The Student Room Group

pronunciation of "Keble"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Chruchill
How do you pronounce it if it isn't that then? :rolleyes:

Bailey'll
Reply 21
I started at Balliol 4 years ago and my Dad still pronounces it wrong, he says Bailey-oh
Reply 22
Original post by Jessaay!
Apparently it's "Gonville and Keys".

Although those who told me that could be mistaken :eek: but I'm pretty sure it's "Gonville and Keys"
Yes, it's pronounced Keys. The Caius part of the name is in honor of a sixteenth century patron/founder named Keys. As I had read several years ago, it may be that Keys, perhaps with an eye to 'upmarketing' his name, latinized it for use in the College's name.

From the College's website, regarding its history:
After a period of some decline, the College was refounded and extended in 1557 by former student and Fellow, John Keys. He spelled his name in many different ways (following Elizabethan practice), one of which was "Caius". This form was suitable for use in formal documents, which were all in Latin. Dr Caius, as we now know him, had studied medicine in Padua in Italy and set up a medical practice in the City of London. He was very successful, and after 10 years was sufficiently wealthy to offer to refound his old College of Gonville Hall as "Gonville and Caius College".
these pronunciations seriously just broke my poor non-english brain :eek2::eek3::eek4::eek::eek:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending