectation that you take part in the democratic process behind making all the different decisions that happen (AGMs and the like). I believe their current suggestion is that you should expect this to take 3 hours a week.

Absolutely an option for some people but definitely not for everyone. Please don't just apply based on the cheap rent and not expect to embrace the lifestyle that comes with it.
Original post by 14kerrs

Hi @14kerrs,

Are you looking for uni halls or private student accommodation? If you're looking for a social place with still the privacy of your own room and bathroom, have a look at the Nido Haymarket residence in Edinburgh, set in the vibrant West End of Edinburgh and just minutes walk from the city centre. You can choose between an ensuite and studio room and they come with all bills included, superfast WiFi, study rooms, in-house gym and much more.

You can find more information on the website, https://www.nidostudent.com/locations/edinburgh/haymarket/, or ask me any further questions you may have.

Many thanks,
Puck
Im an offer holder and looking for accommodation, will we get more info from the uni about it ?
Hey, I'm also an offer holder and I was wondering if anyone had looked at the prestige straits meadow accommodation?
https://prestigestudentliving.com/student-accommodation/edinburgh/straits-meadow
Original post by Benjamin6541
Hey, I'm also an offer holder and I was wondering if anyone had looked at the prestige straits meadow accommodation?
https://prestigestudentliving.com/student-accommodation/edinburgh/straits-meadow

I had never heard of it and from looking at it it looks like it's only just been built. I used to live vaguely near there during lockdown.

Obviously it's up to you if you decide to live in private student accommodation rather than uni stuff but Meadowbank isn't really anywhere near George Square if that's the campus you'll be at. I wouldn't have lived over there if I'd had a choice.

I think that's my main issue, apart from price, to take with the private student accommodation options in Edinburgh is that a lot of them are actually very far away from the central area. If that's not a problem for you then it doesn't matter. And I appreciate that it may not look very far walking distance but the place that has been built is just not a student area at all so I don't know how much that would limit your social options.

If I was going to get private student accommodation, I'd look for somewhere closer. But that's my personal preference and may not reflect what you prioritise for you living options.
Original post by BrutusofBritain
I had never heard of it and from looking at it it looks like it's only just been built. I used to live vaguely near there during lockdown.

Obviously it's up to you if you decide to live in private student accommodation rather than uni stuff but Meadowbank isn't really anywhere near George Square if that's the campus you'll be at. I wouldn't have lived over there if I'd had a choice.

I think that's my main issue, apart from price, to take with the private student accommodation options in Edinburgh is that a lot of them are actually very far away from the central area. If that's not a problem for you then it doesn't matter. And I appreciate that it may not look very far walking distance but the place that has been built is just not a student area at all so I don't know how much that would limit your social options.

If I was going to get private student accommodation, I'd look for somewhere closer. But that's my personal preference and may not reflect what you prioritise for you living options.

Thank you, I've been looking a lot at all the accommodation over the past few days and its really hard to decide, do you have any suggestions on where might be nice?
‘The bridge house’ is cheaper weekly than a lot of the uni accom (115 per week If you decide to have a 51 week tenancy), the tenancy for uni ones are only 39/40. It’s probably one of the closest private especially if you go to ECA, and seems pretty nice
Original post by Anonymous
‘The bridge house’ is cheaper weekly than a lot of the uni accom (115 per week If you decide to have a 51 week tenancy), the tenancy for uni ones are only 39/40. It’s probably one of the closest private especially if you go to ECA, and seems pretty nice

Thanks! I'll have a look now
Original post by Benjamin6541

Make sure you buy a bus pass if you want to live there. London Road is also quite busy.

Although if you have 40-1hr minutes to spare and the weather is good, it might be a nice walk from that accommodation building to campus through Holyrood Park and then through the Old Town.
(edited 2 years ago)
Sorry I’m jumping in this conversation to ask if anyone knows of short term accommodation available as I’ll be doing placement over the summer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending