The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Nursing at City University of London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Did anyone manage to get in City Uni this year officially for Children nursing 2021?

Yup I did
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Original post by 01353
Yup I did

Congratulations! :smile:
Original post by Nadia@CityUoL-StudentRep

Hi Nadia!

I wanted to know what sort of things do we do on induction and on the first day of uni?

Thankyouu
Reply 44
Does anyone know if there is a group chat for child nursing?
Reply 45
Original post by 01353
Thankyouu

Original post by 01353
Yup I did

Congrats!
Hi Nadia!

I wanted to know what sort of things do we do on induction and on the first day of uni?

Hey,
Sure I understand you must be curious, I was too!
Induction and first day of university can differ each year but it's more getting used to the university, attending welcome lectures from the president of the university, alongside being introduced to many lecturers and school of health sciences staff who you will most likely be taught by.

Alongside this you will be introduced to the course on a whole, and get a general understanding on the different modules throughout your three years that you will undertake, and you will have opportunities to ask questions regarding university, and your course in general.
Furthermore the first week includes getting your ID badge sorted, and just familiarising yourself with the different classrooms, and lecture halls.

Also not forgetting that the first day/week is your chance to meet the people on your course and make some new friends as you're all in the same boat, so don't be shy!

Good luck on your future studies!

Nadia :smile:
Hey,
Sure I understand you must be curious, I was too!
Induction and first day of university can differ each year but it's more getting used to the university, attending welcome lectures from the president of the university, alongside being introduced to many lecturers and school of health sciences staff who you will most likely be taught by.

Alongside this you will be introduced to the course on a whole, and get a general understanding on the different modules throughout your three years that you will undertake, and you will have opportunities to ask questions regarding university, and your course in general.
Furthermore the first week includes getting your ID badge sorted, and just familiarising yourself with the different classrooms, and lecture halls.

Also not forgetting that the first day/week is your chance to meet the people on your course and make some new friends as you're all in the same boat, so don't be shy!

Good luck on your future studies!

Thank you so much for the info! Do you think the cohort of 2021 will be able to go to campus for lectures or is that still uncertain?
Hi Nadia,

Do you have any tips for exams and revision on anatomy and physiology?
Thank you so much for the info! Do you think the cohort of 2021 will be able to go to campus for lectures or is that still uncertain?

No worries glad I could help!
I can't say for certain if the cohort of 2021 will be able to go onto campus for lectures and seminars as with covid-19 everything is very uncertain, but what I can say is that the university are always following the guidelines that are produced by the government to keep both staff and students safe.

Also keep an eye on your emails and City's website so you will be informed about on campus lectures and seminars.

Hope this helps!

Hi Nadia,

Do you have any tips for exams and revision on anatomy and physiology?

Hi,
I have a few tips I think would be quite useful.

1) Try and figure out what type of learner you are, and by this I mean are you a visual learner, auditory learner or physical learner. This will help you when revising as if you are a visual learner you can make your notes colourful so this will help you remember them, or if you're an auditory learner this could mean you may need to voice record your notes and listen back to it. Figuring out the way you learn can make revising a lot easier for you.

2) Don't be scared to ask questions to your lecturers! Some concepts are complex and you may not get it first time round, so don't be afraid to ask your lecturers to explain again either face to face or via email.

3) Make a group chat with the students in your class. This is a lifesaver because having a group chat with people in your class can mean you can ask your friends questions about a particular concept of the module and work through it together, sometimes the best teachers are your friends.

4) At City for Nursing they provide you with access to the PowerPoint a week before the lesson, by doing this it allows you to see what you are learning and familiarising yourself with the content, so when you go into lesson you have some background knowledge which helps you understand the topic better. Bottom line is always use the opportunity to view the PowerPoint and make notes beforehand it really helps!

5) Also a way that helped me through this module is by making flashcards and writing the most important bits of information on the card and testing myself. Flashcards helped me remember a point and helped me expand in the exam.

Finally start writing notes early it is a lifesaver, and saves you a lot of stress

Hope this helps

hi just read this and feel so much better about city as a uni, I'm starting on Monday studying children's nursing. this really helped me thank you very much. I wanted to ask you about the work load and content, are the lectures really hard to understand, and is it really biology based? and the workload along with placement? how Is it? and how do you cope and find time for social life?thanks so so much!!!
Original post by Shefa.sorathiya
hi just read this and feel so much better about city as a uni, I'm starting on Monday studying children's nursing. this really helped me thank you very much. I wanted to ask you about the work load and content, are the lectures really hard to understand, and is it really biology based? and the workload along with placement? how Is it? and how do you cope and find time for social life?thanks so so much!!!

Hey,
You're very welcome! I'm glad my post helped you feel better about starting at City!

In my opinion I think lecturers are only hard if you do not put the work in, by this I mean if you don't do the pre-reading set for the lectures, or do not pay attention in the lecturers and put your best into it that's when it can seem difficult. However with that being said sometimes some aspects of modules can seem more difficult than others, and that's where independent learning, asking friends and asking your lecturers to explain again is more than welcome! :smile:

Through my three years it has not been heavily biology based it has been varied, however there is a dedicated biology module which focuses on the anatomy and physiology aspects. For this course you do not need to have pre-existing extensive biology knowledge, however it is good to understand there are aspects of biology within this course. The biology module is taught in a way that is easy to understand, and my top tip is always ask questions if unsure, and use Youtube for mini biology tutorials on certain aspects that really helped me!

I won't lie to you the workload alongside placement and juggling a social life can be pretty demanding and hectic, but this is where time management comes into play. Through this course you will know the dates of your placements and dates of assignment due dates and exams beforehand so this can give you time to plan your time accordingly so you don't get bunt out. Always make time for yourself so you can relax with friends, family or even by yourself as looking after your physical, mental and emotional health is just as important!.

Hope this all helps,

Not sure exactly, but I recieved an email from them regarding choice my interview time on the 25th January, but I forgot which time I chose. I got a congratulations email on the 26th February (I heard back from them 2 weeks after the interview but I think the email came after they uploaded their in UCAS TRACK) hope that helps..🧡🧡

Hey, What was the interview like? I have an interview with them and I was wondering what I can do to prepare for it? How many questions did they ask roughly?

Thanks
Hey Nadia,

Congratulations !

How can I prepare for my children nursing interview and what questions could they ask me? Do you have any tips for scenario questions?

Thank you 🤍
Original post by username1017888
Hey Nadia,

Congratulations !

How can I prepare for my children nursing interview and what questions could they ask me? Do you have any tips for scenario questions?

Thank you 🤍

Hey,
Thank you!
I would say my top tip for preparing is have answers ready as to why you chose children's nursing, don't make it generic, give an answer that is truthful to you. Don't forget there are other branches of nursing, why did you pick children's nursing?

Also scenario based questions in the interview can be based on how you would react if there was a conflict, what methods you would use to de-escalate that conflict. This is one of many scenario based questions that may come up. With these types of questions, my advice would be answer it professionally and empathetically, as these are important factors for when you are a qualified nurse.

Good luck with it all!

Hey,
Thank you!
I would say my top tip for preparing is have answers ready as to why you chose children's nursing, don't make it generic, give an answer that is truthful to you. Don't forget there are other branches of nursing, why did you pick children's nursing?

Also scenario based questions in the interview can be based on how you would react if there was a conflict, what methods you would use to de-escalate that conflict. This is one of many scenario based questions that may come up. With these types of questions, my advice would be answer it professionally and empathetically, as these are important factors for when you are a qualified nurse.

Good luck with it all!

Thank you!
What would be the typical questions they could ask you? So I can use for practise
Thank you!
What would be the typical questions they could ask you? So I can use for practise

I can't give you a list of typical questions because they do change up every year but a few questions I know that are quite common are;
1) Why did you chose nursing?
2) What are your future goals? (Link this to nursing)
3) Scenario based question; If a parent was being aggressive towards you what action would you take?

Hope all this helps

Hey everyone!

I hope you are all doing well, especially in these current situations we have found ourselves in.

Welcome to City, University of London’s Nursing thread, where you can ask me anything about studying Nursing at City, whether it be an Adult, Children’s or Mental Health Nursing course and feel free to ask any burning questions you may have about student life at City. I’ll jump in with some suggestions and answers 😊

Start a discussion by answering the questions below:

- What type of field of nursing are you considering getting into?

- Where else are you thinking of applying to study nursing?

- Is nursing your ideal degree and career choice?

- At what stage are you with your research/application?

Find all the latest information on nursing and the course offerings on our Nursing webpage.

Wishing you all well!

Nadia

Official City, University of London Student Rep

Hi, Nadia

I hope you are well, I have got a children's nursing interview on 23 February and I really want to go to the city. I know you are doing child nursing. I would really appreciate it if you could give me some tips to prepare for the interview and what type of questions or scenario-based do they ask?
thanks,
Original post by Fatimamashal306
Hi, Nadia

I hope you are well, I have got a children's nursing interview on 23 February and I really want to go to the city. I know you are doing child nursing. I would really appreciate it if you could give me some tips to prepare for the interview and what type of questions or scenario-based do they ask?
thanks,

Hi how did your interview go, what kind of questions did they ask? I have mine in a few days time and its my first irl interview

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending